PDA

View Full Version : Questions and answers please

Hunny Monsta
17-10-2004, 08:22 PM
Had quite a day today and from it I have a few questions...

1. As I was getting the bike out of the shed, I stepped out of my boot, lucky for me I did not drop the bike :eek: The seam had ripped from top to bottom, Anyone ever had this happen to them?
2. Went to put the key in the ignition and it would not go in and finally after a little coaxing and WD40 it finally gave way, though it is still stiff ;)
3. I tried turning the bike over (it was rather heavy :rolleyes: ) though it would not start, after a few goes and a big smile, it came to life. Not sure if it is the battery or starter motor. Anyone else had this problem recently? :(
4. On route and enjoying the ride my bike backs fire and I thought I’d been shot. After pulling over and checking for blood and holes, I realised it was the pipes. Have checked seals for leaks, though it may be down to set up. :confused:
5. My visor keeps smearing up; I have used the spray you can buy, though this does not seem to help. Had the visor up a notch, though it gets a little chilly, any old remedy’s anyone uses? :twisted:

Any advice on the above would be gratefully appreciated :cool:

BoozyBOB
17-10-2004, 08:28 PM
2...i get this if i have been out in the rain and leave bike a couple of days...it is dampness in key barrel..i did the WD40 bit...but is easier if you WD40 when you put bike to bed..
3...turning bike over...your right they are heavy..try an extra shreaded wheat..works for me..
good luck

NBs
17-10-2004, 08:29 PM
1. nope.
2. wiggle it, just a little bit.
3. happens to me blade when it's been left in the cold.
4. dunno. i couldn't find any leaks either (other than the one we fixed).
5. polish inside of visor with a teeny tiny bit of washing-up liquid.
6. like your new avatar!

Albie
17-10-2004, 08:34 PM
1/ No i haven't. By some decent ones or try moulded wellies :D
2/Deffo not starter will be flat batt
3/Backfiring get it serviced properly tite arse
4/Get an open faced lid with enduro goggles. May freeze yer nose off but keep you alert. Snap the icicles off when you get home and put in your sprite.

Can you smell cat pooh :D :D :rolleyes:

Hunny Monsta
17-10-2004, 08:41 PM
1. nope. Lucky you, you don't want to know what I stepped in :(
2. wiggle it, just a little bit. Wiggle what :eek:
3. happens to me blade when it's been left in the cold. Better not answer that one... :twisted: 4. dunno. i couldn't find any leaks either (other than the one we fixed). Thanks, but it was rather loud :o
5. polish inside of visor with a teeny tiny bit of washing-up liquid. Thanks I will try that :) 6. like your new avatar! :cool:

Thanks Nick, I will give it ago :D

Hunny Monsta
17-10-2004, 08:44 PM
1/ No i haven't. By some decent ones or try moulded wellies :D
2/Deffo not starter will be flat batt
3/Backfiring get it serviced properly tite arse
4/Get an open faced lid with enduro goggles. May freeze yer nose off but keep you alert. Snap the icicles off when you get home and put in your sprite.

Can you smell cat pooh :D :D :rolleyes:

1. They are decent ;)
2. Its square not flat :rolleyes:
3. It was :eek:
4.Better with Vodka :lol:
5.Don't tell everyone :p

Albie
17-10-2004, 08:48 PM
:D :D :D sorry about the pooh but are you sure you cant still smell it. You may have dropped a cocktail stick :eek:

Hunny Monsta
17-10-2004, 08:56 PM
2...i get this if i have been out in the rain and leave bike a couple of days...it is dampness in key barrel..i did the WD40 bit...but is easier if you WD40 when you put bike to bed..
3...turning bike over...your right they are heavy..try an extra shreaded wheat..works for me..
good luck

Thanks Bob, it did get damp, just gave it a hug and spray before putting on the blanket. ;)
Tried weet-a-bix, thats where I went wrong ;)

Albie
17-10-2004, 09:27 PM
Hunny monstas eat Sugar Puffs :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :confused: ;) :D :eek:

Pedro
17-10-2004, 09:43 PM
Had quite a day today and from it I have a few questions...

