PDA

View Full Version : Rear Light Woes

daedos
24-11-2004, 07:15 PM
Riding around these dark nights with no rear/brake light is not a bright idea so .... has anybody got any tips on how to keep the contacts on the bulb? I have tried bending the contacts, but the bulb keeps travelling in the holder. Pretty crap design

Scotty
24-11-2004, 07:23 PM
spend cash and replace wi sumit better / more bling/chavaish/stylish
or
solder the contacts in place ;)

DesmoDom
24-11-2004, 07:25 PM
Stuart at Spareshack sells a very nice LED tail light unit that fits straight in and you can have either a clear lens or keep your original one.
Fit one of these and you'll have no more problems.

Baz

Richard_S
24-11-2004, 07:29 PM
i had/am having the same issues. im reliably told its due to the "v twin vibes"
I had a good old tinker on Monday and touch wood should be fine.

i didnt solder the contacts (alas i am a 1 screw driver owning man) but with a bit of effort you can sculpt them in a fashion where even with the bends they stay hooked up. its all in the wiggle. I'll let ya know how I get on.

A Yerbury
24-11-2004, 07:31 PM
I replaced mine not long ago as some un named fool overtightened the screws resulting in cracked plastic, orderd one from jhp and quel surprise, not just the lens but the whole lot for about 11 quid? who said ducks were pricey?

Albie
24-11-2004, 07:49 PM
Just bought a BLING one. As seen the other day on Bobs and Paul Critchards LED one. Looks great on the monnie. Seems as it was made for the bike. Well the ad pics a monnie. No more blown bulbs or loose contacts. The other week I was followed with no light or brake lights :eek: :eek: . How long for though :eek:

Pedro
24-11-2004, 10:32 PM
I've got folded bits of silver paper in mine....

LED on the shopping list

Ped

DesmoDom
24-11-2004, 10:39 PM
Ped, the LED one I've got, has the indicators with the tail light, they're really bright as is the stop & tail part of it. I got it from Stuart when we were at the Mallory track day, well worth the money :D :D :D

Baz

Pedro
24-11-2004, 10:46 PM
Ped, the LED one I've got, has the indicators with the tail light, they're really bright as is the stop & tail part of it. I got it from Stuart when we were at the Mallory track day, well worth the money :D :D :D

Baz

Cheers Baz

I've actually got a pile of LEDs in my garage so I'm gonna get a little creative before I part with any moolah!

Ped

JMo
24-11-2004, 10:49 PM
I do like (the concept of) those combined LED lamps like Baz has, just a shame the outer lense only comes in Saxo clear...

Rich - is the bulb blowing all the time (typically the tail light rather than the stop lamp filament), or are the contacts just coming loose?

If the bulb is blowing, I think I have a cure (as suggested by Pete at Protwins, I couldn't take the credit) - you need to rubber mount the rear light unit, and in your case reposition the indicator brackets I made (as you don't want the lamp bolts to be as tight as you need secure them) - I've done this on mine and it works fine now...

I would add this is not a side-effect of the tail chop per se, as GT has his chopped and it's fine (as is Sazza-J's, my own work no less) while Pedro doesn't have a chop, and blows bulbs - it seems to be a Monny/Ducati trait - I blame it on my gentle low-revs riding style... ahem.

xxx

Richard_S
25-11-2004, 08:32 AM
thanks for that jen. I'll see how I go over the next few days and if I still have problems I'll give it a whirl.

i have gone through 6 ish bulbs in 6 ish weeks, all blown to buggery.

Its just as well that I only had to nip downstairs and see our man Derek the parts guru. The concept of having to factor in bulb shopping to ones everyday existance is quite frankly terrible.

norrie
25-11-2004, 11:07 AM
I just got a new tail light assembly off e-bay for £10 as the one on Gill's bike was looking a bit scabby.
It's genuine Ducati as well.

Norrie.