PDA

View Full Version : Monster 1000 lurching

velofelo
18-10-2004, 08:53 PM
Please can anyone offer advice on a problem that is affecting my Monster 1000? The bike has only done 500 miles, but since new it has suffered from very poor slowish (2500-3300RPM) running. When the bike is ridden on a constant light throttle eg restricted speed limits, a clicking noise can be heard from beneath the fuel tank. The bike then lurches violently for a moment, recovers until the clicking noise is heard again and then the cycle repeats. It seems to do it worse when the engine is hot. The clicking noise sounds to me like something electrical making or breaking beneath the tank. My local dealer says there is nothing wrong with it, but I had an S4 prior to this bike and never had any trouble of this nature. I fitted a PowerCommander in desparation but this has not helped at all, apart from this the bike is standard.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Regards

Velofelo

A Yerbury
18-10-2004, 09:00 PM
why not go for a dyno run and diagnostic? is fitting a P C wise given the small mileage? I dont know what the run in period is for 1000 s.

Pedro
18-10-2004, 10:20 PM
If you ca hear a clicking prior to the lurch, it would seem to suggest the two are connected. Not sure of the setup on the injected bikes but is the fuel pump playing up? If it drops pressure suddenly then it's likely to cause a miss-fire as the injectors need a set pressure. I would take the PC off and get it back to the dealer as it's a new bike. Perhaps take their mechanic out on the back and show him the problem.

HTH
Ped

Scotty
18-10-2004, 10:21 PM
errrrm pinched fuel pipe ?

Macca
18-10-2004, 11:14 PM
The exact same thing happens with my M800

I took it back to the dealer, they test rode it, agreed that there was a problem and redid the fuel mapping.

The bike ran much better after the mapping and when I fitted the Termi's it was next to perfect.

That was until I took the bike back to have the front brake switch replaced - the dealer spotted the Termi's and re-mapped the fuel for me for free (and without me asking as it happens). The result is that the bike now pops again every so often :(

I've opened the air box up and ordered a PCIII as I'm fairly sure the problem is linked to the fuel mapping - If not it's back to the dealer again......

Macca

velofelo
19-10-2004, 05:14 PM
Thanks guys, I don't think the fuel pipes are pinched. Interesting to read about Macca's M800 must be a similar set up to the 1000. May be time to remove PC and revisit the dealer. I don't have much faith though !

Regards

PaulS
19-10-2004, 05:43 PM
May be time to remove PC and revisit the dealer. I don't have much faith though !

If the dealer in question is 3X (possibly you nearest dealer?, or is it Bridge in Andover?), I wouldn't have much faith either! If it is 3X, try Snells in Alton instead as they seem to have a better reputation. You don't have to have warranty work done where you originally bought it.

velofelo
19-10-2004, 07:21 PM
Paul, I have not heard of Snells at Alton before, will look them up on the net. You have obviously been to Bridge as well !!

Regards