PDA

View Full Version : Foggy instruments

bod
09-11-2004, 01:10 AM
My clocks are all covered in water but it's on the inside :eek:
My bikes only 5 months old and never taken out in the damp(if at all possible this year) :)
Should I return it to the dealer, is this an common problem?
Don't fancy driling an air hole in the back as it may effect my warranty.
Are there modified clocks our should I just live with it(thinking it would be a useful excuse ,when stopped by the the plod as I can't realy see what speed I was doing)
:D

A Yerbury
09-11-2004, 01:26 AM
Is it condensation or proper heavy blobs? dont drill any holes! let it evaporate (a heat gun/hairdryer will quicken this) then run some clear silicone around the seals.

bod
09-11-2004, 01:38 AM
Just heavy condensation,I work at a Vauxhall garage and get many customers complaining of the same on there plasitic lens headlamps,it's not a problem the vauxhall boffins say :eek:
When I can't read my speedo it is...or should I just retire my bike for the winter and get stuck in some traffic in my car?

A Yerbury
09-11-2004, 01:49 AM
I dont really read mine, not in any macho way I just know what 30-60-90 feels like.
bow wow wow.

Byron Kauffman
09-11-2004, 02:15 AM
you dont need to drill any holes. The gauges are sealed well from the top but the bottom has openings for the wires etc. If you can pull the gauge cluster off the bike bring it in the house flip it so the glass is down and use a hair dryer to warm the unit. It will let the moisture get out the same openings it got in.
This is of course if it is out of warranty and you can not get your dealer to do it for you. You wont get the front open without major effort. The glass has a rubber seal that is crimped by the bezel under pressure. It is a good seal. The rear cosmetic cover is usually held on by a few small cap nuts. Once you have it off you can easily see all the holes for moisture. You could also try sticking it in your fridge. The fridge is cold but dry, it will dehumidify the gauges.
hope this helps.

Will
09-11-2004, 09:04 AM
you dont need to drill any holes. The gauges are sealed well from the top but the bottom has openings for the wires etc. If you can pull the gauge cluster off the bike bring it in the house flip it so the glass is down and use a hair dryer to warm the unit. It will let the moisture get out the same openings it got in.
This is of course if it is out of warranty and you can not get your dealer to do it for you. You wont get the front open without major effort. The glass has a rubber seal that is crimped by the bezel under pressure. It is a good seal. The rear cosmetic cover is usually held on by a few small cap nuts. Once you have it off you can easily see all the holes for moisture. You could also try sticking it in your fridge. The fridge is cold but dry, it will dehumidify the gauges.
hope this helps.

'They all do that Sir'

My 2002 620ie. did the same during it's first Winter (initially I couldn't read the speedo) - I happened to be going to the dealer for a service at the time, however as luck would have it by the time I arrived the condensation inside the instruments has cleared.

I know that several people have had their clocks changed under warranty when this has happened, but I suspect that this does not always cure the problem - basically the instruments panel is not that well sealed and a little moisture ingress will always occur. I didn't have my instruments replaced and the problem seems largely have gone away - I do occasionally get a little condensation on the inside of the 'glasses' but nothing to worry about as it normally clears after a while.

Will

slob
09-11-2004, 09:27 AM
'They all do that Sir'...
...My 2002 620ie. did the same...I know that several people have had their clocks changed under warranty when this has happened, but I suspect that this does not always cure the problem...

I was told, by my dealer, it was 'Italian character', I had my clocks changed after my speedo broke (mercifully just before the warranty ran out) and they still steam up.
I'm not hugely impressed but as AY says I hardly use 'em anyway. On the whole I love the bike and just put up with it.

bod
09-11-2004, 07:45 PM
Sounds like I will have to live with it then.....
Cherrs for the advice guys :)

Scotty
09-11-2004, 10:31 PM
umm whatever you do dont put some different colour bulbs in (which burn at a higher temperature and hence melt some of the plastics inside and give a gooey sorta melted plastisizer n mank unlike condensation that realy wont shift with a hair dryer , i was tempted to try n wash it out with methanol but im not so sure its a good idea (errm not that i would have done something so stupid ;) )

Will
10-11-2004, 01:15 PM

Decided to to use the bike to travel to work this morning because it was dry, if a little cold. Guess what? within 1 mile of leaving home the clocks had misted - bother! - first time it has happened for 12 months or more.

Will

stef
10-11-2004, 01:20 PM
obviously not a major concern in the Ducati R&D departement.

Richard_S
10-11-2004, 02:03 PM
not a huge amount of fog in bologna

sidtheparrot
16-11-2004, 12:56 PM
Anyone tried putting one of those little packets of silica gel in the clock pods behind the dials? The type of thing you get to avoid moisture wrecking electrical gadgets.
This is just an idea, so don’t blame me if it doesn’t work :)

Chris :burnout:

Will
16-11-2004, 01:12 PM
Anyone tried putting one of those little packets of silica gel in the clock pods behind the dials? The type of thing you get to avoid moisture wrecking electrical gadgets.
This is just an idea, so don’t blame me if it doesn’t work :)

Chris :burnout:

Sounds like a good idea - how easy is it to get into the instrument console? - is it just a case of undoing a few screws?

Will

marchesini
16-11-2004, 04:23 PM

I don't get it. All of these replies but the bike is still under warranty - yes, it happens but it shouldn't do so get Ducati to sort it. Get on the phone to the dealer or if you are so inclined, talk to Ducati UK first and obviously they will say no, that is not normal - it is dangerous that you cannot see how fast you are going. I guess if the police stopped you for speeding and your answer was the clocks were misted up, I would guess that the vehicle would then not be deemed as roadworthy.

Make a point that it is intermittent but it is dangerous and get the clocks changed. I have had 4 monsters and it never happened on any of them. I know its annoying rather than anything else but it's not right so take it back and get it sorted.

Best regards

simon