PDA

View Full Version : starting problem

MotoNik
16-11-2004, 12:26 PM
Hi All,

I'm after a bit of electric advice, if anyone's able/willing to help me please.

My bike (900ss IE - yes, I know, not a Monster, I'm sorry! This happens to be the best technical forum I've found, and I used to own an M600!) turns over, but will not start. There is no fuel pump whine when I turn on the ignition, and no sparks either. So I'm guessing it's a fuel injection problem - possibly a relay or something like that. Battery is fine, as are all other electrics.

The FI relay appears to be next to the battery (I'm guessing that's what it is) - would anyone be able to explain to me how to check a relay is functioning correctly using a multimeter please? I've never used one before, and it's time I learned how to!

Any advice on diagnosing the problem would be very much appreciated.

cheers,

Nik

Pedro
16-11-2004, 04:21 PM
Nik

pull the relay off, prise the cover off carefully and check the contacts aren't grubby with a little fine wet & dry.

Ped

MotoNik
17-11-2004, 12:20 PM
Thanks Pete (Pedro!). Next time just shout across the office though! :D And here I am replying!!

I've brought what I hope to be the offending relay in to work with me, so it'll be out with the screwdrivers and other assorted prying instruments, to try and get the top off...

cheers,

Nik