PDA

View Full Version : Which hoops ?

DesmoMike
23-09-2004, 09:10 PM
Lets have some feedback on tyres.
I've an S4 and would like some fairly sticky rubber,
I was thinking of Dunlop 207RR's (theyre cheap)
or maybe Diablo Corsa's.
What do you think?

fatbloke
23-09-2004, 09:17 PM
i use the Dunlop 207's myself and i love them. best tyres i've ever used, sticky as hell but wear real fast.
I cant comment on the Diablos as I've never tried them.
Just as an after thought an awful lot of club racers use the 207's not sure if that coz there cheap or good.

NattyBoy
23-09-2004, 09:20 PM
The diabolos every time..ive never had a bad pirelli tyre since 1987 and the latest corsas are incredible....and it keeps it italian.. ;) Cheers
Nat

fatbloke
23-09-2004, 09:26 PM
i use the Dunlop 207's myself and i love them. best tyres i've ever used, sticky as hell but wear real fast.
I cant comment on the Diablos as I've never tried them.
Just as an after thought an awful lot of club racers use the 207's not sure if that coz there cheap or good.

just read this back to myself and realise its no bloody help what so ever ho hum

DesmoDom
23-09-2004, 10:17 PM
Dunlop 207 RR's, are very sticky, as I found out on the track day, but as Terry said, they don't last long. Personally, I've never got on with any Pirelli, but that's probably the way I ride :rolleyes: . Bridgestones are good, but once again don't last long. I think the one's I'll be putting on next will be a pair
of Avon Azaro Sports, or more probably Sport Tourers, as they grip really well and last ages, I had them on my 996, without any problems. :D :D :D

Baz

NattyBoy
24-09-2004, 08:42 AM
I used to have cheng shins on my MBX80...they lasted reasonably well... :lol: :burnout:

Melnie Mouse
24-09-2004, 09:17 AM
Corsa's are best as they're stickiest, but as you say don't last long, the Dunlop 207's are good priced cos there's a deal buy the set for 160 quid depending on your size...

I prefer Bridgestone's myself, and they DO last a long time, 010 or 020 still sticky, give me confidence, dry and WET, and lasted me a long time... 8500 miles! yeahhhhhhh

okay okay I dont' do track days, but I do a lot of miles about 1000 every month all year round

Happy Hunting.. :)

dean
24-09-2004, 09:47 AM
contintental road attacks, Just got a pair £150 fitted, stick to the road like s~@t to a blanket, and for what it's worth they look a little funky as well.

spacemonkey
24-09-2004, 03:39 PM
I clicked onthis thread thinking it was a review of favourite flavoured Hula Hoops. Damn, it's all about boring bloody tyres..

Well for my two penneth: Avon Azaro ST's. Dual compound, last absolutely forever, grip as good as anything else 'on the road' and cheap with it. Badda boom, badda bing.

Plum
24-09-2004, 04:06 PM
I put some Bridgestone BT 020's i think (dual compound) I felt instantly happier for putting them on. I think i paid about £240 for them though. I think its a case of trying things out. I am going to give Pirellis a go next though, i dont think its a good thing to get in the frame of mind that because one tyre works for you all the others arent worth trying. That said i still recommend the Brigestones

The Kevlar Kid
24-09-2004, 05:37 PM
Just fitted the new BT014 Bridge's to mine and there better than the 020's, more grip and seem to be lasting ok too - or did until I got puncture - just got it repaired though.

Only problem is cos they're still quite new, they are still quite expensive.....

psychlist
24-09-2004, 06:54 PM
Just fitted a pair of BT014 (replacement for 010) and instantly felt more secure and grippier than the OEM Michelin pilot bananaskins :eek:

Try www.wraysburytyres.co.uk
A very experienced and bike friendly workshop with excellent workmanship, coffee and prices ;)
If you want extended mileage from your tyres go for the 020 version, excellent all round tyre on ANY bike, check out this months BIKE magazine :cool: gave the 020 rave reviews everywhere (except on the track) compared to so-called "sticky" rubber!

Plum
26-09-2004, 07:27 PM
I cant remember wot my monnie came with. I suspect they were the originals from new so they were probably Dunlop. I hated them with a passion. The front used to feel like it was ready to 'wash out' and i began to wonder how much this hampered my riding skills. My riding improved so much with a better set of hoops on them. At least i know what i WONT put on the bike!

