PDA

View Full Version : 600 wont start

norrie
18-09-2004, 06:08 PM
Went to start the bike this morning and it wouldn't start.
It eventually started but only fired on one cylinder.
It then cut out anf wont re-start.
I'm just out to check it over now but should I look for anything common on a Monster or just the usual stuff.
i.e. plugs etc.

Thanks.

Norrie.

A Yerbury
18-09-2004, 09:53 PM
wire fom the coil? failing that the usual stuff....

Rockhopper
19-09-2004, 10:18 AM
Run out of petrol?

norrie
19-09-2004, 04:19 PM
Changed the plugs and it started no probs. :D

Thanks for the replys.

Run out of petrol huh do you think im thick? :lol:

Norrie.

Mrs Soup
20-09-2004, 01:42 PM
Hi Norrie
From personal experience and varoius threads on here, this seems to be a common problem with the 600's especially if you do much town work and in winter when carb icing makes it worse.

When you start the bike don't try to lower the fast idle until it starts to cough as this seems to foul the plug for next time you start up. If it is a problem with yours, try changing to a different temperature plug or the NGK's quoted as standard for the monnie.

I carry a spare set of plugs as mine does this about every three months.

Hope I'm not teaching you to suck eggs......Happy monstering.

norrie
20-09-2004, 02:17 PM
Yeah I think you are right about fowling the plugs.
I have just fitted a new exhaust and my brother came down to see the exhaust and hear it.
Of course started the bike up put the choke in and revved it as you do to hear the exhaust and I think that must have fowled the plugs.
I will keep an eye on it.
It has NGK's in at the moment.

Norrie.

james007
06-10-2004, 04:45 PM
my poor Duke also failed to start this am, but eventually roared to life after sounding very sick electrically.....is this also the plugs? :mad: I was having pained visions of having to catch the tube to work - and on such a beautiful autumn morning!

Phoenix
07-10-2004, 06:54 PM
I don't get any of this at all :confused: :confused: and genuinely :confused:

A Yerbury
07-10-2004, 09:26 PM
jammy tart............

Phoenix
07-10-2004, 10:52 PM
jammy tart............
You'd expect nothing less from the 250 mph red rocket now would you ? This is a precision masterpiece we're talking about here and of course Max is perfection personified. In fact there isn't another motorcycle that can dare kiss his tyres. :D

A Yerbury
07-10-2004, 10:57 PM
max is free to pop round and look on in envy at the yerbury paint job!

Phoenix
07-10-2004, 11:07 PM
max is free to pop round and look on in envy at the yerbury paint job!

I'll ask him if he's free to bring me over, I daren't do it now as he tucked up sleeping peacefully but when I go and say Hello in the morning i'll ask ok ?

(yes i am that sad, i do talk to my bike ) :eek: ( maybe thats why he starts for me every time eh ? tis all the sweet nothings i whisper to him) :D

Dam this Bacardi :eek:

DesmoDog
06-12-2004, 09:41 AM
Hmmm similar problem for me yesterday - Admittedly I hadn't used the bike for the best part of a month but I had the optimate on and had filled the tank with wynns version of fst. Took her out the garage, left her running on the full choke for a good time and then off I went. There were a couple of pops from the exhaust when I tried to open her up, but she was running. Stopped for a coffee after only a mile or so and then off again. A mile up the road she died on me and couldn't restart. Turns over with much bag of spanners noises, but just wont go. So I have her plugged in again and I've sprayed liberal amounts of WD40 into the carbs. Hopefully she'll kick over tonight. In the mean time I'm off to halfords to pick up some plugs, do you rekon i should look at the FI relay too?

A Yerbury
06-12-2004, 09:51 AM
are you running well on one pot but not the other? I had this recently with a new battery fst etc turned out to be a plug (despite the mecahanics mantra -plugs dont go like that, never heard of it etc) plug was a week old?!

Rockhopper
07-12-2004, 01:08 PM
and I've sprayed liberal amounts of WD40 into the carbs.

What on earth for? Bradex (Easy Start) is the stuff to spray in the carbs.

A Yerbury
07-12-2004, 01:13 PM
wd does the same thing more or less, although you need to turn the engine over whilst spraying it in des, the idea being as the wd ignites the fuel gets sucked in, not leave it overnight?!

DesmoDog
19-01-2005, 09:44 AM
Yeah, sorry I forgot to mention that. I normally do spray and then play, I thought spraying a water dispersant might, er, get rid of any moisture. I'll get me coat.

DesmoDog
19-01-2005, 09:47 AM
started it up on Saturday. Horrible! i had to keep the starter pressed well after the engine began to turn otherwise it just died. Managed to get her running on the choke and left it for not less than 5 minutes, droppe dthe choke and had to rev like a bloody ninja rider in order to get away. Rode around the block and every time I dropped the revs to cange gear the thing cut out. I'm sure the idle is ok, although I have no rev counter so I'm guessing. Any suggestions?

A Yerbury
19-01-2005, 09:57 AM
its not a last legs battery is it?

MikeG
19-01-2005, 10:57 AM
Might be too obvious but:
I have to occasionally cut back the plug leads as they start to short across to the cylinder after a while, actually I have only done this about 3 times in three years, but hey! it worked for me!
Helpful?

DesmoDog
19-01-2005, 02:02 PM
MikeG nothing is obvious to me. Yerbs, absolutely not. I just had the battery replaced in the summer. I'm in a similar discussion elsewhere about problems with shorting - i'm wondering if this is the problem. TYerbs, you have an optimate don't you? When you've been out for a ride and you put it on charge does it show the orange battery low light?

Lost Again
26-01-2005, 03:35 PM
yep, I'm havin trouble wi mine startin at the minute as well. seems that the forward cylinders forever runnin rough. just ordered some dyna coils wi silicon leads and gonna stick some new plugs in wen they arrive. ne 1 else tried dyna coils? ne real difference?

james007
26-01-2005, 04:04 PM
I recharged my battery the other day and it has helped significantly....

A Yerbury
26-01-2005, 05:04 PM
nah I dont but in this weather a few nights at below freezing can lnock the bejesus out of batteries.