PDA

View Full Version : Belly Pan

hipshaker
29-09-2004, 04:30 PM
I was sort of thinking I quite like the look of Monsters with belly pans. What are the pro's and con's of this?

hipshaker
29-09-2004, 04:36 PM
i quite like the full length carbon ducati one

PaulS
29-09-2004, 04:50 PM
I have the shorter carbon DP one on my S4 and I got the impression that it was slightly more stable in cross-wind situations (e.g. passing lorries on motorways) after I fitted it. I can't think of any cons off-hand.

A Yerbury
29-09-2004, 05:37 PM
pros= makes the underside look tidier.
cons= you wont bother cleaning the underside.
ooh the irony, I have one of the smaller ones sparesgeezer does I thinks its the monza, the imola is too big IMO a bit like the duc pef one.

JMo
29-09-2004, 06:00 PM
cons= you wont bother cleaning the underside.

But then you won't need too surely?!... x

I reckon it probably helps stop a lot of the starter-motor problems (crud doesn't get on the contacts etc.), and stops the salt and ****e attacking the lower exhaust pipe...

You might find the engine runs a bit hotter though? - especially the full length/enclosed type.

xxx

Richard_S
29-09-2004, 06:15 PM
lovin mine ; by far the best "add on" ive done in terms of looks.

if your going to do it do it now though. i made the mistake of clocking up 2000 winter miles before doing it and that has caused some unsighly mess on the bottom of the exhaust etc. You cant see it unless you really look but I know its there and despite my bestest efforts tis not perfect :)

A Yerbury
29-09-2004, 07:52 PM
what I was driving at (and I suspect you know!) was dont stick it on and ignore the underside. It does keep the pipes and such a lot tidier which I ve PJ ed and err ignored but they no longer have the rusty hue. As Ive droned on about the starter before I may as well continue..its worth putting some gel or silicone or something on the protective boot as it tends to hold water which runs down the wire corroding the bejesus out of the connection.
Alex.
ps avoid naff "advance" decals and spitfire inspired paint jobs.

slug
30-09-2004, 11:48 AM
I fitted the full length DP carbon belly pan.
The pros and cons for me are:
PROS
+ Protects the engine casings/starter motor from stone chips
+ Looks quite good. IMO tidys things up considerably
+ If you have it painted and leave some lettering/logo for the CF to show through (like a 999R fairing) it looks even cooler

CONS
- Quite costly £150ish
- If you have it painted it gets stone chipped
- Engine did seem to run a little warmer, although no probs
- Grounded it once on a speed bump (going too fast :mad: )
- It catches stones from the rear wheel (although it can be flushed out with a hosepipe and there is a drain hole in the bottom
- Difficult to remove for services and cleaning

All in all I wouldnt get rid of it.

If you get the DP one make sure you get the right one (part number 96943902B for the M800) THe one for the 900 just wont fit.

A Yerbury
30-09-2004, 12:11 PM
this time of year they collect oak leaves...

slug
30-09-2004, 03:13 PM
What about all the others like Ash, Elm, Horse Chestnut, Sycamore ;) etc

Spike
30-09-2004, 03:52 PM
Got to get one for the monnie myself now the question is painted or carbon not sure wich :confused:

slug
30-09-2004, 09:57 PM
This is the DP CF belly pan which I had painted. If i were doing it again I would have the long DP logo which has 'DucatiPerformance' all one one line.Belly pan

hipshaker
02-10-2004, 03:40 PM
yes ............. thats the one. In carbon fibre I think I like. My bike has a couple of carbon fibre bits so it should match. Easy to fit?

slug
06-10-2004, 10:01 PM
It was a bit fiddly to fit. I had to file some of the CF in a couple of places so that it would clear the engine covers. You have to remove the sidestand and one foot rest hanger because it uses those bolts. And the pan wasnt supplied with a fitting kit so I had to go out and buy some longer stainless bolts and some tubular spacers.

If you get one let me know and I will give you some more detailed hints & tips for fitting

monsta munch
01-02-2005, 07:37 PM
ive read through the threads but does anyone know if there are any particular ones for the 600? im looking for a red one pref the longer sort, also hi to everyone i havent seen for such a long time, ive been rather busy going to australia and then going to hospital to sort out my front bottom! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :bunny:

Pedro
01-02-2005, 10:20 PM
ive read through the threads but does anyone know if there are any particular ones for the 600? im looking for a red one pref the longer sort, also hi to everyone i havent seen for such a long time, ive been rather busy going to australia and then going to hospital to sort out my front bottom! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :bunny:

Hey Sharon

thought you'd been beamed up or something!

The belly pan on my 900 will fit yours too - it's the Imola from Spareshack. No real sweat to fit although I did have to trim it a little in places with a dremel. If you want a hand fitting the belly pan, gis a shout.

Oh, and that's a little too much info........

Ped

DesmoDog
02-02-2005, 08:49 AM
How did you do the Ducati performance stencil for the paintowork?