PDA

View Full Version : Bar ends

Mark Walker
22-10-2004, 10:51 AM
To ask yet another stupid question, I was wondering how you get the little black bar end thingies out of the bars? The standard ones........I've tried unscrewing them on the old bars with a pair of pliers (they were damaged so didn't really matter if I made a mess - the bar ends, not the pliers), but they just kept turning......do they screw in or just plug in? Wanted to change them on the new bars and though it would be easier to do so before fitting them to the bike?

SAMMYE
22-10-2004, 11:25 AM
They plug in! you might damage them slightly when you pull them out but they are cheap enough to replace if you want to! Dealer might even give them to you for free!

A Yerbury
22-10-2004, 11:33 AM
You have to use a special tool mark, its called a "pulltheplugo" #zdm12345678. I'll pop by later to help with shoe lace tieing and the trickier letters of the alphabet!!

Mark Walker
22-10-2004, 11:47 AM
that'll be why i couldn't unscrew them then.....the buggers sold me a 'twisttheplugo' #zdm87654321...must have seen me coming

I use velcro on my shoes.....

A Yerbury
22-10-2004, 11:56 AM
I use velcro on my shoes.....

cheat. keep the "twisttheplugo#zdm87654321" as you can reverse the polarity and use it to put the plugs back in. But remember!! it's steam powered so keep it away from electrical sources, infants, expectant mothers, the infirm and ALWAYS use the safety net provided.

good luck and god speed you dark mechanic.

Mark Walker
22-10-2004, 12:09 PM
If all else fails I shall use the Force..........Brute Force....

Seriously do bar end weights make much difference or are they just there to look pretty and snap off when you drop the bike.....have read the odd thing about balance and vibration, but can't imagine they make a massive difference? But then again I do ask stupid questions.....

A Yerbury
22-10-2004, 12:20 PM
you do indeed but we love ya all the more for it. now, do you mean bar end weights or bar end plugs? have a seat dear as it's going to get technical! I've got clip on bars with plugs just for tidiness. The trouble with weights is that they invariably lengthen the bars, I do a lot of filtering when I ride and need all the clearance I can get. If you had bad "vibes" man then I'd try weights but you wont on a m600 (unless the head bearings mullered) they are really just for protection and show.

Mark Walker
22-10-2004, 12:27 PM
can you fix them with velcro?

Not felt any vibration.....at least not through the bars.....probably just leave them as standard for now.....just wondered as it's the only modification I can afford at the moment :(

A Yerbury
22-10-2004, 03:01 PM
hacksaw blades are cheap............

Mark Walker
22-10-2004, 03:25 PM
but where on the bike would you put them?

A Yerbury
22-10-2004, 03:29 PM
dont be coy! you put them through the tail.

Mark Walker
22-10-2004, 03:31 PM
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Phoenix
22-10-2004, 05:49 PM
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss :D

Mark Walker
23-10-2004, 07:17 PM
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooope..... :eek: :D

DesmoDog
23-10-2004, 07:23 PM
I weight at the end of the bar all the time. It's like they don't see me!

Mark Walker
23-10-2004, 07:28 PM
that's why I do all my drinking at home.....nobody can see me.....

gary tompkins
23-10-2004, 11:53 PM
I find the bar end a usefull thing to hang onto when the pub starts spinning :lol:

A Yerbury
24-10-2004, 12:39 AM
Bar ends but select establisments will have a lock in.