PDA

View Full Version : Vibes Man

Macca
13-09-2004, 11:29 AM
Hello All,

Since installing my DP Termi slip-on's I'm getting more vibes than normal through the footpegs.

Is this normal when you have termi's fitted or have I bodged ths install?

Cheers

Macca

Pedro
13-09-2004, 12:16 PM
The more vibes thing is probably caused by different resonance frequencies rather than an increase in general vibration, so you just probably notice it more with the new pipes.

Nothing to worry about by the sounds of it.

Ped

Albie
13-09-2004, 12:31 PM
Have you got rubber washers on hangers ?

Coincidently I took off my hi-level Sils for a quiet weekend and put on standard cans and the vibrations i got through the pegs were horrible. :eek: Am going back to Sils. :D

Macca
13-09-2004, 12:36 PM
I've got the rubber washers on the hangers - maybe I just need to torque the bolt up some more?

Albie
13-09-2004, 12:55 PM
Maybe. Perhaps Pedro's right he usually is. It may just be the frequencys..You will get used it Im sure. If not try some different washers maybe thicker or different rubber/plastic. Or swap for my sils :rolleyes:

Pedro
13-09-2004, 04:31 PM
My Leo's seemed to make not more vibes, just different.

Ped

Macca
13-09-2004, 08:16 PM
Cheers Lads -

Armed with the knowlage that things were as they should be - I thrashed the pants of my monnie on the way home and found myself giggling like a school girl at all the noise she was making :burnout:

It was bloody windy mind :mad:

Macca

Pedro
13-09-2004, 10:32 PM
Macca

just had another thought - the new cans are much lighter than stock yeah? Well, given that this is the case, they will have a different natural resonance frequency to the stock pipes hence the differnt vibes you can feel. To show what I mean, get a 12 inch ruler and hold the first couple on inches on a desk and twang the end. Now do the same but add a big lump of blutack or similar to the free end. You'll see the heavy one oscilates slower than the lighter one - different natural frequencies. QED!!!

HTH

Ped

Macca
13-09-2004, 10:46 PM
Sounds about right, I was just worried that I might have shagged something - My usual approach is to hit it and if it still doesn't work hit it harder :D

Pedro
13-09-2004, 11:08 PM
The rubber mounts are there to stop bolts and stuff fatiguing and snapping so a little "wobble" is a good thing!

Just sit back and enjoy the whole experience - loud cans are great!

I SAID LOUD CANS ARE GREAT!!!!

:D

Ped

Macca
13-09-2004, 11:14 PM
Pardon? Did you asy something?

BoozyBOB
13-09-2004, 11:46 PM
maybee you have put too much torque on the hangers...like (god) Pedro said you need a bit off wobble

rjc
14-09-2004, 02:54 PM
Macca,

Have you sorted out the fuelling since changing the pipes? If not that could well be all that's wrong.

Richard

Macca
14-09-2004, 04:14 PM
I've not messed around with the fueling as yet - I was under the impression that it wasn't required if you just had slip-ons without a new filter.