PDA

View Full Version : Making Cams Shine

SAMMYE
21-10-2004, 12:36 PM
right I got me Scorpion Cans from Albie, Just wondered what was best to get them nice and shiny? He thinks Solvol Autosol!? anyone have any views on this?

A Yerbury
21-10-2004, 12:50 PM
much of a muchness, a polishing mop for your drill turns an otherwise elbow grease scenario into power tool fun n games. just watch out for flying cloth.

PaulS
21-10-2004, 12:50 PM
Don't want to appear pedantic but I think you mean "cans". Cams are generally internal engine parts that operate the valves. What are your cans made of?

A Yerbury
21-10-2004, 12:53 PM
good to see I'm not the only pedant correcting the lads typos.....

SAMMYE
21-10-2004, 02:21 PM
Don't want to appear pedantic but I think you mean "cans". Cams are generally internal engine parts that operate the valves. What are your cans made of?

Sorry your right, I do mean Cans
hmmm not sure what they are made of!? they are silver if that helps at all?? I would have thought aluminium but am most likely wrong!

I will get my coat now!........... (School Dunce leaves dragging his heels)

PaulS
21-10-2004, 03:54 PM
Sorry your right, I do mean Cans
hmmm not sure what they are made of!? they are silver if that helps at all?? I would have thought aluminium but am most likely wrong!

I will get my coat now!........... (School Dunce leaves dragging his heels)

Take your coat off! - we all had to learn sometime and this forum is as good a place as any. Generally speaking cans are made of aluminium, stainless steel, carbon fibre and sometimes titanium. It might make a difference to the sort of finish you get and the best method to use for polishing. They're most likely to be stainless steel if I had to guess.

SAMMYE
21-10-2004, 04:14 PM
Cheers Paul I will speak to Albie and find out :D

Mand
21-10-2004, 07:35 PM
Keeping your cans shiny is easy peasy. It is keeping those exhaust pipes shiny that is a bit tricky. Autosol and plenty of elbow grease, do it four or five times and you will get a good result. It is easy to keep on top of them once you have got that shine.

Take it from me, I use my bike almost every day rain/shine and they still look the biz. :)

A Yerbury
21-10-2004, 08:28 PM
Or pj them matt black?
Alex Y.

Zimbo
21-10-2004, 10:07 PM
I find t-cut works a treat on my alloy remus cans, takes five minutes and they're mirror shiny!

Albie
21-10-2004, 11:24 PM
They are top grade Alloooominiummmmmmmmmm and stainless ends and front section. :D :D

NattyBoy
22-10-2004, 09:55 AM
Id recommend Belgom Alu..more effective than autosol, and unlike autosol, leaves a protective coating..

Cheers
Nat

DesmoDog
22-10-2004, 10:01 AM
Hmm T-cut you say? I'll give that a shot this weekend then my bike can look nice, not working, but nice.