Thread: ramble
View Single Post
Old 19-04-2005, 11:27 AM   #14
MilesB

A number of points to consider here, especially as we are going to move house this year, which means I will need to start commuting again – I use shanks pony at the moment. I’ve commuted by bike before (Suzuki Bandit), but when I got the Monster the choice was taken knowing that I did not have to use it to get to work.

I know of a number of people who do commute daily on their Monsters, but I am also very aware of the cost of servicing / insurance, etc. As well as the need for a reasonable length of run in order to get the bike up to operating temperature, etc. In addition, I run a 900 – and the dry clutch is not so good an idea if having to do a lot of town work. So obviously the choice of what to do will depend upon exactly where we end up living, distance (and type) of commute.

I don’t mind cleaning the thing – although around here I’d have to at least hose it down every day during the winter when I got home – unless I was going to try and compete with Nik for the dirtiest Monster award . Having used one on my Bandit when I commuted by bike before, a Scottoiler is a must. (Please discuss elsewhere).

If it’s a reasonable run, I may use Susan’s SV650 as a commuter bike, or if it is a ‘short’ run then I’ll get a scooter – although most of them look pants - maybe I could get a Gilera DNA 180 from somewhere? (love the design , but would want the biggest engine).

Knowing that we were going to move has concentrated my mind on this over the past few months – what bike would be good – assuming a reasonable length of run, and what features are necessary/desirable?? What can I say – given a choice of any bike, I probably wouldn’t start with a Monster 900. Ideally I’d want a bit of weather protection, comfortable ride position, avoid chain drive if possible, wet clutch, cheap servicing costs, and good reliability. (And NO, I don’t want a Honda Dullville). It also has to be FUN and Look Good (Beauty being in the eye…) for weekend hooning.

The following are possibles:
1) baby Multistrada, but chain drive and servicing costs… plus it will be a fiddle to clean like the Monster.
2) Maybe the Buell CityX, but questions about reliability (stop laughing PD!)
3) Yamaha’s proposed MT-03 looked great, but apparently they aren’t going to use the prototypes belt drive (bad decision), so looses a big advantage.
4) new Aprillia Strada? Unknown at this point, and has chain drive.
5) Moto Guzzi V11 ???? Less practical, but I like a lot in the absence of a practical MGS-01. (Did I hear a rumour of a proposed Guzzi equivalent of a multistrada??)
6) Whisper it… BMW

Descisions, decisions