PDA

View Full Version : What's so special about disc bolts

Paranoid Dave
19-09-2004, 11:47 AM
Need some and was going to buy stainless ones at BMF. Company i spoke to could do a complete stainless 600 engine set for under £20 which i might do, but a set of 6 disc bolts was £20 :eek: My guess is they take more stress and need to be tougher but can anyone advise before i call my local stockist and get 120 bog standard SS bolts to fit for a lot less cash.

Same with caliper bolts too, apparently stainless there is fine too but would they have to be super strengthy type stuff like the discs???

pooh
19-09-2004, 12:51 PM
Dave
Do not use stainless for anything to do with brakes as it has a tendancy to snap when heated and cooled regularly use titanium for caliper and discs. Drop me a PM with a list of what stainless bolts you need for the engine as I might be able to help.

Ian

Paranoid Dave
19-09-2004, 09:17 PM
thanks ian, i'm a while off doing engine bolts, have to do what i need first rather than want.

Pedro
19-09-2004, 11:20 PM
PD

any industrial fastener company can do all the stainless engine bolts for less than £20 - Take each one out one at a time and measure and write a list ( I have one for a 900 if you want it but there will be differences). I also used stainless on the forks and pretty much everwhere else except the brakes - this is a big no no!!

I used A4 grade stainless as it polishes well.

Ped

pooh
20-09-2004, 12:03 AM
Ped
fastener company or someone who works in food factories a lot Hee-Hee! saves loads of money.

Ian

Pedro
20-09-2004, 07:31 AM
Ped
fastener company or someone who works in food factories a lot Hee-Hee! saves loads of money.

Ian

Or if you have a factory with an electro-plating line that corrodes the cr*p out of everything except stainless!!

Ped