PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Clutch Plates Anyone??

Byron Kauffman
16-11-2004, 07:15 AM
I have noticed a situation when the Monster sits for a while. A few months ago we were a little busy with the hurricanes so I wasnt able to get the bike out. When I finally did, I noticed the clutch was acting like it was either in or out with no smooth transition. It was a little tricky for the first few miles then after working the clutch it went back to normal. I had a similar situation this week after it had sat for a few weeks. Our climate is high humidity with daily rain in the summer much like you have. It has to be the clutch plates sticking to each other since I have seen more dramatic versions of this in old cars parked for years. I was wondering if any of you had a similar problem. I run the full clutch cover with the factory rubber seal. I thought it might happen more to those that run the open cover letting in water. I never have this happen when I can ride the bike on a regular basis so I guess that is the real solution. I just have to be careful on that first time I put it in gear after it sits.

Pedro
16-11-2004, 07:34 AM
Byron

it could be the pushrod sticking. Where the rod passes through the engine there are two small O rings about 2-3 inches from the slave cylinder. I found that clutch dust builds up on the clutch side of these causing the rod to "drag". There is also a small bearing and seal at the clutch end of the shaft where the rod exits which may also be gummed up with dust.

For grabby plates, I've been advised that a few aggressive starts (lots of revs & lots of slip) generally cleans off any glaze that makes plates grabby.

Hope this helps.

Ped

spacemonkey
16-11-2004, 05:15 PM
I'll agree with that. When the basket wears and becomes grooved where the plates slot in, it can cause grabbiness too, but I don't think this is the case as it would just get worse, not be temporary. The other thing to check is leaky slave of course. Me and Ped use the 996 (?) slave with a longer pushrod from the same bike, and the design of these won't encourage the leaky slave syndrome.