PDA

View Full Version : Valves !

Kev Bunney
14-10-2004, 09:30 AM
Gonna have a crack at doing the valve clearences / shimms, who`s done em ? any special tools needed ? are the shimms easy to get / cheap ? any tips gratefully received !

Spike
14-10-2004, 10:26 AM
Kev my brother-inlaw knows a good way of checking the shimms so drop Loran a pm

Duncan
14-10-2004, 10:26 AM
Gonna have a crack at doing the valve clearences / shimms, who`s done em ? any special tools needed ? are the shimms easy to get / cheap ? any tips gratefully received !

Kev
They are easy to do and theres a web site all about it that may help you.
http://www.ducatitech.com/

In 43,000 miles I have only had to do one shim and you will find they drift through tolerance. From what I remember the closer shim got a little tight and it was a simple case of removing it and linishing a few thou off on an oilstone. If you have to check them, make sure you are on the compression stroke otherwise the openers will be tight on you, also to get the shims out, you need to slide the rocker to one side and you may have to turn the engine over a bit to do this which I do with the bike in gear on the paddock stand and just turn the wheel.
Allow yourself plenty of time and work methodically, have a pen and paper handy to note the gaps you get because if you do need to buy shims then you will need to measure what you have and subtract or add accordingly. A 0-1" (0-25mm) micrometer is an essential tool in determining shim sizes, if you dont have one then I can arrange you a loan of one.

Kev Bunney
14-10-2004, 04:21 PM
Thanks guys !

Pedro
14-10-2004, 04:39 PM
Kev

I got some notes at home from when I did mine - pm me your email address and I'll send em over

Ped

Duke John
19-10-2004, 08:02 PM
Kev, you should be able to do the shims yourself, I'd consider arming yourself with a copy of the suitable haynes manual. Get one of those small telescopic magnets too to assist retrieving the "C" clips.
I have a full stock of shims and will exchange for yours @£3 per opener and £5 per closer if that is of any use. I can supply you new gaskets etc etc too if that helps.
Please feel free to ring me whilst doing the job too if you are not completley happy
Regards and happy shimming.
Ducati John.