PDA

View Full Version : rear wheel aligning tips anyone ?

stef
18-09-2004, 08:10 AM
I am after some good tips to get that perfect rear whell alignement.
if i remember correctly, i was never too keen on the 'string' technique as described in Hayne's. So up to now, i have stuck with using the marking on the axes plates (that's what they are for after all).
is that the best way to do it ? has anybody played with laser pointers or other gismos ?
as a matter of fact, since the front sprocket is floating, how crucial is the rear wheel alignment ?

Scotty
18-09-2004, 08:28 AM
still quite important the alignment thers proberly a website somewhere explaining in detail

i used to get it about right with the markers and after that i counted the turns on each side for adjustment
but not quite convinced on that naymore as the right had ahjuster seems to be always loose even with thread lock on it

gary tompkins
18-09-2004, 11:34 AM
I use a length of wood about 7 feet long, and rest it against the rear tyre. After comparing the gaps on each side of the front tyre or disc, I adjust rear wheel to correct. It's a bit difficult with the belly pan fitted as it gets in the way, but worth the effort. Last time I relied on the marks on the swing arm, I later discovered the wheel was over 1/2" out of alignment with the front when checked with the straight edge :eek:

Starter Sprag
18-09-2004, 11:51 AM
I am after some good tips to get that perfect rear whell alignement.
if i remember correctly, i was never too keen on the 'string' technique as described in Hayne's. So up to now, i have stuck with using the marking on the axes plates (that's what they are for after all).
is that the best way to do it ? has anybody played with laser pointers or other gismos ?
as a matter of fact, since the front sprocket is floating, how crucial is the rear wheel alignment ?

You can't have both Front / Rear wheel alignment, as well as Chain alignment

You will have to choose which ?

Go for Chain ALignment

Remove 'plugs' from swing-arm pivot, and measure from the leading edge of the pivot to the front OR rear of the axle

Don't use the axle plates there crap

NBs
18-09-2004, 02:40 PM
Absolutely must go for chain alignment, cos if the sprockets and chain aren't properly aligned then the chain can easily climb over the sprockets and jam up the back wheel. And that's probably a bad thing!

Sprag's idea isn't a bad one with the swing arm pivot, but what I do is hold a straight edge on the side of the rear sprocket which runs forward along the chain. Twiddle adjusters until straight edge and chain are parallel, then do the usual for chain tension.

PaulS
18-09-2004, 03:51 PM
Whilst I'm not going to argue about the importance of chain alignment it's also pretty important to get the wheel alignment correct otherwise the bike will end up handling oddly. If you can't simultaneously get the wheel and chain alignment correct then I would suggest there's something wrong.

Ratchet
19-09-2004, 10:20 PM
try a steel rule, measuring from the edge of the axle nut to the end of the swing arm, gets you 0.5mm accuracy, or better depending on eyesight.

Will
20-09-2004, 12:49 PM
try a steel rule, measuring from the edge of the axle nut to the end of the swing arm, gets you 0.5mm accuracy, or better depending on eyesight.

One would have thought that this should be pretty accurate - but are both halves of the swinging arm really the same length? - I would not be at all surprised if they are different - just a thought. I suspect that the straight edge placed against the sprocket is the best method.

Will

Macca
20-09-2004, 12:57 PM
Is this after changing the wheel or to adjust the chain?

If it's only adjusting the chain then I just go by turns of the adjuster bolt.

1/4 turn on the left then, 1/4 turn on the right - keeps things nice and even.

Macca

Will
20-09-2004, 07:08 PM
Is this after changing the wheel or to adjust the chain?

If it's only adjusting the chain then I just go by turns of the adjuster bolt.

1/4 turn on the left then, 1/4 turn on the right - keeps things nice and even.

Macca

Both - Adjusting by the same number of turns is only OK if you know for certain that the alignment was actually correct at one time. It is always worth checking the alignment periodically as mis-alignment of the chain and sprockets will cause the chain and sprockets to wear more rapidly than normal - however I reckon that they would have to pretty badly aligned before any serious damage was done.

Will

gary tompkins
20-09-2004, 08:21 PM
Whilst I'm not going to argue about the importance of chain alignment it's also pretty important to get the wheel alignment correct otherwise the bike will end up handling oddly. If you can't simultaneously get the wheel and chain alignment correct then I would suggest there's something wrong.

This gets my vote too. If the wheels are true then it follows that the chain should be in line as well, if not something on the bike is bent :confused: The measuring down from the swing arm pivot will work too, but I find the straight edge along the tyre more accurate.

gary tompkins
20-09-2004, 08:26 PM
Absolutely must go for chain alignment, cos if the sprockets and chain aren't properly aligned then the chain can easily climb over the sprockets and jam up the back wheel. And that's probably a bad thing!

Sprag's idea isn't a bad one with the swing arm pivot, but what I do is hold a straight edge on the side of the rear sprocket which runs forward along the chain. Twiddle adjusters until straight edge and chain are parallel, then do the usual for chain tension.

Fair comment - but your 996 has an eccentric hub assembly, so the wheel will always stay in line as the chain is adjusted?

Ah - I guess you were just talking monsters? :p :D

NBs
20-09-2004, 09:36 PM
Fair comment - but your 996 has an eccentric hub assembly, so the wheel will always stay in line as the chain is adjusted?

Ah - I guess you were just talking monsters? :p :D

OK gary, well spotted (ya clever b'stard!) :p
Can't actually do my method on the 996 cos of the talon carrier. It's what I do for the 'blade cos that's got a nice big flat bit of srocket exposed.

norrie
24-09-2004, 12:02 PM
A good tip is to have the bike on a paddock stand.
Turn the wheel when adjusting the plates.
It should be properly alligned when you get the least noise.
Always check by other methods to ensure it is correct.

Norrie.