PDA

View Full Version : Are they having a laugh!

queen_gpants
20-09-2004, 10:25 AM
The monster is over due it's first 12 month service so I thought before I sell it I should get it done.

My nearest Ducati service centre is Daytona's in Ruislip (boo hiss I hear you all cry!) but I rang them anyway and get quoted about £170.

I always ring around so I aslo called Ducati Aylesbury who quoted me £349 but I'm told by the bloke on the phone that includes the valve clearances.

I ask why do the valve clearances need doing? The bike is only 14 months old and has only done 3256 miles (5240kms). The reply is that the valve clearances get done at EVERY Ducati service....well that's news to me!

I then checked my service book and it says quite clearly valve clearances are checked every 10,000 kms!

I called Daytona's back and told them what had just been said and they said what a load of rubbish, the valve clearances don't need doing on this occassion.

Going by the amount of miles I do each year they won't need doing for another 12 months.

So are Ducati Aylesbury trying to pull a fast one here? :mad:

Fraser
20-09-2004, 11:06 AM
I've just been quoted near as damm it £400 for annual service for my S4R!! only year old and only 1000 miles since the first service!! told them to stick it and they've just done an oil/filter and check over job.....and stamped the book accordingly mentioning the low mileage as the reason. :eek:

NattyBoy
20-09-2004, 11:29 AM
£170 sounds a bit cheap!...I got charged that for my first service on my S4R (which is basically a check over and Oil and fuel filter change. I would say that OYB's quote is about the right money for a 12 monther...which doesnt mean I agree with it by the way :mad: :mad:

I think a valve clearance check is std practice...although they almost certainly wont need doing :confused:

Nat

queen_gpants
20-09-2004, 02:54 PM
What I'm angry about is being told that the valve clearances have to be done every service when quite clearly that's rubbish.

OYB didnt ask what my current mileage is, whereas Daytona's did and they can clearly see that the valve clearances don't need doing for another 3,000 miles which is about 12 months for me as I don't ride my bike very much.

Having gone through the monster service book I think £170 sounds about right for checking and replacing some of the fluids, replacing filters etc, checking spark plugs, bolts etc, its nothing major and certainly doesnt warrant £349!

I hate using Dealers for anything becasue as far as I'm concerned they're all out to scam you even more so when you're a woman! I look forward to when the warranty has finished and I can go back to using my little back street guy in Harrow who seems to be about the only honest mechanic out there!

Anyway the bike's booked in Wednesday at Daytona's, I shall report back once I've collected it, then we can see if £170 is cheap and cheerful or value for money! :D

Collie_dog
20-09-2004, 09:48 PM
I hate using Dealers for anything becasue as far as I'm concerned they're all out to scam you even more so when you're a woman!

Sorry but i had to comment, i am also of the girly persuasion but i have never been scammed by either a car or bike dealer, to think that they still prey on us, is a very un-nerving thought....i find that dealers scam people who are too silly not to phone around and get quotes for work...or who don't do a little bit of reasearch and find out what work needs doing!!

As you said you found out about the valves/milage and then happily told OYB to b@gger off and stick their quote! Well done :) it may make them realise that we do know what we're talking about!!

BoozyBOB
20-09-2004, 11:41 PM
i agree with Collie...if you phone around you can get treated well...there is no dealer loyalty now..go for the best price/quote..even if you have to ride 50-60 miles to get it

gjams
21-09-2004, 05:37 PM
Celeste,

Who is the "little back street guy in Harrow" you mentioned there? I need to get my 24 month service and I am trying to avoid Ducati dealer as they are VERY expensive and the warranty is period is over anyway.

Could you please PM me or post here his phone number and/or address?

Thank you

queen_gpants
21-09-2004, 06:40 PM
His name is Bill Bailey also known as Roebotech.

He was recommended to me by Dark Monster as apparently quite a few people on here use him.

He's the best mechanic I've found in the 4 years I've been riding. A really nice down to earth guy who talks straight and doesnt charge the earth.

He's got a small workshop round the back of a parade of shops, nothing flash but he knows his stuff and that's the main thing

I think he charges £35 an hour labour and NO VAT.

Tel: 0208 422 5800

Mobile: 07931 390689

Rear of TNT motorcycles (the bike may have changed names)
314 Eastcote Lane
South Harrow

queen_gpants
21-09-2004, 06:56 PM
When I first started riding back in 2000 I knew very little about motorbikes and how they worked.

I owned an nc30 for a couple of years and being an old bike it was always needing something doing to it, so I would take it along to a Honda dealer in Watford.

