View Single Post
Old 15-08-2009, 08:09 PM   #13
Snips

OK, I fitted my carbon hugger without removing the wheel, but it was very fiddly.

You need to access a bolt with an allen key on the inside of the swing arm, accessing from swing arm side. The allen key I used would just fit between the bolt and the tyre. However, the alignment of the allen key hexagon was such that it was barely possible to get the key in and turn the key.

The first breakthrough was to remove the other two bolts holding the original plastic hugger, to allow the hugger some play such that the key could be turned more - still very fiddly however.

Once I had the original hugger removed, I had to reverse the procedure. However, while trying to start the bolt into the hole, it slipped from my fingers and onto a ledge inside the swingarm (that dark void above the chain in the first photo). I could just see the bolt with a torch, but attempting to retrieve it with pliers knocked it into a small hole to the left, down further into the swing-arm - very inaccessible.

It took a series of panic, failed recovery attempts and lots of head-scratching before my wife recovered the bolt (on first attempt!) using a bar magnet inside some cellophane attached to a string, and dangled into the void.

After that it was a frustrating, but relatively simple, task of putting the awkward bolt back in one micro-turn at a time.

The last picture shows the final result!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cavern.jpg (28.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Magnet.jpg (27.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg CF_Hugger_small.jpg (33.3 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by Snips; 15-08-2009 at 08:12 PM..