PDA

View Full Version : Winter Glove Recommendations

Phoenix
01-12-2004, 07:05 PM
My lad rides to college 28 miles away early morning and late evening. He's complaining the gloves he has even though winter ones still leave his hands cold.
Any recommendations to keep his pinkies warm please?
I've thought about the muff type and hot hands grips but figure they would fry his 125's electrics.

celt
01-12-2004, 07:13 PM
held gore-tex winter gloves £79 (got 1st in ride readers poll all season glove)
texport defender £79.99 (go 1st in ride all season gloves)

spacemonkey
01-12-2004, 07:43 PM
I find the Frank Thomas 'Bandit' gloves quite good, but they are a little short in the wrist to go over some jackets. Waterproof to boot, and only £30. I think they changed the name this year for some reason....

Duncan
01-12-2004, 08:14 PM
Heated handlebar grips.........

Zimbo
01-12-2004, 10:07 PM
HG Pathan (lobster claw) at around £30 ish were always well thought of. He can amuse himself by frightening the gurlies at college with them too.
BTW did you know theres a HG in Cheltenham now?

My neighbour commutes 30 miles each way on a CB500 with handlebar muffs, seems to get on well with them.

br1an
01-12-2004, 11:17 PM
[QUOTE=Zimbo]HG Pathan (lobster claw) at around £30 ish were always well thought of. He can amuse himself by frightening the gurlies at college with them too.

I'll second that. They are excellent. :)

Bry...

BoozyBOB
01-12-2004, 11:49 PM
I have used 'TEKNIC' Aquaslim for a while now...great in all weathers..(except torential rain on the way home from Arrow)...when the tips of my fingers were a bit cold and wet...but i had been wearing them all weekend...got them from J&S in Newbury from the bargain bin for £25

nik_the_brief
02-12-2004, 11:12 AM
They can get hot and sweaty but has he tried wearing latex gloves (as worn by tattooists and proctologists) under his winter ones? Very effective and cheap to boot!

Mark Walker
02-12-2004, 11:34 AM
[QUOTE=Zimbo]
QUOTE]

I did! Seeing as it is just down the road from me......went in the other week and they polished my helmet for me!

MotoNik
02-12-2004, 12:24 PM
I've heard really got things about the "lobster claw" gloves too - my brother used to have some and really rated them in the cold.

Alternatively (if the electrics are up to it) I can recommend Oxford "Hot Hands" - they're a pair of heated elements that you wrap around the hand grips on the bike, they're neoprene covered, and fasten with velcro. Wire them up to the battery (even an electrical numpty like me can do it) and turn them on or off with a little switch which you cable tie to the handlebars. They're really good - they actually get too hot after a while!

I think they're about fifty quid (I was given mine for Chrimbo last year) and well worth it.

Being velcored on means you can take them off when you don't want to use them, so they're not a permanent mod to the bike, which is quite handy (scuse the pun)

I'll take a photo and post it if anyone's interested?

Nik

queen_gpants
02-12-2004, 03:53 PM
Knoxx do a range of under garments called Cold Killers, I bought the gloves, socks and knee warmers (don't laugh I've got bad knees) they're great and stop the wind getting in.

You can also buy those silk under gloves or try an army surplus store, you can get snug fitting woolly gloves to go under your normal gloves.

I used to have the Oxford hot grips on my nc30 and they were quite good but I found the tops of my hands still got cold after a while, the following winter I was riding a GSXR600 and decided it would look pretty naff having hot grips so I went without and boy did I miss them!

The Kevlar Kid
02-12-2004, 04:12 PM
latex gloves under his winter ones? Very effective and cheap to boot!

I'll second this one definately works.

I always used to ride all year round, 60 mile round trip to work and back, and found my best remedies were silk gloves (available from a lot of bike shops or catering suppliers) under my waterproof winter gloves (helps to get the sweaty gloves on and off as well). They don't seem like much but make a hell of a difference - put it this way I'm currently still riding with summer gloves with the silks underneath and am fine (other than yesterday morning).

When it gets really cold, i go for the latex gloves...... (make of that what you will).

The other solution was motorcross style hand guards, not as cosy as muffs (you can't beat a warm muff - old joke but someone had to do it) but the motorcross guards dont trap the throttle or clutch and brake levers like the muffs can and are therefore safer.

The Kevlar Kid
02-12-2004, 04:14 PM
Knoxx do a range of under garments called Cold Killers, !

I've got the gloves and neck thingy of these. The neck things are great, but I find the gloves a bit bulky and less effective than the silk...

Mand
03-12-2004, 07:24 PM
HG Pathan (lobster claw) at around £30 ish were always well thought of. He can amuse himself by frightening the gurlies at college with them too.

My neighbour commutes 30 miles each way on a CB500 with handlebar muffs, seems to get on well with them.

OOOO! I love my Hein Gericke trotters, I look a complete freak in them and I get a great deal of comedy material out of them - but they are brill!

slug
03-12-2004, 07:57 PM
I tried Klan heated inners last year but they got too hot and burned a 'wiggly' pattern on the back of my hand. Having good access to the on/off switch whilst you are riding is a must. Unfortunately the left glove stopped working and I wrecked it whilst trying to mend it :rolleyes:

This winter I am mostly using Oxford heated grips and they are great. They only cost 29.99 on ebay. :)

A Yerbury
03-12-2004, 10:56 PM
a nice woolly muff.