I didn't realise until much later when I got into bike mechanics that they ripped me off on a few occassions, I paid them quite a lot of money over the two years.

The biggest scam was when my exhaust was blowing (I didnt know this at the time), I could heard a rattling from the front of the engine and was convinced the pistons were out of line or something.

So I booked it in and they stripped the entire top end of the bike costing me quite a lot in labour and then rang me to say it was all fine, they then told me I had a hole in the exhaust and that was the problem and it needed welding.

They told me that to remove the exhaust system the entire engine had to come out, being a bit naive I said ok go ahead. Three days later and after handing over a very large amount of money I got my bike back fixed.

A year later I decided to replace the rear shock on the bike, I read the section in the Haynes manual and to get to the shock I had to remove the exhaust....nowhere did it say anything about removing the engine to remove the exhaust! In fact all I had to do was loosen off the radiators!

I was pretty pissed off when I realised I had been scammed by this dealer! :mad:

So after that I went to Merton College and studied for C&G in Basic and Advanced motorcycle skills and I do as much as I can to my bikes now, I only use my mechanic for diagnostics and serious stuff.

There are still lots of dealers out there who think women are easy prey and they spot new bikers a mile off.

I'm sure I'm not the only biker on here who's had similar experiences?

gjams
21-09-2004, 11:36 PM
Celeste, that is great, thanks! I should give him a call.

I also get the feeling of being ripped off everytime I go to a dealer. Having said this, I am an absolute ignorant when it comes to the functioning of the bike so I can never be sure. I was also thinking at some point to do the same course (I was actually looking at the Merton college cataloge not long ago..) to start to know the bike a bit better...

Thank you again for the tip.

queen_gpants
22-09-2004, 07:01 AM
The courses I did at Merton College with the City & Guilds 3991 and 3995 Motorcycle Mechanics Basic and Advanced skills.

I did it one day a week for 20 weeks and learnt loads, everything from stripping brakes to setting cam timing. It was really good fun and you went away feeling confident enough to try things on your own bike.

I still have to use a Haynes manual when I work on bikes but the difference now is that I have an understanding of how things work and I manage to do most things myself now which has saved me loads of money!

There was talk of the government doing any with these courses but that was 2 years ago and the college is still doing them get in there quick before they stop them altogether!

http://www.merton.ac.uk/course.asp?co_id=EMCYOT101

spacemonkey
22-09-2004, 12:50 PM
And I believe that a coupla years ago it was possible to get a wee grant. Supposedly everyone was entitiled to something like £150 towards adult ed I believe. Dunno where to check this out though..

A Yerbury
22-09-2004, 05:22 PM
If you can borrow a signing on card they are almost free.

queen_gpants
22-09-2004, 06:03 PM
And I believe that a coupla years ago it was possible to get a wee grant. Supposedly everyone was entitiled to something like £150 towards adult ed I believe. Dunno where to check this out though..

Blimey wish I'd known that at the time I paid out £450 for those courses! :eek:

queen_gpants
24-09-2004, 10:19 AM
Big thumbs up to Daytona's....

Just picked the bike up and its running beautifully. I didnt have any problems before but there's a distinct improvement, the engine feels much smoother and the clutch doesnt feel so stiff now.

They quoted me £170 on the phone, the actual cost was just under £150, I also ordered a new coded key when I dropped it off on Wednesday and it was ready so I'm really pleased.

They also removed the baffles from my high level Marvings...WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT, it sounds delicious now !!

I love my bike! :D

SAMMYE
25-09-2004, 01:03 PM
Ive heard people say bad things about daytona but so far my dealings in respect of parts has been very good!? :confused: why do some people not rate them??

queen_gpants
25-09-2004, 03:56 PM
I've had a couple of bad experiences with Daytona's on the parts side, stuff for my 888 taking ages to arrive, then not ringing me when stuff had arrived etc.

This is the first time I've used them for servicing, they've got a lovely girl called Emma working on the service desk, she was really helpful, called me when they were done to let me know that the service wasn't as expensive as quoted.

The next serivce isn't due for 12 months and my warranty will have expired by then so I will be going back to my guy in Harrow but that's because he's cheaper and I know he does an excellent job.

Richard_S
25-09-2004, 05:32 PM
that emma girl is as helpful as being smacked in the knackers with a sledge hammer the night your due to marry italian twin sisters.

spacemonkey
26-09-2004, 09:02 AM
True, but she is honestly trying to help. I spent a coupla hours with her on her first day, and she showed something very rare at Daytonas-customer service! She's new, and might not know a huge amount about bikes yet, but she's trying.