Fraser
28-09-2004, 01:33 PM
here's a thought that's bound to provoke comment. vast majority of cases it doesn't matter. 95% of folk aren't capable of exploiting the difference and 95% of today's rubber is so good it makes no odds. As a few have pointed out, Dunlop 207/8s are cheap and very bloody cheerful and i usually go for those on cost basis. I've even had it on bloody good authority (UKSB team) that even those tomahawk remoulds are more than capable road rubber.

Spike
28-09-2004, 01:55 PM
Got dunlop 207's on the monnie and bridgestones on the daytona, you pay your money you makes your choice.

marchesini
28-09-2004, 05:59 PM
here's a thought that's bound to provoke comment. vast majority of cases it doesn't matter. 95% of folk aren't capable of exploiting the difference and 95% of today's rubber is so good it makes no odds. As a few have pointed out, Dunlop 207/8s are cheap and very bloody cheerful and i usually go for those on cost basis. I've even had it on bloody good authority (UKSB team) that even those tomahawk remoulds are more than capable road rubber.

I personally wasn't bothered what was on the bike and it was usually Pirelli's or Bridgestones. Never did anything unusual and stuck as expected (except on congestion charge markings and manhole covers!!).

It was only when I bought a Monster S4 with Michelin Pilots on that I thought I was going to fall off on tight corners. I found out that a lot of tyres have different profiles - the Pirellis are a consistent radius which means nothing unexpected happens wheras the Michelins had a more triangular profile which meant a sharp drop-in and allowed for quicker steering. I personally didn't like it as I couldn't predict when it was going 'drop'. The other tale I have heard is that Michelins aren't as forgiving as others - stick like buggery and then bang, you're off (allegedly). OK, it may just be magazines but if you read this enough times, enough doubt will remain that "I'd better not push this tyre too much". Isn't there a saying that riding a bike is a lot to do with your state of mind and confidence (or something like that) - if I saw a racer ride my bike really fast and cranked over, I would be much more confident in my abilities to go faster because I know the bike is more than cabable.

Anyway, for the record, I prefer Diablos now coz they sound cool.

Best regards

simon

psychlist
28-09-2004, 06:41 PM
Anyway, for the record, I prefer Diablos now coz they sound cool.

Oooh, you devil ;)

celt
28-09-2004, 06:49 PM
i stick with pirelli diablo or bridgestone bt 010 (014)

berto
28-09-2004, 07:42 PM
:p D207RR's are great as are the diablo's if pushed I'd say it's price dependant,I've got Michelin pilot s2 race on at the moment and they are feckin rubbish on the road but great on sunny+track days so it's back to pirelli or dunlop for me :rolleyes:

A Yerbury
28-09-2004, 08:20 PM
bertie you tart whats with the red anodised bolts?!......ooh hang, on I've got them on mine too...

berto
28-09-2004, 08:38 PM
:( They are now cerise cos that **** poor pro bolt stuff sucks donkeys ya big arty queerhawk ;)

A Yerbury
28-09-2004, 08:45 PM
Mine are wrp....ya lardy uncouth fag felching stag bummer.

berto
28-09-2004, 08:48 PM
:( yours are prob done on the cheap with a wee paint by numbers kit....hee-heee

A Yerbury
28-09-2004, 08:54 PM
dont be a fool shirty lifting bertie I stole them from work and they are bona fide. so there you "hee hee"ing be-skirted prole!

berto
28-09-2004, 08:56 PM
:eek: Did you smuggle them oot analy?? :burnout:

A Yerbury
28-09-2004, 08:57 PM
"you chatty,batty boy???"
begone with your lewd PM advances! blokes? no chances! with the ladies, I dances.
AY
look, it nearly rhymes ok?!

berto
28-09-2004, 09:00 PM
:cool: respec ya southern woolyback ginswigger

A Yerbury
28-09-2004, 09:02 PM
:eek: Did you smuggle them oot analy?? :burnout:

can we stop this now, I am becoming "alarmed"

A Yerbury
28-09-2004, 09:02 PM
gin? now theres a thought..................