View Single Post
Old 28-02-2010, 11:47 AM   #7
Thirdway

Well this is my first Monster, a nice red 1100S. I hardly gave a glance to the previous generation Monsters and I remember seeing an early 900 while shopping for a BMW GS and it just looked dated and a bit folorn.

I did look at the S2R and quite liked it but never enough to buy. My eye was drawn to the 916 for looks or the Uglistrada as the sensible option. Neither gave me the idea that they would be sensible buys because of the reputation for sky high servicing and poor reliability.

The new Monster range was the first time I had even considered buying one. I was in the shop buying a new Street Triple when I came across the 696 and thought 'hmm that looks great, very slim, nicely up to date and well built'. It stuck in my mind just how slim it looked, more FS1E than the usual bikes (I mean that in a good way). The impression was of a lithe, easy to ride bike with great style and build quality.......something missing from the early generation IMO as they just looked really old fashioned.

That impression stayed with me while I was riding the Striple for a couple of years and fancied a change. In the back of my mind was the idea of buying the bigger Monster, although sanity was moving me towards a Fireblade . It was only the dealer who knows me well enough that suggested I would be bored with the Fireblade after a few months. I tentatively suggested my thoughts about the Monster, I was almost embarassed to mention the bike as it was so far away from the bikes I normally ride. The dealer grinned and said 'perfect' and had just bought an 1100S for himself

So that was that. I bought it their and then, touring seat and all and I absolutely love it. Never touched the suspension, added a Oberon clutch actuator (don't really think I needed it but such is the fetish of Monster Modifications we all seem to know so well). Would consider some rear sets as the passenger peg arm looks a bit 'forth bridge' and quite like the Leo Vinci stainless slip on cans.

Now, looking back after owning one for a few months I understand them a lot better and I can see that an old generation bike isn't the thing I once thought it was. I still prefer the newer model - which IMO is every inch a Monster as it sticks to the less is more philosophy while having a subtle update and some welcome modifications-but that doesn't stop me appreciating the old model either and had I known what I know now, then I might have had one earlier.

My only thought is that aircooled = Monster and watercooled =something else. The monster is about stripped back simplicity and as long as it retains those elements it's a Monster.