PDA

View Full Version : What is a Scottoiler?

SAMMYE
25-09-2004, 02:00 PM
I know to many this will sound a stupid question but what are they? :confused:

The Kevlar Kid
25-09-2004, 02:09 PM
An unsightly piece of tat that you can bolt to your bike to make it heavier, and add lots of cable ties to scratch your frame. Primarily for people who can't be arsed to clean and lubricate their chain.

You'd never guess I don't like them would you.

As a serious answer to your question though, they are basically an automatic chain oiling kit. From a hidden resevoir (often behind the numberplate) a pipe will carry the oil to a suitable place near your chain, and will slowly dripfeed oil onto it, to keep it lubricated.

If you decide to get one, remember three things:

1) Your chain will still need cleaning regularly

2) Dont forget to keep the resevoir topped up. I've known people to run around for months with no oil in it and wonder why their chain is shagged.

3) Make sure you get the kit with two drip pipes, as the earlier ones only had the one and therefore only lubricated one side of the chain (brilliant idea...)

SAMMYE
25-09-2004, 02:25 PM
hmmmmmm sounds like way too much hassle to me!!!

A Yerbury
25-09-2004, 02:56 PM
its a little "scotch" fellow who oils your chain for you.

slob
25-09-2004, 04:33 PM
I think you'll find it's pronounced "snot-oiler".

Mand
25-09-2004, 08:04 PM
I've just had my dual action (double ended!!!) scotoiler fitted today - and I am very proud.

Joo joo and Roo roo are very proud of their scotties too! :)

PS Snotoiler, my sides have just split........ :lol: :lol:

Pedro
25-09-2004, 11:09 PM
Have a look at www.scottoiler.co.uk

The Kevlar Kid
26-09-2004, 12:23 AM
Nooooooo don't do it.

What you want is some intimate chain action (though preferably not when the bike is running)

spacemonkey
26-09-2004, 09:57 AM
Or for those with more individualistic tendencies, try a Motrax electronic oiler. Two wires sees it connected to the fuse box. It hides behind the right rear panel and runs a small tube down to swing arm, exiting just in front of the rear sprocket. It drips into the inside middle of the chain so only one nozzle is required. The elcetronic adjustable timer is an extra, though essential to control the flow. My chain need cleaning substantially less than before with aerosol oils. It is very frugal, and doesn't fling crap on the wheel often either. Bear in mind that you all have an O-ring chain and thus the chain link pins are 'oiled' by the grease trapped inside the rollers, not by the oil you spray on. This is merely lube for the sprocket to chain contact, therefore you need absolutely bugger all, which the chain oilers provide. Set on a minimal setting they do the job perfectly, and on my dads ZZR they left it with a very clean new looking chain for the 4000 miles he did from new, without flinging crap anywhere.

At the end of the day it's your choice. The nay sayers who dictate about weight savings, should think about having a damn good dump before they go out, as this will probably counteract the massive weight of a Scottoiler device. Are they the type of people who weigh evrything they put on their bikes and their personal kit on themselves? Do they inflate their tyres with helium to counteract the massive weight of the dog-burger they just eaten? Inquiring minds need to know...

The Kevlar Kid
26-09-2004, 10:47 AM
The nay sayers who dictate about weight savings, should think about having a damn good dump before they go out, as this will probably counteract ...

Spacemonkey....
What can I say......
As I'm a fat git, weight savings are pretty pointless. The comment was merely intended to be an expression of my disgust at these horrible things.
After all I'm not suggesting stripping things off your bike to save weight (I still have my tea tray you know) merely not to bother adding more crap than needed. If you love your oiler thats fine.... no need to get upset.

I love my chain....... regularly.....

(Dont you hate people that keep using dots.......)

Zimbo
26-09-2004, 04:05 PM
Well they're not for everyone I suppose but I rate them, had one fitted to each of my last 3 bikes. Nice clean shiny chain, they don't fling any more than any other chain lubricant once set up properly, and my chains last for ever these days with almost no adjustment required.
I don't agree about the dual injector either I'm afraid, they can be a right pain in the arse. Oil applied to the end plates on one side is distributed along the rollers by capilliary action, so you don't actually deprive one side of the chain of lubrication ...
Only slight downside is that the injector can interfere with some paddock stands when fitted on the rear sprocket. On the upside I almost never need to use the paddock stand though, since the chain requires little maintenance ...

spacemonkey
26-09-2004, 09:43 PM
Spacemonkey....
What can I say......
As I'm a fat git, weight savings are pretty pointless. The comment was merely intended to be an expression of my disgust at these horrible things.
After all I'm not suggesting stripping things off your bike to save weight (I still have my tea tray you know) merely not to bother adding more crap than needed. If you love your oiler thats fine.... no need to get upset.

I love my chain....... regularly.....

(Dont you hate people that keep using dots.......)

Well I'm a skinny runt so I can afford a coupla extra grammes, especially now I use unleaded petrol. I have a tea tray too. Just need the PG to go with it and we can have a party!