The trouble with Daytona seemd to revolve around shoddy mechanics. Whether they have been given the shove, or merely improved I don't know, but my last experience was good, unlike previous engagements. The parts guys at Ruislip are ace however, and have been really good. Dunno about Angel, which although is my local, I go to the other side of london to Ruislip.

Boon
06-02-2005, 09:23 AM
Has any one got the phone number of Daytonas- customer services and address ? or even a www address Thanx

Richard_S
06-02-2005, 09:38 AM
http://www.daytonamc.co.uk/

slob
06-02-2005, 12:35 PM
I did the same course at Carnaby (near Bridlington in East Yorks) quite a long time ago and was told that I was ineligible for a grant since I took A-levels at school and C&G is not considered a step further... B*stards.

Duncan
06-02-2005, 08:36 PM
Apart from the 1st service, my 1999 M900 has never been in a dealers workshop.

I have kept it serviced myself up to where it stands now with 45,000 miles on the clock.

In that time its been serviced by me and has been remarkably trouble free.

A few things to know.
1. Dont skimp on oil or filters, they are cheap compared to labour and repairs. I use quality synthetic oil. I base the viscosity selection on time of year and the chart in the manual supplied with the bike. It doesnt burn oil with 45,000 on the clock.
2. I try to ride the bike at least once a week. This keeps the oil around the moving parts and prevents damage on start up. It also keeps the battery in good shape. The battery is the original.
3. I keep the bike garaged and try and keep salt off it in winter. When cleaning I keep a preventative eye on maintenance issues.
4. I do the cam belts every 12,000 miles
5. The valve clearances were originally checked every 6000 miles when I serviced it. I record the figures and can keep an eye on drift across the setting range. With good oil, things dont wear and I have only had to change 1 shim at 36,000 miles.
6. I keep a general eye on filters and fluids and change them as it becomes necessary.

A major service costs me about £80 to do. A minor one about £40. So my total serving costs based on 3 major and 4 minor services has been £400. Based on dealers charging £180 for minor and £350 for the major the costs would have been £1770. I dont have any plans to sell my bike so a Full service history is of no concern and with those kind of miles is irrelevant anyway as the resale would be very low.

Things to go wrong
Rear light bulbs - They are a joke and I now have an LED cats eye tail light. All other bulbs still working and no other electrical problems.
Still on original battery.
Rear wheel bearing seized at 34000 miles.
Chain snapped at 24,000 miles although it had been replaced not long before. Generally a good chain will last 12,000 miles if Scottoiled
Rear shock bushes worn out at 38000 miles
Brake pads last forever cos I dont do towns, dont brake too often and prefer to read the road ahead. Front pads 36000 miles and rear 18000!!
Engine apart from service items just the 1 shim and STILL ON THE ORIGINAL CLUTCH (did I say I dont do towns)
Have replaced 2 speedo cables. First one seized at the bottom with moisture getting in and second one just snapped.
Clutch - Have had a seal go in the slave cylinder but thats not unusual for one of these.
Tyres - they wear out

Good new is the bike is still a great machine. The head bearings (originals) are just about due replacement and the back shock which I rebushed needs repressurising. Have had loads of bikes in the last 25 years and this is by far the best and most reliable. With no prospect of a wad of spare money and some heavy outgoings in the form of kids and a wife its gotta keep going.

jonnie comet
07-02-2005, 08:49 PM
Nice one Duncan....that's one in the eye for everyone who has told me not to buy a Ducati.......unreliable.....fall apart....blah,blah,blah..... Anyone out there with a similar high mileage/ owner maintained story to tell ?

Cheers

wooley_t
24-08-2008, 10:37 PM
Try JHP coventry or SPR Racing..........there in the midlands but damn there good....

wooley_t
24-08-2008, 10:58 PM
Hey Dunc,

Thats a good pitch youve put. Got my monster which im keeping for a long time....good to hear your history and mileage/servicing on your monster.

Ive had issues already with my chain/sprockets and ive only done 4k miles....scott oiler is on the agenda....sprockets and chain yet to be decided, if you have a recommendation, please let me know.

Rear bulb........effin pain in the arse....led conversion is on its way.

Same same on the oil and filters...........shouldnt be an issue......if your bored an have nothing to do....change your oil and filter........

Clutch and brakes, bleed them if you fall out with the mrs and your summoned to the garage.....nothing wrong with nice clean un-inhabited/water contaminated fluid.......

Like your style dunc and your advice...

Will.