PDA

View Full Version : cambelt covers

Scotty
26-09-2004, 04:17 PM
any one pained or had painted the cambelt covers ?
am very tempted to have a go at it myself and bugger it up the question is a paint recomendation kida suspect that the H H Halfords range of spraypaint will eventually flake off being next to the warm-ness of the engine :( like what has happened to us painted radiator fans :mad: would a finnishing treatment /coat /or sumit have prevented this ?

A Yerbury
26-09-2004, 04:45 PM
painted mine a few times. assuming the s4 has the metal ones just sand prime paint and lacquer I used various makes and they all seem ok (even h******s) the covers dont get super hot so you dont have to get the vht stuff, you can but you dont really need to.
Alex.
ps halfords do a vht paint on gloss that goes on a treat and is easy to get between the fins etc, I found it a bit blobby/viscous str8 out the tin so thinned it 70-30 with white spirit.

PaulS
26-09-2004, 05:16 PM
The S4 has carbon fibre cam belt covers. Personally I wouldn't paint them. If you don't like the look of cf get a pair of secondhand plastic ones and paint them. Then you'll be able to put the cf ones back on if you sell the bike.

norrie
26-09-2004, 05:47 PM
I managed to get a set of alloy ones off e-bay and had them polished.
They look well smart.
Still not fitted them as they are a bugger to fit with them being alloy they dont flex like the plastic ones.

Norrie.

Scotty
26-09-2004, 06:05 PM
umm bike is covered in carbon fibre as it is just kinda fancy a change oh and the extra weight of a layer of paint ;) might paint me seat cowel an all ummmm
just in case i change my mind am i doomed once ive started or would it be possible to chemically remove paint without nackering the carbon fibre underneath ? or would it polish up after hummm
re-arange these words in to a sentance ?

DesmoDom
26-09-2004, 06:19 PM
Don't try to paint yer carbon, as you'll find it's full of tiny pin holes that just keep sucking the paint into the fibre, unless you want to spend hours using wipe on filler then flatting it back (I did a lot of that in my last job).
Also, no you would'nt be able to chemically strip the paint off, as the stripper would react with the resin that holds the fibres together.
Get a set of 916 cam belt covers from a breakers, use some etching primer and paint them, much easier. :D :D :D

Baz

Byron Kauffman
26-09-2004, 06:26 PM
I painted many of the motor parts including the belt cover on my 900. I did them in wrinkle paint like old Ferrari cam covers. As long as you clean and prep them correctly you wont have any problems. They do not get very hot as they only contact the case on the edge and have airflow on both sides.
Remove them, scrub them down with a good degreaseing cleaner and then when dry wash them down with lacquer thinner to remove the last of the oil. I went over them with a scotchbright pad to be sure there was a light texture for the paint to bite in. Any good lacuuer or enamel engine paint will work (you dont need heat paint).
My parts have been on for a few years, done several thousand miles and live in Florida corrosive environment with no problems yet.

Scotty
26-09-2004, 06:49 PM
many thanks guys
only by the time ive got the bits in place il be back at work again oh hum

A Yerbury
26-09-2004, 07:05 PM
what colour were you thinking of, didnt realise they were cf, it can be painted but you need special primer stuff (this is not its technical name)

Scotty
26-09-2004, 09:25 PM
BLue is the way forward for engine parts and YELLOW for some of the top bits
ya know id havea go wi photoshop or whatever but i dunt have the abilty t do it proper like or is that i cant be arsed

hummm i somtimes wonder if i give the impression that im a complete tard ~:?

ho humm

Scotty
26-09-2004, 09:26 PM
umm see them samco silicone cooling hoses look tempting an all
blue but of course

A Yerbury
26-09-2004, 10:08 PM
sounds interesting, desmodom has a link or some knowledge about painting carbon (I think) I cant remember the thread sorry...blue lump with yellow covers?

Scotty
26-09-2004, 10:14 PM
its gona work a tell thee ;)

might have t get new leathers mind

hahahaher

heyDJ
27-09-2004, 06:37 AM
I say just aynk those covers off. You know your bird wants to be free!