PDA

View Full Version : Bike won't start - nada

james007
22-11-2004, 09:29 AM
seems to be a problem at the moment...after having some dificulty starting after a 2 week absence, the Duke eventually came to life, and rode beautifully. However, after turning off, I tried to turn on again and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. It's as if the starter motor isn't plugged in. I've checked the fuses, replaced the plugs....agghghh, any ideas? :mad:

MikeG
22-11-2004, 11:54 AM
Try the relays under the seat, twas the little yellow one that did it for me.

dazzi-b
22-11-2004, 11:59 AM
The relay caused the same problem for me too :mad:

james007
22-11-2004, 12:01 PM
hmmm, what am I checking? Is it dificult?

Julie
22-11-2004, 12:11 PM
it was the same for me!....well ruth acctually!

its as easy as pluging a plug in. an inch squre yello box, pull it out tap it put it back in...it might work then..if not buy a new one from ducati £5.00 and put the new one in. job done.

Are all your fuses ok?

james007
22-11-2004, 12:20 PM
yeah, I checked all the fuses, and they are fine. I will check the relay tonight then. thanks.

Pedro
22-11-2004, 01:07 PM
Prise the top off the relay and clean between to contact points carefully with fine wet & dry, blow the dust off and reassemble - should be just fine and you'll save £5.

Ped

james007
22-11-2004, 10:19 PM
can't find the bloody thing, where is it? Certainly no yellow box under the seat!!!!
:confused:

PaulS
22-11-2004, 10:32 PM
You won't find a yellow relay on your bike under the seat. The people with these have older bikes with carbs. The relays on the newer injection bikes have their relays under the tank area. The starter motor relay on my bike is on the right hand side by the fuse box and has two thick cables attached to it - one from the battery and one going to the starter motor. I think there are one or two other smaller relays that control the feeds to the fuel pump, etc... The relays I have are all black. Do you get the usual whirring noise from the fuel pump when you first turn on the ignition? Make sure your battery is in good condition and fully charged. The starting on my bike is marginal in colder weather unless the battery is fully charged.

grunter
23-11-2004, 07:43 PM
hope this helps

MotoNik
24-11-2004, 05:15 PM
I've been experiencing similar problems with my SS - it's all down to the fuel injection relay. Not sure where it is on yours, but mine is located next to the battery. Likely to be either a Siemens or Bosch relay.

You may find that the starter relay is fine, but the FI relay isn't. Easy enough to check if the relay is working by putting a PP9 battery across the terminals - it should click when you apply a voltage.

Having said that, mine appeared to be fine, but still seems suspect, so I'll be replacing it anyway. Bladdy electrics, it's all a mystery to me!

cheers,

Nik

james007
05-12-2004, 09:47 PM
just to follow up - after staring at the various parts (without actually doing anything) I decided to push start the f*cker. Well, on the first attempt there was actually some spark, but it took me by surprise, and I had to try again...this time there was a crash as I jumped onto the bike in full stride - damn - kicked of the indicator. Pissed off now, I thought what the hell, turned the key and she started 1st time, and has done so for the last week - ahhh, bliss. Indicator busted though - guess that's the excuse I need to chop off the tail!!! :twisted: