PDA

View Full Version : bars (again)

DesmoDog
08-11-2004, 03:57 PM
OK, so I'm going to lower the yoke to allow me to fit my clip ons. Anyone got any pics of their clip ons once in place? What do you do with the bits that hold the original bars in place? If only I had instructions...

A Yerbury
08-11-2004, 04:42 PM
you throw those bits away or give them to a needy type. once you pull the forks up its pretty obvious where they go.....I ve just had another 10mm pulled above the clip on and all feels better. you could go really extreme and fit the clip under the yoke?!

A Yerbury
08-11-2004, 04:57 PM
ok so its slightly out of frame but you get the idea..make sure you give youself the correct angle so as not to hit the tank otherwise thumb and horn are between the proverbial hard place and rock.ouch.

gary tompkins
08-11-2004, 07:03 PM
Desmodog,

You don't mention what make your bars are, but here's 2 views of the redline bars fitted to mine. Other makes like Rizoma or Road Racing fit in a similar way, and I'm sure other members will post photos. If yours are Redlines too then I can give you a detailed run down on fitting (and it's not a walk in the park) and save you some of the agro I encountered :rolleyes:

BTW I didn't need to drop my yokes, as there was already around 25mm of the leg above it, which was plenty to mount the bars to.

I fitted mine without the optional riser blocks at first, but found the bars to low. The risers lift them about 50mm above the top yoke, and the riding position is now spot on IMO :cool:

Scotty
08-11-2004, 07:08 PM
if ya need a hand im around about (though ive never fitted clipons before)

JR
08-11-2004, 09:01 PM
Gary,
Who supplied you with the riser blocks? I am finding the bars on my M1000 throw a lot of weight onto my wrists, so considering the option of lifting the bars higher.

JR

gary tompkins
08-11-2004, 09:13 PM
JR,

Stuart at Spareshack supplied both the bars and risers. However these risers are specifically made to suit the Redline clip-ons, so won't fit the standard monster bars if that's what your M1000 still has :confused:

DesmoDog
09-11-2004, 09:50 AM
Thanks everyone,

Alex - I remember you mentioning the under the yoke option once before - I think maybe a tad too extreme. I am going to have to drop the forks through the yoke though. I rekon they are at the highest possible setting at the moment. With the rizomas I feel like I'm riding a harley.

Gary - I think they're road racing, but looking at your pics makes me think about how to go about mounting the reserviors, and maybe replacing them with billet.

Scotty, appreciate the offer - I'll be in touch. Do you have some space to work in? My garage is being rebuilt.

DD

Scotty
09-11-2004, 01:43 PM
only a yard round the back out of sight of prying eyes
best pick a dry day ;)

S4R Dude
09-11-2004, 02:48 PM
Gary,

Nifty clock mount...did you do it yourself, or is it available somewhere?

gary tompkins
09-11-2004, 08:26 PM
Thanks everyone,

Gary - I think they're road racing, but looking at your pics makes me think about how to go about mounting the reserviors, and maybe replacing them with billet.

DD

DD,

Plenty on here using RR clipons, including PD and possibly Yerbs. Supposed to be a relative P.O.P. to fit so hopefully advice will be forthcoming? No billet reservoir mounts on mine just the standard 900 bracketry, but I did have to frig around with the hose fittings and lever/mirror mounts a lot until I got the set up spot on.

gary tompkins
09-11-2004, 08:32 PM
Gary,

Nifty clock mount...did you do it yourself, or is it available somewhere?

Bracket knocked up from scratch in 1.6mm alloy sheet, and clock's one of those sealed Lumiglow jobbies held with self adhesive velcro. The brackets just stuck to the yoke with clear silicon sealant (sounds naff but it works so who cares?) and hides the tapped holes left in the yoke by the missing bar clamps a treat :D

Bracket made slightly oversize to allow room to fit Nitrous on/off switch and turbo boost pressure gauge at a later date :eek: ;)

S4R Dude
09-11-2004, 08:47 PM
Methinks i will copy an excellent idea....cheers.

DesmoDog
13-12-2004, 12:24 PM
Gary, did you paint those forking fork tops or is it some sort of replacement head?

Mr Cake
22-12-2004, 10:54 AM
I put a set of clip-ons on my 750. The throttle wouldn't snap shut when the bars were turned left so I put the original bar back on.

Dave

gary tompkins
22-12-2004, 02:54 PM
Gary, did you paint those forking fork tops or is it some sort of replacement head?

The fork tops & adjuster are anodised because they are a set of late 916 USD Showa's ;)

I put a set of clip-ons on my 750. The throttle wouldn't snap shut when the bars were turned left so I put the original bar back on.

Sounds like a problem with cable routing maybe? Had a similar hassle with mine and discovered the bar end was fouling the rubber grip. Slid the trottle drum a fraction further up the bar and it was fine :D

DesmoDog
21-01-2005, 01:48 PM
OK handlebar related. Who has clipons and no rearsets? Are they an absolute must have with clip ons? Any piccies or tales of woe about sore backs from riding in a near foetal position?

A Yerbury
21-01-2005, 01:53 PM
clip ons and standard, pas problem.

gary tompkins
22-01-2005, 09:46 AM
No problem with mine + std. pegs either, especially since I fitted the riser blocks which lift the bars about 40mm. Try to get a set of bars which offer some adjustment, then you can set them up the way you want.