View Single Post
Old 08-11-2006, 03:21 PM   #1
aelius

Red face Looking for advice on my first big V

Hi,

I've just got my first monster (S2R800) having upgraded from a DT125 and am slowly getting to grips with a bike that actually accelerates, but I have a small (possibly very stupid) question to ask...

When changing gear, and pulling away - especially round tight corners, mini-roundabouts and the like - I feel a heavy thumping from the engine, until I get up to speed, when things even out a little. I've experimented cornering in different gears, but no matter what I do, I always get that thumping sensation.

My problem is that it's the same feeling I used to get on my DT moments before it chuntered to a stop and stalled. However, on my monster it seems to have a general 'thump' to it anyway, even when gassing it. So I'm not sure if it's a natural aesthetic of the V-twin engine that it makes a deep pop-pop-popping as you accelerate at low speed, or if I'm just in the wrong gear and the engine's labouring!!

Anyone who can hold in their laughter at my total lack of experience would be helping me a great deal if they could offer some insight into the idiosyncrasies of the V-twin riding experience...

Thanks,

Alex