PDA

View Full Version : front not firing

A Yerbury
09-11-2004, 10:12 AM
running fine thurs / friday, took her in for shock swap/fork seals rear bleed..all non engine stuff. but now Im only running on the up right? I know carb icing etc buth the pro fst is in there, there is a juicy fat spark at the front, the battery is a new full yuasa, I pointed a heat gun at the front carb for a few minutes even tried the carb a little richer/leaner (1/4 turn each way) the mechanic is off today so anything else I could try before taking her in tomorrow for more £xpenditure?!
cheers.
Alex.
"get an injected 900" yes, I had thought off that already! so no smarty pants replies along those lines please...............(bertie)

stef
09-11-2004, 10:20 AM
ignition timing is off ? (you get a fat spark, but at the wrong time)
I'll see how long it takes for someone in the kown to tell me this cant be. :confused:

A Yerbury
09-11-2004, 10:30 AM
It cant be! as the upright timing is ok, they cant be changed independantly of one another (I hope)

stef
09-11-2004, 10:33 AM
pretty quick..
then it's a tough one. if you have a good spark at the right time, it can only be fuelling..but that, you knew already.
what happens if you make a sacrificial offering ? a chicken ? neighbours pet ?
i'd try that.

A Yerbury
09-11-2004, 10:50 AM
there are some sheep at the bottom of the garden.....

Richard_S
09-11-2004, 11:12 AM
think ur getting confused with the poddington peas. I for one would not like to cast aspurtions that the aforementioned are co-habbiting with a collection of hopefuls destined to become part of arfurs next jacket. shame on you.

Pedro
09-11-2004, 12:11 PM
Yerbs

you may find that the plug is breaking down under compression and not sparking. Try swapping front and rear over and see if the prob moves.

If not, it sounds like it's broken.....

Ped

A Yerbury
09-11-2004, 02:05 PM
muchas gracias! its always the obvious things we overlook! after a few hearty pops as 5 miles of gumpf in the cylinder burnt off all is well untill the next time! looks like icing and then fouling-note to self: carry spare plug and rag, and try a bit of optimax...one thing I didnt mention was that whilst tidying I took the carb warmers off! hmmmmmm I'm going to run a couple of lines up to the front carb I think as that seems to be the problem area. has anyone tried the electrical heaters or know of a good supplier? being an aesthetic ponce I cant be doing with miiles of dangly bike guts.

A Yerbury
09-11-2004, 02:06 PM
one more thing, plug gap? o.6 mm?

stef
09-11-2004, 02:51 PM
see.. i told you a sacrifice would make it go again.. so did you go for the sheep ?

A Yerbury
09-11-2004, 04:41 PM
I used to go for sheep but then the rspca stepped in.............idiot that I am swapped plugs over quick up and down the road "hmm now its the upright-doh" is this an occasional problem with iffy plugs this one was nearly new? why do they spark but then not under pressure? anyway put a couple of denso s in and all seems fine bar the occasional characterfull "pop"

Garry Hogan
09-11-2004, 07:05 PM
If a spark plug is getting tired, :confused: it will, as you have found out, spark OK when out of the cylinder but when you put it back in - it wont! :eek: As the piston rises on the compression stroke, it literally "blows" the spark out if the plug is crook! Even a nice fat blue spark is no guarantee of how a plug will perform once in situ. Glad you sussed it out, Garry. :burnout:

A Yerbury
09-11-2004, 07:30 PM
the thing is it was only a week or so old and I had (hardly) been anywhere on it, oh well nothing is perfect.
ps a monster limping on one pot is a pitiful sight....

Pedro
09-11-2004, 10:02 PM
Yerbs

I bought some new NGKs a while ago and they lasted about 150 miles before I had to chuck em out. Didn't look too bad but bad miss fire.....

Pays to check the simple things eh?

Ped

A Yerbury
09-11-2004, 10:21 PM
it also pays to have someone point out the simple things once in a while! cheers again.

spacemonkey
09-11-2004, 10:40 PM
SPACEMONKEY IN 'IT HAPPENED TO ME' SHOCK!!!

Yup, I had the same prob with new plugs and it took ages to suss it. Bloody plugs were Ducati shop jobs too...

Alex, do you want the oil heater lines back? I'm tripping down to Ma's this weekend (hopefully to be re-united with my bike..) and can bring the lines back with me and pop them in the post?

If you want to do the electronic heaters then i have some info for you. I too thought of adding them as a belts and braces approach as the oil heaters don't dork for 15 mins or so, and don't work too well at sustained speed, as the oil is already cooled before it reaches the carbs. Soooo... I discovered that Suzuki flog them individually (Ducati do not) for about £35 all in. The ones off the old style SV650 are what you are after. The air temp sensor is like a black pound coin and dangles in the air infront of the carbs, and the heaters screw into the float bowls. They work by heating the metal around the pipe that the petrol goes up into the jet. It might take a bit of studying to find the ideal spot for this, but once you have started there is no going back, unless you can find an effective blanking plug. Maybe get some apre bowls first? It is worth noting that all carbed Monsteres use the same carbs and they also feature on the old TDM 850 Yamaha. Either that or track down some leccy heated carbs themselves off a scrapper but there is more chance of finding fairies with your sheep. Though considering where you live, they might just be Welsh.

A Yerbury
09-11-2004, 10:58 PM
funny you should mention that, tell you what yank the banjos off and stick them in the post if thats ok, the lines were shabby and full off oil and moisture but I may make some fresh ones (using red chav lines no doubt-subconscious ed) I did feel like a lemon at first but after a quick plug swap I realised it wasnt warmth around the bowels (sp?-bowells) anyway what are apre bowls btw? so they all use the same mikunis eh? some chump pointed out that keihins wouldnt fit on a 600....hmmmm nah stilll to dear! Ill pm address if u like? remus soon hopefully?! and will you be back in norf lannan on sunday afternoon for drinking and tunes?
Alex.
ps glad I'm not the only one this has happened to, any one care to comment on ngk/champion/denso or all much of a muchness?

spacemonkey
10-11-2004, 07:55 PM
It was the plugs you get from Daytona and the like in Ducati boxes that failed. They are the smaller size-that is the standard plug socket supplied optimistically with the bike will fit. I have never had problems with NGK's I also had the ceramic shatter on the other Duc plug. They were cheap mind...

'apre' bowls are like spare bowls, but with a late night typo thrown in for good measure....

I've got yer address still somewhere so no worries. If I remember to pick them up I 'll post em off next week. I'm really hoping to get my bike back this Saturday. If so the Remii and my nice new comfort saddle will be on within the hour!

Not sure if I can make it back in time Sunday, as I usually stay Sunday night and go straight to work MOnday Morning. The joys of M3 commuting...it's actually the same time to travel 110miles from Boringmouth to Feltham as it is to crawl from Islington. I love London.... Grr.

Richard_S
10-11-2004, 08:02 PM
you can borrow my tomahawk for feltham. christ what a bleak place :(

A Yerbury
10-11-2004, 11:13 PM
thank ye koind sir. I realise taking the banjos off is a cheeky thing to ask so just bung em all in 2nd class.
cheers.