1. As I was getting the bike out of the shed, I stepped out of my boot, lucky for me I did not drop the bike :eek: The seam had ripped from top to bottom, Anyone ever had this happen to them?
2. Went to put the key in the ignition and it would not go in and finally after a little coaxing and WD40 it finally gave way, though it is still stiff ;)
3. I tried turning the bike over (it was rather heavy :rolleyes: ) though it would not start, after a few goes and a big smile, it came to life. Not sure if it is the battery or starter motor. Anyone else had this problem recently? :(
4. On route and enjoying the ride my bike backs fire and I thought I’d been shot. After pulling over and checking for blood and holes, I realised it was the pipes. Have checked seals for leaks, though it may be down to set up. :confused:
5. My visor keeps smearing up; I have used the spray you can buy, though this does not seem to help. Had the visor up a notch, though it gets a little chilly, any old remedy’s anyone uses? :twisted:

Any advice on the above would be gratefully appreciated :cool:

Hi HM

just a couple of thoughts...

1. What make and how aold are your boots - if the seam has ripped they may have been faulty or have suffered from being damp and the stitching may have rotted.

2. I use a spray called GT85 (from Halfords) for locks as it has a better lubricant than WD40, it has Teflon in it and lasts well in locks. I've been using it for years.

3. Get an Optimate or similar for the battery. If I leave my bike for a couple of weeks or more, the motor is difficult to start. Optimate stops all that.

4. Backfires are usually caused by air leaks in the exhaust but you may need some new plugs - mine does this a little if the plugs are knackered / dirty.

5. The washing up liquid thing works well and I've also found that washing the visor with gentle shampoo seems to help too.

Ped

Hunny Monsta
17-10-2004, 09:57 PM
Hi HM

just a couple of thoughts...

1. What make and how aold are your boots - if the seam has ripped they may have been faulty or have suffered from being damp and the stitching may have rotted.

2. I use a spray called GT85 (from Halfords) for locks as it has a better lubricant than WD40, it has Teflon in it and lasts well in locks. I've been using it for years.

3. Get an Optimate or similar for the battery. If I leave my bike for a couple of weeks or more, the motor is difficult to start. Optimate stops all that.

4. Backfires are usually caused by air leaks in the exhaust but you may need some new plugs - mine does this a little if the plugs are knackered / dirty.

5. The washing up liquid thing works well and I've also found that washing the visor with gentle shampoo seems to help too.

Ped

Thanks Pedro, :D
I will give it all a try, though the boots are only a few months old. :(
I also have a sealed battery, how would I use the Optimate :o
Good advice thank you.

HM

NBs
17-10-2004, 10:02 PM
Take the boots back!
Surely your battery's got terminals hasn't it? Optimate has clips for temporary connection, and also a flying lead that stays connected to the battery terminals to just plug in when you park up. Come and see how my blade's wired up if you like.

Pedro
17-10-2004, 10:03 PM
Optimate works on any battery I think but have a read of the instructions. I'm sure they're suitable for sealed as well as the more normal type.

Ped

DesmoDom
17-10-2004, 10:38 PM
Not sure about the others, but the visor thing, I've been using fog city visor inserts for the past 11 years and never had any problems with misting up and once they're in, very easy to look after.

Baz

DesmoDog
18-10-2004, 11:16 AM
Optimate is great (think I'll copyright that), go for the flying lead option then you can just park her up and plug her in. Presto, always charged battery! Very useful for anyone with an alarm system slowly draining the battery.

Is your visor smearing up as a result of the backfire? Oh no that would be trousers wouldn't it!

PaulS
18-10-2004, 11:20 AM
I've been using an Optimate for a couple of years on the sealed battery of my S4 without any problems (so far).