PDA

View Full Version : New Brakes on Monsters

Albie
04-11-2004, 09:18 PM
A friend of mine has been to the NEC today and seen the new Monnies and Paul Smart retro bikes. They are now using two piston sliding brakes appparently. Why. Whats wrong with the ones we have or are they better or just plain cheaper. Can anyone tell us. Does any one know why old fashioned brakes coming back? :confused:

A Yerbury
04-11-2004, 09:45 PM
what are sliding brakes?

Scotty
04-11-2004, 09:46 PM
cheaper in my book

Scotty
04-11-2004, 09:47 PM
cheap **** car breaks are the 'slideing' type one piston operates bothsides awe hf;hsd
i cant describe it but its simple to look at em

Pedro
04-11-2004, 10:00 PM
Sliding calipers have piston(s) in one half only and a sliding link to the other side so when the piston is forced out it pulls the sliding half as well.

Typically they lack power / feel and are most definitely cheaper. Don't look as nice either. There's good reason you'll find sliding calipers on budget / commuter bikes and four / six piston calipers on more expensive / classier bikes!

Ped

A Yerbury
04-11-2004, 10:09 PM
cheers, ah yessss "the motorcycle guide book" is all coming back now, and brembo still make em? not worth the adverse "cheap" assosciation I would have thought? brem twins arent that expensive to make.

Richard_S
04-11-2004, 10:14 PM
i know a man who knocks em up in the basement. good price stuff, even has a somewhat shady side line involving anchor shaped keyrings.

Will
05-11-2004, 12:28 PM
A friend of mine has been to the NEC today and seen the new Monnies and Paul Smart retro bikes. They are now using two piston sliding brakes appparently. Why. Whats wrong with the ones we have or are they better or just plain cheaper. Can anyone tell us. Does any one know why old fashioned brakes coming back? :confused:

Are they using these on the front brakes or just the rear?
The new BMW R1200GS 'wonderbike' also uses a sliding rear caliper (they are BMW badged Brembos). Two reasons I guess:-

1. Lower cost.
2. It is not necessary to have a really powerful rear brake.

Will

Chris
05-11-2004, 01:26 PM
I noticed that too on Terry's pictures, black Brembo 2 pot floating calipers on the front of the S2R. This is definately a cost saving measure, and loses one of the things that was great about the monsters, largely superbike derived, not budget alternatives! I'm sure the brakes will still be up to the job of stopping the bike, but definately not as cool as the pukka 4 pot jobbies.

Chris
05-11-2004, 01:27 PM
Oh, forgot to mention, I have a pair of Brembo calipers for sale. Any offers, new S2R owners!

A Yerbury
05-11-2004, 02:27 PM
they will no doubt put the old ones in the dp catalogue the money grabbing swines....

spacemonkey
05-11-2004, 02:51 PM
If you compare an original old Monster with the new efforts, the newer breed look decidedly low rent. What happened to all the gold bits etc? Or is it just me that as the years go by, the prices go up byt some specs drop?

A Yerbury
05-11-2004, 04:06 PM
which other gold bits?

spacemonkey
05-11-2004, 04:27 PM
Well, gold forks for example and frame. The silver lot look decidedly cheaper if you ask me. That's why I'd never get a newer one.

A Yerbury
05-11-2004, 04:48 PM
o course! well I'm a golden oldie too. the gold mazocchs are nicer looking and part of the origional iconic monster look. perhaps one reason why the newer ones and darks look a tad bland head on?
mr miffy.

Richard_S
05-11-2004, 10:33 PM
i have no problem attracting attention straight on. They love all that eyeballs at dawn shiiit :twisted:

A Yerbury
06-11-2004, 10:06 AM
admit it toy boy you d rather the bling factor.

sidrat
08-11-2004, 06:52 AM
Sliding brakes were used initially by the Japenese factories for low cost, as the patent for opposed piston brakes is owned by Lockheed and they have to pay them royalties for every caliper they made. So they "invented" sliding brakes.....

Pedro
08-11-2004, 09:54 PM
Saw the Ducati stand today and afore mentioned brakes - look sh*te in comparison to Goldline Brembos.....

Oh, and the yellow Monster is a bit eye watering - very bright

Ped