on taking the clutch cover off a m900 unit

found the springs tops are just touching the inside of the cover
is this normal? if ok.. great!
if not why not??
thanks if you can help
rich

Scotty
31-10-2004, 06:32 PM
no idea i replaced the standard steel (i presume) with some anodised aluminum ones which are now starting to wear the finnish off very un-nerving

Pedro
31-10-2004, 09:31 PM
Sounds like the bolts have unwound slightly so check they're done up properly!!

It may depend on the type of clutch cover you have. Earlier Monnies had cast aluminium covers while the laters ones are thinner steel. If it's the later type, does it have the rubber gasket / spacer fitted properly?

Either way, the springs shouldn't touch the cover!

Ped

rich
01-11-2004, 07:34 AM
Sounds like the bolts have unwound slightly so check they're done up properly!!

It may depend on the type of clutch cover you have. Earlier Monnies had cast aluminium covers while the laters ones are thinner steel. If it's the later type, does it have the rubber gasket / spacer fitted properly?

Either way, the springs shouldn't touch the cover!

Ped
Thanks for the reply pedro, i have checked the bolts and they were ok
must have been sorted by the owner prior to me.

it is an aluminium one
ta rich

Duke John
03-11-2004, 10:58 AM
This is usually caused by wear on the face of the clutch centre. Behind the large centre nut and cup is a "star" shaped steel shim. The clutch centre pushes against this when the clutch lever is pulled in, i.e. it acts as a thrust washer system. Because the clutch centre is soft ally it wears and as it does it gets closer to the clutch cover. Hence the spring cups can catch the cover. One way out of this is to fit an extra star washer but this is a bit of a bodge and I can't recommend it. The other way is to get a new clutch centre at around £55. The new ones come with a steel insert to help prevent the problem.
Hope this helps rather than depresses.
Ducati John.

rich
03-11-2004, 12:36 PM
This is usually caused by wear on the face of the clutch centre. Behind the large centre nut and cup is a "star" shaped steel shim. The clutch centre pushes against this when the clutch lever is pulled in, i.e. it acts as a thrust washer system. Because the clutch centre is soft ally it wears and as it does it gets closer to the clutch cover. Hence the spring cups can catch the cover. One way out of this is to fit an extra star washer but this is a bit of a bodge and I can't recommend it. The other way is to get a new clutch centre at around £55. The new ones come with a steel insert to help prevent the problem.
Hope this helps rather than depresses.
Ducati John.

Thanks for the reply john.
i will take a look this star shim during the rebuild
thanks to all that took the time to reply
rich

Duke John
03-11-2004, 05:38 PM
Thats OK, just gimme a call if you need any advice whilst you're doing the job.
Cheers
Ducati John.