PDA

View Full Version : Water in my Oil?

scrumpster
06-11-2004, 09:41 PM
OK so the novice has checked her essentials this week, and has a nice white blob in the oil window? Is this due to water in the oil? Supposedly it was serviced before purchase, but thinking this is pants as when inspecting oil filter it's chipped!!! Looks a bit old!!! :confused: my bro-in-law says it may be where it has been out of action for a while and needs a good run? Any suggestions greatly appreciated, also before I start looking at umpteen threads, what oil do you lot go for???? make, viscosity etc etc :) I don't ask much do I :D

BoozyBOB
06-11-2004, 10:02 PM
dont worry too much...the 600s get the yougurt look in the oil window in the cold....a good run will cure it...
Shell Advanced is the usual...but others have tried and use others...i am sure they will let you know..

scrumpster
06-11-2004, 10:06 PM
Cheers and yogurt describes it perfectly!!!!

NBs
06-11-2004, 10:14 PM
hi scrumps
as bob says, don't be worrying too much about the white blobs in the oil... this time of year it's normally down to condensation. But just in case, keep a close eye on your coolant level, if it's dropping then it's probably leaking into the engine somewhere (from past experience!).
As for oil... 10w40 should be fine, shell advance is a popular choice.

n

scrumpster
06-11-2004, 10:29 PM
Blobs only appeared this week, when temp got noticeably lower, I froze on way to work Friday, and engine was cold when I checked, will heed your advice though NB!! cheers! :)

Pedro
06-11-2004, 10:36 PM
hi scrumps
as bob says, don't be worrying too much about the white blobs in the oil... this time of year it's normally down to condensation. But just in case, keep a close eye on your coolant level, if it's dropping then it's probably leaking into the engine somewhere (from past experience!).

n

Errr, Nik, Scrumps bike is aircooled.....

Scrumps - the mayo in te oil is just condensation from short runs, give it a good run out then open the oil filler cap for an hour or so, that should sort it.

As for which oil, I use Rock Oil Semi Synthetic which is a little cheaper than Shell Advanced and comes highly recommended. The only stockist I know is Moto Rapido in Winchester.

Ped

A Yerbury
06-11-2004, 10:39 PM
as the man says its 99.999% just water in the air. coolant level? on an m600? advice for the cold is hotter plugs and a splash of silkolene pro fst, there is also a carb warmer: a braided oil line running up from the front right of the sump to the carbs via a switch mounted in a hexagonal case clipped to the frame. or it may well be creme fraiche in there?

JMo
06-11-2004, 10:39 PM
Nik you loon - it's only you supersports (and S4) riders who have coolant y'know!

Scrumps - as people have suggested, give it a good run... then I find if you leave the oil filler cap off for a few hours/overnight, the cloudiness will be gone by morning...

xxx

ps. Putoline make a good fully-synthetic oil. x

scrumpster
06-11-2004, 10:41 PM
Errr, Nik, Scrumps bike is aircooled.....

Scrumps - the mayo in te oil is just condensation from short runs, give it a good run out then open the oil filler cap for an hour or so, that should sort it.

As for which oil, I use Rock Oil Semi Synthetic which is a little cheaper than Shell Advanced and comes highly recommended. The only stockist I know is Moto Rapido in Winchester.

Ped
Cheers Ped, I couldn't remember what make you had said, I will look at NEC for oil as well. Also aircooled, yes!!! god am I a numpty or what!!! I knew it wasn't water cooled :rolleyes:

JMo
06-11-2004, 10:42 PM
pps. I see Pedro can type faster than I can...

xxx

A Yerbury
06-11-2004, 10:44 PM
Just remember to put the cap back on....crikey NBs, 3 smackdowns in as many minutes?!-do pay attention 00916.
Alex Y...with the novelty rainbow pavement.

A Yerbury
06-11-2004, 10:45 PM
moi aussi cher jen.

scrumpster
06-11-2004, 10:46 PM
I'm sat here wetting myself, cheers you lot for the advice. A long run it will have to be, in my dreams alas, no time this week :(

A Yerbury
06-11-2004, 11:06 PM
wetting yourself now ?! its just condensation...run, remove plug and leave overnight.

scrumpster
06-11-2004, 11:07 PM
where are me tena ladies :cool:

NBs
06-11-2004, 11:08 PM
air cooled? that's something they did in the 50's wasn't it! :eek:

oh dear, brains's slipping out of gear again! I guess you've got nothing to worry about then scrumps... you can stop looking for that expansion bottle then!! :lol:

n :o

A Yerbury
06-11-2004, 11:16 PM
water cooled? thats something my cx 500 did wasn't it!? the 50 s rock btw!
AY
ps get a dp brain slipper clutch. much safer.

Albie
07-11-2004, 07:59 AM
hi scrumps

n

Muppet !! :rolleyes: :D and youve seen it to :D :eek: :burnout:

Pedro
07-11-2004, 09:36 AM
pps. I see Pedro can type faster than I can...

xxx

That cos I got a red keyboard - red ones are faster don't you know!!

:D

gary tompkins
07-11-2004, 11:58 AM
where are me tena ladies :cool:

If you pop up to the Soho area in London, you might find a few "tenner" ladies, but I'm pretty sure the going rate has to be at least £50 these days?

Errr... so a mate tell me ... coff... coff... I'll get me coat :o ;)

scrumpster
07-11-2004, 07:50 PM
If you pop up to the Soho area in London, you might find a few "tenner" ladies, but I'm pretty sure the going rate has to be at least £50 these days?

Errr... so a mate tell me ... coff... coff... I'll get me coat :o ;)

You can get your coat, but I am staying put, women aint my thing!!!! :lol:

spacemonkey
08-11-2004, 08:41 PM
But if you do change your mind they are a lot cheaper around King's Cross arches behind the station. Bit rougher mind...