PDA

View Full Version : Flat as a fart

netstar
05-11-2004, 05:16 PM
Hello peeps sorry not to of been joining in of late have been off on my travels.
Have had to bump the bike recently and am not sure what is draining the battery so badly. It runs fine once I bump it and get it running, It just seems to be dumping charge when I leave it stood. Any thoughts on how I could find out what the problem is? Have had it on the automater so I think the battery is okay, hope its not the alarm! Ta so much Jx :bunny:

Paranoid Dave
05-11-2004, 05:29 PM
Buggered if i know?

To help work it out, when you try and start it and it don't want to go, does is chug and chug but just not spark into life or is it just nothing at all.
Nothing at all would suggest an electrical problem i'm guessing, if it chugs then its mechanical.

just trying to narrow it down.

spacemonkey
05-11-2004, 06:40 PM
The batteries on these beasts are iffy to begin with, and an alarm will drag it down to death in a coupla weeks! This unfortunately is normal...

A Yerbury
05-11-2004, 09:45 PM
I just bought a yuasa from m and p as mine was being "iffy" also standing in cold a bit with the alarm on, a voltmeter would tell you what the fully charged reading is 20 quid or a friendly mechanic chappie could find out quick enough.

Richard_S
05-11-2004, 10:50 PM
not enough friendly chaps in the world for all of us and i for one have been in the feckin queue since 1984.

btw 'd take ur boy to the cleaners. he may have the jive talk but ive got the sky on my side :cool:

netstar
06-11-2004, 08:29 AM
Thanks mateys.... sounds like it could be the electrics,that's abit of a bummer. Oh well riding weather is just about over I suppose, will let you know how I go on. Many thanks. Jx

A Yerbury
06-11-2004, 10:13 AM
TRY BUSINESS AS USUAL BUT WITH THE ALARM disabled (is there a fuse you can take out on ie imobilisers? at least that way you can ascertain what it wont be..electrics...process of elimination etc

Pedro
06-11-2004, 10:55 AM
The alarm will drag the battery down in about two weeks if the battery is in good nick and less if it's not.

Simple solution is to use an Optimate - it'll condition the battery and keep it topped up.

Ped

netstar
08-11-2004, 10:57 AM
Optimate says battery is okay... will try Yerburys elimination plan. Cheers Jx... glad am not riding out today on the wet leafy roads!