PDA

View Full Version : renthal bars

celt
12-10-2004, 12:10 AM
i bought some renthal bars and i want some advice on fitting.

has anyone done this mod and were there any problems? (are the brake hose long enough) (what 2 and what not 2 take off) oooooo missus

and whats the best way to get the grip off the left side?

P.S.
its going in for its free re-spray (see flakey paint thread) on 13th so if this jobs a right pain i may pay to have them fitted then as they will have bike for at least a week.

A Yerbury
12-10-2004, 12:25 AM
depends on length as renthal do different sizes, it may be simple, it may be a fiddle. JMO had to get some braided lines as she went for wide bars (If I recall) Just take it all off missus and put it all back on again. easy!

celt
12-10-2004, 06:29 AM
easy for some alex but im mechanicly :lol: inept.

the renthals are Road Bike (ultra low) 758 - 01 - GR so the height might not be as much of a problem as jmo's.

any tips getting that grip off (and back on)?

kaysee
12-10-2004, 08:00 AM
any tips getting that grip off (and back on)?

Pull (& Push) :D

SAMMYE
12-10-2004, 09:20 AM
Get a screwdriver lift up the grip and put warm water in the space you have created should come off a treat try it its like magic!! alacazaz

Fosse Foxfight
12-10-2004, 10:11 AM
i bought some renthal bars and i want some advice on fitting.

has anyone done this mod and were there any problems? (are the brake hose long enough) (what 2 and what not 2 take off) oooooo missus

and whats the best way to get the grip off the left side?

P.S.
its going in for its free re-spray (see flakey paint thread) on 13th so if this jobs a right pain i may pay to have them fitted then as they will have bike for at least a week.

To be fair Celt, I'd say get a new pair of grips, once you take a grip off the clutch side you dont get em quite the same again. As others have said, if the Mentals are of a similar width and rise as the originals you will not need to change any lines or cables, but if they aint you will. S'easy really.

ta ra me ducks

A Yerbury
12-10-2004, 12:02 PM
speaking as an inept mechanic I can vouche for the simplicity, getting the throttle housing together can be a bit fiddley though.

Scotty
13-10-2004, 08:11 PM
il give ya a hand if ya want, il be back sunday night from barcelona and have all next week off wi nowt t do

celt
13-10-2004, 08:51 PM
thats bloody good of you scotty :eek: .
i will probably take you up on that. :D :D

just let me know the best day for you and i will try and get a bit time off work to meet up and get job done

again cheers

Scotty
17-10-2004, 05:22 PM
well i made it back from the land of the phyco scooter rider so il dig out the impact driver and the oxyacetalene ;)

stef
17-10-2004, 07:32 PM
just out of curiousity, what are the advantages of the renthal compared to the stock bars ? clueless is my middlename.

Scotty
17-10-2004, 07:35 PM
well they have renthal written on em what more do ya want ~:?
errm colour cordination/contrast and alter ride possition slightly depending on rake bend and rise and lots of other words im not sure on the meaning

i thought it was a great improvment over stock me being 6' ish

A Yerbury
17-10-2004, 07:56 PM
If you squint and look down its like being on a very fast BMX.

JMo
17-10-2004, 08:29 PM
If you squint and look down its like being on a very fast BMX.

Tis true.

(Just don't try doing any jumps though x)

xxx

(PS. I did once, through a hedge - didn't work...)

Duncan
17-10-2004, 08:52 PM
I rode an M1000 today with the steel bars on and the bend in these is different from the old M900 alloy bars. They definitely put more strain on your wrists as they rake back and put your wrists in an unatural position. The old M900 bars are dead comfy in comparison even though to look at they are almost identical.
The problem I have when I see a bike with Renthals is that it screams 'CRASHED' at me. They are the first thing you fit after a crash and I wonder how many people would walk away when you're trying to sell a bike with these on.

celt
17-10-2004, 11:07 PM
im keeping the originals. but boy are they ugly.
i will keep all my bits and bobs so that when the time comes to trade in i can supply bike in original form and if they want the extras then they can buy which ones they want.

perrrrrrrrfect

A Yerbury
17-10-2004, 11:20 PM
well I hope no piglets were harmed during the hedge experiment.

DesmoDog
18-10-2004, 12:20 PM
It's true about the Renthals usually = crash, that said, they seems to make JMo go!!! Celt, you should have given me a shout, I'm about to take my Renthals off and replace with clip ons. And Scotty, if you fancy making it a handlebar party, I'll pop up as well and we can have a handlebar fitting masterclass from the guy withthe S4!!

DD

A Yerbury
18-10-2004, 01:19 PM
do clips on = crash or just renthals?

Scotty
18-10-2004, 01:54 PM
umm handelbar party eh well today could be the day in sunny wallsend of all places waiting on celts's boss at the moment i would just like to point out the absence of gaurentee or respocability on my part , i mannaged it once , but masterclass it aint ;)

DesmoDog
18-10-2004, 04:54 PM
do clips on = crash or just renthals?

I'm working on that Yerbs! Looking at my baby, everything points to a drop and slide anyway! Even down to the little red cover ;)

DesmoDog
18-10-2004, 04:55 PM
umm handelbar party eh well today could be the day in sunny wallsend of all places waiting on celts's boss at the moment i would just like to point out the absence of gaurentee or respocability on my part , i mannaged it once , but masterclass it aint ;)

Monday nights are out fro me man, bloody baby sitting would you believe. Groan. :rolleyes: OK, you teach Celt, then he can show me, pnar pnar. :D

A Yerbury
18-10-2004, 06:27 PM
I d forgotten about that!

Fosse Foxfight
12-06-2005, 09:48 PM
I'm about to take my Renthals off and replace with clip ons.

DD
DD, you taken these off yet?....you still got em?....which ones are they?...colour?.....

cheers

nick40
26-06-2005, 05:28 PM
Anybody know how I can get risers that are an extra inch long?

Thanks Folks