View Single Post
Old 19-05-2011, 12:30 PM   #26
Davidg1230

Well, eventful so far, my bike arrived this morning, wheeled out looking all shiny from the nice man in a van who had brought it all the way down from Scarborough.

It looks immaculate and a special thanks to Jonnie Comet for the sale.

So, my firsy journey this morning was to work, across London to Stratford, about 10 miles. The bike feels incredible and sound and handles just like a Ducati should.

I did however though have a problem, whilst riding along the bike suddenly began to shudder and slow down dramatically. I was doing about 35mph and had just changed gear, I managed to pull over as the bike began to slow even more suddenly,managed to pull up and select neutral, but only to find the bike wouldn't move? couldn't work out what was wrong so quickly switched off the engine. I took my helmet and gloves off and after about a minute was able to slow push the biek off the road, albeit very slowly. After 5 mins later and various calls I deceide to move the bike again and this time it moved very smoothly,with no issues at all? With this in mind I rode straight to Metropolis in Vauxhall and spoke to the Ducati service engineer who probably said it was me changing up to a high gear with not enough revs and because of the high compression of the engine, it was juddering and stalling, wtf!? anyway after explaining it was my first big bike and first journey, I sort of believed him and that I was the noob, doubted myself that I had not selected neutral before I tried to push it.

So I let and carried on back to work, only for it to happen again whilst I was coming to a junction, this time I was already in first and selecting neutral made not difference to being able to push it. Again, I was able to slowly move the bike after 2 mins and get it off the road. After another call to Metropolis and another bike buddy I realaised it must be something else. I then looked down at the brake reservoir window and couldn't see any fluid in either chamber?

My question is, I should clearly see fluid in these and this is why the rear brake is binding? it would make sense that after 2 or 3 mins I can move the bike? i.e the brake cools and the pressure releases allowing me to push the bike?

Could it be any other mechanical issue? I've already texted previous owner who has also suggested this could be the probelm. I've ridden to work slowly just using the front brake, but would like to know if I could easily top up the levels and bleed myself, but unsure how to do this? should I get the AA guy out tonight when I get home and let him do it?

Not a good start to ownership, but the bike is incredible and is in fantastic condition. Oh, and the white wheels are already dirty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0014.jpg (31.5 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Davidg1230; 19-05-2011 at 12:36 PM..