Thread: trackday mods
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2007, 12:07 PM   #8
Gilps

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapps View Post
Hi gilps and scrumps, My main problem is budget (very small) I would like all mods on gilps list and a few more.. but need to get the most important first. ground clearance not My biggest prob as not got pegs down on the monster yet. i will try to sort it bit by bit over the winter,as bits are found on club sites and ebay ect, so first motor serviced,then brakes and tryes. then others as parts pop up i can afford. I like the idea of standard cans with longer link pipes as it will be a cheaper option than new a set
cheers for the ideas..
fair enough, but here's my advice for what its worth. The first time that you get the merest scrape from the pegs, brake pedal, or can, then stop riding until you get yourself some ground clearance. I was merrily scraping away until the whole shebang touched down. Then it's game over. Phil C had an off at Brands when his pegs touched down, Matt T lost his at Cadwell for the same reason. There really isn't much ground clearance for what is a semi-sports bike. I reckon for £300 you could get a used ie shock, rearsets and sort the cans. Your first off is going to cost you more than that.
A cheap fix for the rearsets is to fit a plate on the original mount points, drill holes in it and refit the pegs to the plate higher and further back.
If I was to spend any money on a track bike the very first thing I would work on is the suspension, not the brakes or body work. If the thing won't go round corners then everything else becomes an irrelevance.