PDA

View Full Version : fitting a bike guard alarm on a monster 620ie

edy_the_italian
18-09-2004, 01:02 AM
Hello to the forum, it's my first thread :-)

I just got a BIke guard alarm from a friend who couldn't fit it on his 749 for some reason...and gave it tome.

it's from:
http://www.mstinternational.com/

The company says it's a "DIY alarm", infact there are only 3 wires to connect:
2 to the battery
1 to the ignition

It doesn't seem to be difficult but...can anyone help me out?

I have an objection anyway:
this alarm doesn't seem to have an internal battery. ok?
If I fit it under the seat, on the top of the mudguard, where usually the alarms are fitted, it wouldn't be so difficult for a "bastars" to rip the seat off (without moving the bike i think it's quite easy) cut a wire from the battery and...that's it the alarm won't send me any txt message...because it would have been disactivated!!!!!!

The guy i called to fit the alarm asked me about 70£ .
and he was thinking to fit the alarm into the Air filter....

Does it make any sense???

Please give me an advice, as i'm new to the bikes world.

thanks
edy

mick
18-09-2004, 04:58 AM
I know that the datatool alarm fits inder the tank..probably a more secure place if the alarm you have will fit ? It fits on the side of the battery box.

Mick

spacemonkey
18-09-2004, 09:15 AM
I have an Acumen 911 alarm which I installed myself and I put it in the toolkit space under the seat as you describe. It is held in place by the rubber strap which is already there on mine. I wired it into the fusebox rather than direct to the battery via a permanent live, then found an ignition live too. Then wired into the indicators and job done. Works very well. I have never had anyproblems with people trying to sabotage it, but I use two pretty hefty locks to secure it to railings and more importantly, a non descript cover so as not to draw attention to it. The best thing to fit is a paging device. Acumen do a universal device which you could add to yours for £99. Remember, an alarm is only for YOU to hear and react to. Nobody else will give a damn, especially in London, so get a bloody big lock or two and secure it to something solid, then cover it. If you lock the cover over it like I do, then just intefering with the cover should set it off before they get near the bike. I wrap one long lock around the headstock over the cover and on the railings and one around the wheel to railings, then tie the cover on at the back. Works for me, and it means idiots can't push the bike over either.

NattyBoy
18-09-2004, 09:25 AM
Sounds a bit lame to me mate..your better of getting something pukka like a datatool or spyball.

If you want to go this route I have a new genuine ducati monster alarm (manufactured by spyball - maximum insurance discount)..these are model specific to the injected monsters and just plug straight into your wiring loom and they have all the correct mounting brackets..if your interested send me a pm...ill do you a nice little N.I.T deal.. :D

http://ee.domaindlx.com/nattyboy/Alarm%20Monster.jpg

Cheers
Nat

bod
18-09-2004, 11:17 AM
I agree with the above sounds a bit naff to me also :rolleyes: I work as a sparky on cars and if it's only got 3 wires I can't see doing any of the things it says about being able to text the alarm from your phone to do other options (flash indicators etc)
Basicaly it looks like a movment dectector that just tells you when the bike is knocked,no immobilser or alarm.
Bite the bullet and get something like a datatool veto evo,AND make sure it's properly installed(loose wires causing the immobilser to arm arn't nice when going round corners) :eek:

spacemonkey
19-09-2004, 06:53 PM
Yeah, cos these posh alarms that self arm themselves when you fill up with petrol or on the ferry are terrific, and will always stop a thief! As I have always said an alarm is only for YOU to respond to, so why pay £300 for something that £80 will do? I have had my bike in Central London for 3 years with only that alarm and I still have it. Probably as I always use a good lock. An alarm won't stop thieves. Ok, an immobiliser could be an idea, but haven't people posted about unreliable immobilisers before? Anyway, he said he has already been GIVEN the alarm so why would he want to buy a £300 special? I'm sure that if I wanted a good 'un I would buy Nat's one, if I needed one, but you can't beat a bloody good lock and something solid next to it!

edy_the_italian
20-09-2004, 12:38 AM
thanks guys for the advices....
I already lock my bike, that "sleep" on the street overnight....
with 3 locks:
-one through the frame under the tank using an "abus city chain" very long.This one goes to a high bar.
-one other chain very chunky goes through the rear wheel to the lamp post
-finally the abus disk lock 37 (the yellow and black) that i usually put into the chain sprocket
- i use a cover in tyvek as well

even if i have seen on the net
http://www.bikesecure.co.uk/pages/ride_framed.html
that also a chain like Almax can be cutted ( i don't have the Ride magazine so i don't know how they have done the job)...and this really scared me...

Anyway there's no available garage in my area so i just have to pray...

I think i'm going to DON'T fit that "bike guard" alarm on my bike, I even heard of battery failure and bad function of the electric system and i'm a bit aware of alarms in general now.....

BUT Tonight (5 minutes ago...), on the rail where i usually park, there was a crap (but brand new ) bicycle with a u-lock.
I've parked (a couple of hours earlier) "ON" this bike to reach the rail....(he could have gone out easily anyway..)

....i found my mirror broken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..

i've fitted it back, but it's still a bit funny...
...and i'm thinking..If I have had an alarm....
probably it doesn't stop a "good" thief but perhaps works with this wankers..
I'm sad and confused...and
I WANT A GARAGE!!!!!!!
:-(
goodnight
edy

spacemonkey
20-09-2004, 01:28 PM
That's exactly why you do want an alarm, so that you could have heard it and gone outside. I would advise getting it fitted properly if you are not sure, but it isn't that difficult.