PDA

View Full Version : rear shock spring removable

A Yerbury
28-09-2004, 06:42 PM
can the rear sachs be stripped easily? I'm thinking of getting the spring repainted as prev owner has turned it into a bit of a mess (and its yellow..)
ta
Alex

Duncan
28-09-2004, 07:42 PM
Yes it can and its easy but make a note of the positions of the locking rings before unsrewing.

The springs being flexible are plastic coated and unless you choose paint wisely it will just fall off a spring in use. You can buy the spring or get an Ohlins spring thats a different colour.

berto
28-09-2004, 07:45 PM
:cool: Get it coated black(if it's not fecked fatty!!!) :eek:

Byron Kauffman
28-09-2004, 07:49 PM
Alex;

Not a big job. it would be easier if you have the correct wrenches for the spring retaining rings. You will need to get the mufflers and rear sets out of the way to get to the bottom bolt. jack up the bike to unload the rear. I put a scissor jack between the top of the rear tire and subframe while the bike was on a race stand. Just unbolt the upper and lower mounts and remove the shock assembly, Be sure to look at how the bolts are positioned so you get them back in the same direction on the rebuild. You can then put the shock assembly in a vise at the one end and use the wrenches to spin off the retaining rings. Count the number of turns so you can easily put it back where you started. It will be very tight at first but easier as pressure comes off. I did my spring in the "near chrome" powdercoat so it looks about like the aluminum swingarm. I hit that pothole earlier this year and I know the suspension compressed 6" without cracking the powdercoat.

A Yerbury
28-09-2004, 08:11 PM
cheers chaps, I had planned on Powder Coating (for its wonderful flexible qualities and colour range!!) , I ve got a c spanner knocking about so its all doable, wot ho bertie you silly arse I am not a fat fecker but a fit !!!!er! its currently tatty black with yellow flecks showing through as the previous owner was not an artist like myself but an amateur!! i really want to clean the whole thing up and its cheaper than a hagon (250) oh and get this ducati sachs shock = same price as bloody swedens finest!