PDA

View Full Version : Bloody awful metallic knock at idle

DesmoDog
10-09-2004, 03:48 PM
Ok, I know this is going to be bad. :mad:

When I leave the bike to warm up I can here a metallic knocking sound (pinking?). Its about 2 times a second, Its bloody worrying. Any suggestions? :confused: :eek: :confused:

A Yerbury
10-09-2004, 03:53 PM
almost like a bell sound? Ive always had that on mine.................help!! btw these ar mh mirrors are these the ones? if so poss a bit long for my tastes

DesmoDog
10-09-2004, 04:01 PM
Yerbs - very much like a bell. Anyone else get the same? As for the mirrors, yes. Oh well.

stef
10-09-2004, 05:54 PM
yep, pretty much the same. i posted a thread a couple of month back 'engine tapping' relating to that problem. check it out, you may find your answer amongst the replies.
mine is an m600 from 95.

DesmoDog
10-09-2004, 06:23 PM
Similar year, similar "characteristic" then

spacemonkey
10-09-2004, 07:36 PM
I think the Bell Ringing type noise could be clutch related, as mine did it before a new clutch materialised on my bike. However, my bike developed an expensive sounding tapping noise (just like a dodgy tappet) from the rear cylinder head. Turned out to be a shagged woodruff key that locates in the camshaft to lock it to the cambelt pulley. In the process of self destruction it took the camshaft and pulley with it. I have been waiting since June for the necessary spare parts from the lovely Bologna factory. Isn't summer fun, without a bike?

stef
10-09-2004, 08:01 PM
i am not sure about the clutch, from what i gathered, we dont have the dry clutch, which is prone to be noisy... how long did your engine last before you had to strip it ? I've had the tapping noise for as long as i've had the bike (i.e. 1500miles)

cerebus
10-09-2004, 09:32 PM
I noticed a metallic ringing from my M600 the other day.....

...turned out to be the right hand pillion peg vibrating!

Might be worth checking.

Cerebus the jittery

spacemonkey
10-09-2004, 09:54 PM
My steed has done 32k from memory, but I haven't seen it for so long, I can't remember what shade of dirty it is now.

Rockhopper
11-09-2004, 08:32 AM
Easy to see if its the clutch, just pull the lever in and see if it goes away.

gary tompkins
12-09-2004, 05:08 PM
Another common problem is the flywheel nut coming loose, which gives a knocking noise at tickover and will trash the crankshaft :eek:

berto
15-09-2004, 03:59 PM
:o Piston slap from a partial seizure....sory don't shoot the messenger :lol:

A Yerbury
15-09-2004, 04:05 PM
only if the messanger is grinning.

DesmoDog
15-09-2004, 04:09 PM
Bloody Hell!!!! Space, Berto and Garry, cheers - now I feel sick!!

Ok so cerebus lets discount the obvious first - My footpeg was vibrating too, funnily enough on the same side, but I'd never counted that as it was a different sound - it was pretty easy to trace. I haven't tried the clutch, but tis true - I don't notice it once I'm away.

The noise seems to coencide (sp) with the throb of the engine. Oh bugger.

nik_the_brief
15-09-2004, 04:12 PM
It's just Ducati Monster 'character'.

Got mine a year and a half ago and was worried about the noise then, sounds very like the one you describe anyway, 18 months and 12,000 miles later it's still doing it so I put it down to that. :D

DesmoDog
15-09-2004, 04:26 PM
Groan! I think I'll wait for the winter break down I can have it looked over when it's being painted.

A Yerbury
15-09-2004, 09:13 PM
I really shouldnt worry chum as most pre 98 600 s do it, tis probably to do with the early pistons being forged not cast (just read about it and it would make sense), more noisy when cold/not warmed up in my case. sils help but thankfully no dry clutch clanky noises that some pervs seem to enjoy!
Alex

DesmoDog
16-09-2004, 10:12 AM
But I'm sure mines a 98! I just read in the book of lies that the crank shaft could be bent due to it being dropped on its side. Well you know I told you that the crank cover was grazed to the point of being sheared (even though the bike was claimed to never have been dropped - it's amazing what you don't see when you really want something!)? Well now I'm worried that it might be that. Mind you, the noise does go once warm. Bit like my good lady :lol:

Massey
16-09-2004, 08:54 PM
Desmo,

The sound you describe sounds just like my bike and I hate it. Its bell like from the back pot until the bike is warm when it dissapears. Once my bike is warm I've noticed that its no more more mechanical sounding than other M600's that I have heard and I was informed that the M600 is prone to piston slap on the back pot because of the type of pistons used. I honestly don't know if this is fact or fiction but piston slap is always worse when cold and this is the theory I'm currently sold on.

I've done loads of hard miles on my bike now and it is no worse than from they day that I bought it. All I have to do now is to find someone who understands that its pretty normal to sound like that when cold, or someone who is stone deaf like me so I can sell it.

Its been a bit of a shame as its sort of put me off owning another Monster and in hindsight I should have bought a M750 as its a much better engine. I think that way I would have been a more satisfied punter.

If you do find a Doctor who has experience of this condition and knows how to sort it, give me a shout and I might give the Monster one more go next Summer.

Cheers and good luck,

Massey.

A Yerbury
16-09-2004, 08:57 PM
according to moto-one fella a piston swap cures it, not the cheapest route but bar an engine swap possibly the only one, taking the cans off completely should hide the "bells"!

DesmoDog
17-09-2004, 09:11 AM
Pipped at the post by Mr. Yerbury - Massey, it would be well worth your time reading the thread about "are u (ahem) interested in tuning". It tells you about the earlier M600 and the piston slap. Its due to the earlier pistons being cast rather than machined. As yerbs points out, you can replace them with a newer set, but that's not going to be cheap. As for selling, well the best place to sell is here, they'll get lots of advice and everyone will tell them it's normal. Nasty, but normal.

berto
18-09-2004, 07:27 PM
:confused: piston swap would surely require re-bore to be effective???Anyway just wait till dark and throw it in the canal....ffllarpppp>>>

A Yerbury
18-09-2004, 10:18 PM
fllllarrrppp. ignore the limp wristed "steering damper" user.....

gary tompkins
18-09-2004, 11:23 PM
:confused: piston swap would surely require re-bore to be effective???Anyway just wait till dark and throw it in the canal....ffllarpppp>>>

The monster uses plated cylinders, similar to the Nikasil coating used on a lot of 2 stroke engines which cannot be re-bored. If you damage a piston/cylinder it usually means replacing them as a set, although some engineers offer a replating service.

berto
19-09-2004, 03:51 PM
:D Really,even those old 600 foreskin pullers??? ;)

gary tompkins
19-09-2004, 05:00 PM
Yup - afraid so :)