View Single Post
Old 17-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #8
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
I'd second the value of the legal protection scheme. Takes a lot of the hassle out of making a claim.

I've been with Devitt since I returned to biking a few years ago. Can't remember what I'm paying, but its not excessive, for the monster and a '96 Dominator.
Had an interesting experience when I just had the Dommie, and had a kamikaze car pull out at point-blank range.
The bike looked a mess and they agreed to call it a cat D writeoff, and gave me £1400 (I'd only paid £1650 a year or so earlier) and I kept the bike. No mention was made of the aftermarket cans.
On close inspection I realised that it wasn't as bad as I'd thought, and after straightening the forks in the yokes, fitting a new set of bars that I had hanging around anyway, and applying a little gaffar-tape to the damaged bodywork, I just spent a couple of quid on a can of butane for the blowlamp, to heat and straighten the front brake lever. That was all it cost. I'm still riding it today. It ended up being virtually a free bike.
On top of that, I received a £4k payout for riding gear and compensation for my injured knee. The helmet was old and overdue for replacement anyway, and the jacket was only slightly damaged...I'm still using it. They did have to cut the right leg off my levis, mind you, but they were bought cheap off the market anyway. The damage to my right knee was a bit of a pain, but after 18months full movement was eventually restored, and the scar is minimal. I used the £4k to buy the monster.
So, overlooking a little pain and discomfort, I ended up with two completely free motorcycles.
Now that IS a result.
And probably all thanks to the legal protection scheme which chased the case on my behalf.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote