PDA

View Full Version : Bolts

Mark Walker
11-10-2004, 09:44 AM
Firstly, why does my underseat toolkit not have any alan keys?

Secondly, what is the best way to loosen stiff bolts......tried a good helping of WD40 and then an alan key and a hammer, but couldn't budge the buggers...eventually ruined the alan keys so gave up. Obviously I shall buy some better aln keys than the ones I had previosuly from poundland, but are there any other tips for getting the buggers out?

boris
11-10-2004, 09:57 AM
Castrol Penetrating Fluid! (Any good car/bike/bicycle shop) If poss, tape a wad of cotton wool or something very absorbent around the offending article and soak overnight with the Pen. fluid. Sometimes it helps to try and 'tighten' the bolt as this will crack the bonding. If the key-way is shagged and you can't use a decent A-Key, then I'm affraid it's a pilot drill and screw extractor.

Pedro
11-10-2004, 01:07 PM
Apply a little heat (carefully) and soak in pentrating oil.

norrie
11-10-2004, 01:30 PM
What bolts are you trying to loosen?

Norrie.

Mark Walker
11-10-2004, 01:59 PM
Just trying to get the flyscreen off so that I can work a bit easier when I replace the bendy handlebars.....think it has been on for about 5 years and doesn't want to come off again......

peteS4
11-10-2004, 04:11 PM
place a bar over the allen key such as the ones used to pump up a trolly jack, the extra force gained from using a longer lever will do it, just hold the very end of the bar and turn very slowly, its never failed for me

Mark Walker
11-10-2004, 04:24 PM
Cracking idea, and I am rather ashamed I never thought of it! Still need to get some decent alan keys.......but that'll give me something to do at the weekend!

You can see I get easily excited......

Zimbo
11-10-2004, 05:24 PM
The key to it is to use reasonable quality allan keys, cheap ones distort and the edges round off. Even better are the hex bits fitted into a socket set ratchet. Machine mart do a reasonable set of allan keys for a fiver.
Second, penetrating fluid. WD40 is NOT a penetrating fluid, neither is it a lubricant, it's a water dispersing solvent. Proper stuff as mentioned above works so much better, as does Duck oil, Plusgas etc.
And again as above, applying some tightening force before loosening can help, so can tapping the head of the bolt with a hammer.

If you're stuck, pop it round if you like, I'm in Stonehouse.

Mark Walker
12-10-2004, 09:13 AM
Cheers Zimbo......will give it another go with some slightly better quality alan keys (i.e. not poundland) and some penetrating fluid and see how I get on......quite fancy replacing them all to be honest as they are starting to get a bit furry in places and I am sure some nice shiny stainless steel bolts would look nice..........