PDA

View Full Version : Neutral light on-dimmed- sometimes

caro'n'rich
22-10-2004, 10:19 AM
Doing the work run (yeah - the only road in Bristol you CAN do the ton at 8.00 in the morning.... grin), me neutral light stayed on even when I wasn't in neutral - although dimmed. bah humbug.

Could it be that after lovingly washing and polishing beautiful monsterdark, (and drying it as best I could), water got into the electrics? The problem was (mostly) on Monday - wash was on Sunday.

Any tips, hints or other?
Cheers
carocalandra

A Yerbury
22-10-2004, 10:24 AM
could be, its a crappy little switch back right of the bike just below the saddle. may be a short circ but if its gone the switches are cheap and easy to attach (easy with a box spanner anyway)

Phoenix
22-10-2004, 04:47 PM
Mines on all the time - Has been for about a year. Suspect I need to investigate at some point :eek:

Paranoid Dave
22-10-2004, 05:34 PM
Mine's on most of the time too, dimmed usually but from time to time it does get brighter, usually when I'm at junctions or stopped for a long period of time. ;)

Duncan
22-10-2004, 06:18 PM
Probabaly just water in the connection on the back of the gearbox. Similar happens from time to time on the oil light too.

I am only in Downend and am local area rep so if you get stuck drop round and say hi and will fix it for you.

caro'n'rich
24-10-2004, 10:03 AM
Hi Duncan
Fantastic offer - thanks - currently the light is off (although being sunday morning I've just washed it again, so maybe tomorrow it'll be back again).
I live in Hartcliffe but work at UWE, Frenchay, so pass by Downend practically every day (except when cycling with pedals).
Do local monster owners meet up and do stuff?
Cheers
Caroline

Duncan
24-10-2004, 10:14 AM
Hi Caroline

We do all meet up at the Waggon in Stroud and also at the local DOC meets in Downend (that we hijack) but also I have been thinking of a few meets for a chat over coffee at Riders Bristol and if the weathers good enough, a ride about.

The next couple of weeks I have put my biking on hold whilst my Dad goes to hospital for his heart bypass but once he's on his feet again I shall arrange something.

If you want to have a chat I have PMd my mobile over.

Duncan

Zimbo
24-10-2004, 07:56 PM
Caroline, I had exactly the same problem on my SS. It started soon after washing, and was never right after. I replaced the neutral switch, and that cured it immediately. It wasn't water in the plugs or electrics, the switch was definately dead.
A replacement was aquired from Riders Bristol, I seem to remember it was around £27.
They are a bugger to fit without a suitable tool. The switch sits in a depression in the crankcase, so is impossible to do up using a flat spanner, however since the plug on the end of the flying lead out of the switch is of a larger diameter than the switch itself, a ring or box spanner was also out, unless you cut the plug off and soldered it back on after fitting - something I wasn't keen to do.
I sorted it by modifying a ring spanner by cutting a section out of the ring to pass the wire through, which makes it a dead easy job. I have the spanner still, and you're welcome to borrow it, or i can swap the switch over for you if you like, I'm reasonably local.
Same goes to you Lin, if you want to change yours!