View Single Post
Old 18-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #20
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Tank, bodywork & colour...

So, the basic layout of the bike established I need to look into the tank, 'bodywork' & colour.

Initially I was thinking red but then had a change of plan when I found a nice metallic silver tank, plus I already have a red Ducati. Either way the frame & wheels were always going to be black.

I then later found a new black Metallic tank and was smitten with it, black and sparkly and I like the dark, stealth, even mean look - Wife said it looks like a 'Devil bike'...

Metallica;

'Sparklies';

The tank is for a later model 'Monster Metallica' which are 900ie models so although it fits fine it has provision for internal electric fuel pump/filter etc so will require a little thinking to get it right for a carby bike.

I have an electric pump assembly and will run a 'loop' to the carbs with a return to the tank to ensure that they don't get over-pressurised (I understand FCR's tend to leak/overflow if the pressure is too high), hopefully this will work OK? if still too much then I will need to fit/devise some kind of pressure regulator or reducer.

Anyway I'm glad to get rid of the external, mechanical fuel pump, tap & filter to reduce clutter and give me more cool air flow to the rear cylinder to help keep the temperature down.

Moving onto 'bodywork', not a faired bike but as you all know there are several plastic parts here & there and I'm a bit of a Carbon-fibre fan which, combined with the black bike look you can see where this is going; Carbon-fibre mudguard, hugger, side panels, seat cowl, belt covers, air 'deflectors', exhaust heat shields, number plate tray thingy and I've got a carbon fibre flyscreen that I will test for wind reduction and, assuming it helps in that area I will probably fit, unless it really spoils the look - again the jury is out on that one for now.

To be continued...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020201a.jpg (31.0 KB, 721 views)
File Type: jpg P1020206a.jpg (30.7 KB, 719 views)
File Type: jpg P1010435a.jpg (29.8 KB, 721 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0249a.jpg (32.0 KB, 726 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0248a.jpg (31.4 KB, 738 views)

Dukedesmo is online now   Reply With Quote