PDA

View Full Version : Rear sprocket change on 900sie

queen_gpants
24-09-2004, 12:42 PM
I recall reading somewhere on here that fitting a larger sprocket to my 900 would help with the snatchy clutch at low revs / 1st gear?

Now I've got it back after its service I really want to sort this out, as the clutch is bloody hard work in slow traffic.

Which size rear sprocket should I go for and apart from smoother accelaration what else can I expect to gain?

Ta very muchly :D

norrie
24-09-2004, 12:57 PM
A larger rear sprocket will give you more accelaration.
Not to sure about it making the clutch less snatchy.
Have you upgraded the slave cylinder?

Norrie.

Meteor
24-09-2004, 01:08 PM
I recently changed the gearing on my M900S for the same reasons - in my case I fitted a front sprocket with one tooth less and have been seriously pleased with the result :) . The main effect has been on the low speed running and pick up.

I was told that 1 tooth off the front is equal to adding 2 to 3 teeth on the back.

Hope this helps.

queen_gpants
24-09-2004, 01:13 PM
Cheers Meteor that's what I needed to know!

So I think I'll go for a smaller front sprocket as I don't need anymore accelaration I'd be permanently on the back wheel! :p

Pedro
24-09-2004, 01:16 PM
Cheers Meteor that's what I needed to know!

So I think I'll go for a smaller front sprocket as I don't need anymore accelaration I'd be permanently on the back wheel! :p

Errr, C, the result is the same....

Smaller front sprocket lowers the gearing as does fitting a larger rear sprocket.

Ped

PaulS
24-09-2004, 01:25 PM
I went up two teeth on the rear sprocket of my bike and it improved the rideability in traffic considerably. As has been said changing the front sprocket for one with one less tooth has the same effect as going up about 2.5 teeth on the rear. Changing the front is easier and slightly cheaper but is allegedly harder on your chain. Personally I would change the rear.

queen_gpants
24-09-2004, 01:39 PM
I only want to replace the sprocket to make it easier to use at low speeds, I do very little mileage on the bike anyway so I'm not too concerned about excessive wear on my chain.

I had a nightmare getting the back wheel lined up after fitting a new tyre anyway and I've still got the sprocket cover to fit that Yerbs sent me a while back so two jobs done in one!

A Yerbury
24-09-2004, 02:06 PM
glad you got round to it in the end! by snatchy (lurchy) do you mean it picks up straight away or is there a split second before the bite hence the lurch, a lower front makes the initial pull smoother with less stally/lurchy behaviour (a prob on old 600s post 94 as they put a 15 on as opposed to 14 which my year came with) in this case a lower one at the front helps, an updated slave helps 900s about town, spacemonkey does a fair bit of city riding on a 9 he may have some pearls. I dont know if you recall but before choosing the 900 a few of us did point out that they can be a bit of a chore around heavy traffic! anyway good luck and Im glad you like your cover!
Alex

Bruza
24-09-2004, 03:03 PM
Deffo do the sprocket thang... makes the bike much better. (AND MORE FUN)

Won't make the clutch easier though. Need to do what norrie said and upgrade the slave cylinder.

spacemonkey
24-09-2004, 04:35 PM
Well everything has been mentioned so no need to go over old stuff.
I did my front sprocket and replaced the chain and standard rear at the same time and it has done at least 10k miles on it mostly around town, and all is fine. The auto oiler probably helps here....

Done the clutch slave too. It's the one off a 748/996 I believe, with the correspondingly longer pushrod. Got rid of the leaking problems and feels a little lighter, but the best cure for a heavy clutch is to get on and use the bloody thing. Soon you will have forearms like Popeye and you'll wonder what people are grissling about. Namby pambys...

Ps, I saw my bike today for the first time since June and gave the clutch a squeeze. Guess I'll have to build up my arms again!!

queen_gpants
24-09-2004, 06:02 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys, I'll change the front sprocket first then see how I get on before splashing out on a slave cylinder.

The problem I have with the clutch is that I have a weak left arm following a couple of crashes, after a while my hand just seizes up but that's something I'll have to live with.

Better get the M&P catalogue out and get ordering!

Pedro
24-09-2004, 11:02 PM
The 748/998 slave cylinder is about the same bore size as the older monnie one so no advantage in terms of lever feel, it just doesn't leak!

Spareshack do a "lighter feel" slave I think. Space is right though, you just need to do more miles!!!

:D

Ped

Hey Space, when you getting your bike back then?

spacemonkey
25-09-2004, 12:39 AM
Hey Space, when you getting your bike back then?

OI! You havin' a feckin' larf, matey? I saw it today and it brought a tear to my eye... Dunno, he said he has a large box of Ducati bits arrive today (which he did as it is leaning against a nice 851) and he will open it in the morning. Hopefully it will have my essential camshaft, but i'm not holding my breath. This has really forked me off as I have now missed the entire summer and thus the only time that it is truthfully pleasurable to ride the bike a long way. Not a happy bunny! If anyone reading this has pity on the poor monkey and would care to lend it a 916 for a while, it would certainly make it happy again. Please send keys to the usual address.

pooh
25-09-2004, 01:02 AM
Celeste
Can't be arsed to read all the posts but be aware that if your bike is a 2000/2002 Monster ieS the front sprocket is differant to all other Monsters I have had all sorts of problems trying to replace my chain and sprockets

Ian