PDA

View Full Version : Help Please Clutch has gone spongy

Arnie
24-09-2004, 07:37 PM
Riding back from work tonight (on the scenic route) my clutch got more and more spongy and the point at which the clutch disengaged required the leaver to be pulled back further and further until the clutch would only just disengage. Initial inspection in the dark shows no evidence of leaking fluid - as a mechanical imbecile can someone tell me what else I should check for and if it needs bleading some pointers would help. KIS (KEEP IT SIMPLE :) )

Nigel C
24-09-2004, 07:58 PM
undo the allen bolts holding the slave cylinder on remove the slave cylinder and check for leakage there should be easy spot don't pull the clutch lever while your doing this :rolleyes: you could try bleeding the the clutch as a first step and if that doesn't solve it try the slave cylinder

Arnie
24-09-2004, 08:16 PM
thanks - guess theres no gasket between the engine casing and the clutch cylinder as it's dry?

spacemonkey
24-09-2004, 11:40 PM
Three bolts and it's off.

Arnie
25-09-2004, 07:33 AM
Ok slave cyclinder off and yes it does appear to be leaking :( , around the piston. I notice spareshack have a Clutch slave cylinder piston upgrade for Ducati OEM slave cylinders do I need one of these or a whole new slave cylinder? Also the rubber boot between the piston and the release rod is perished. Would like to do this my self so has anyone got any more advice and tips - thanks in advance

Rockhopper
25-09-2004, 08:11 AM
You may be able to use the new piston, it depends on how much damage there is to the bore of the existing cylinder. Only someone who knows will be able to tell you this!

spacemonkey
25-09-2004, 08:33 AM
To be totally honest it isn't worth repairing as it is a bad desing and will do it again. chances are that if it has got this far then the piston and bore are scratched so it's a write off anyway. Bite the bullett and get the 748/998 clutch slave AND corresponding longer pushrod and fit that. It is a much better design and can't really leak like the old one. The pushrod is overpriced (about £20!) but ask Nat if he still has any slaves. Failing that ask Spareshack if he has 'em. It really is worth the expense of doing it.

gary tompkins
25-09-2004, 10:20 AM
Albie had a nightmare with his clutch a few weeks ago, and ended up buying about three 2nd hand slaves before figuring out it just needed more bleeding. He tipped the bike right over in the end, and got a load more air out of the bleed nipple.

Try sending Albie a PM as he may want to flog one of his spare slaves to you?

They also come up new on Ebay regularly (Billet Evo type) and go for about £75-£80

PaulS
25-09-2004, 11:55 AM
If you look at the Sponsor page under Links on this site Spareshack are doing the Evoluzione slaves for £80 for members at the moment.

Nigel C
25-09-2004, 05:57 PM
I know you can bleed air out of the brakes by taping or tying the brake lever hard on and leaving it overnight but I don't know if you could apply this method to the clutch :confused:

Arnie
25-09-2004, 07:22 PM
anyone used the evoluzione slaves, I presume they use the same push rod?

Phoenix
25-09-2004, 08:59 PM
Erm. I have a spare off a 600 original fitment but i don't know if it will fit yours. If someone can tell you that then you can have it if you like.
Mines a 99 600 and i changed it for a higher powered jobby. Yours if it will fit hun.

gary tompkins
25-09-2004, 11:48 PM
If you look at the Sponsor page under Links on this site Spareshack are doing the Evoluzione slaves for £80 for members at the moment.

Here's a link to one for sale on Ebay :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10448&item=7924380519&rd=1

Rockhopper
26-09-2004, 06:57 AM
anyone used the evoluzione slaves, I presume they use the same push rod?

I've got one and yes, they use the same push rod. We actually i've got their piston in a standard Ducati cylinder. They have a ten year warranty on them as well and feel very nice. Bled up easily as well.

Arnie
27-09-2004, 08:28 PM
thanks to all for advice and offers - I have ordered the evoluzione slave and will fit this weekend.