View Single Post
Old 18-10-2005, 11:28 PM   #37
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Thumbs up Nice one

As slob said the risers are cast with the top yoke on later monsters, so your stuck with them when you change to clip-ons. Options are milling the blocks off and fitting a cover plate of some sort, or swapping to the earlier yoke without the risers and then fitting a cover plate.

Mine didn't have the risers so i just knocked up an ally cover plate/bracket for the lumiglo clock i fitted, which I just stuck on with blobs of clear silicone sealant - may be an option for your grip switch? The only headache was caused when I swapped to 53mm 916 forks as well, which entailed using an early monster yoke machined to suit. I discovered the clock unit mounts differ from my later 900 dark, so had to improvise with 6mm studding and dome nuts.

Hope you get on ok with the new setup, as I said earlier I added risers in the end but it makes getting the cables and hoses to reach a PITA. Didn't need to drop my forks as they had around 25mm proud as standard, so dropping yours 10mm may quicken up the steering a tad.

Stick with it - it will seem weird at first, but don't be afraid to fiddle until it feels spot on. I adjusted mine a lot until I was happy, and ended up with them angled a long way back - I notice yours are set quite straight at present?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clip1a.jpg (80.8 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg clip2.jpg (65.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg clip3.jpg (78.2 KB, 25 views)