PDA

View Full Version : Tailchop S4 - the awakening...

DevilBoy
07-09-2004, 06:06 PM
Hello all

Im gonna operate on my s4 next weekend, to remove the cup holder on the arse.
I need some advice, specific to the S4 - if its different from other bikes.

Ive received instructions in the past, which involved making brackets and mechano set, etc...
This is the way I do not want to do it!

So far - i know i have to remove all the crap on the back (lights, tray etc...), then hacksaw the frame that sticks out of the back, about an inch behind the seat lock (an inch towards the end of the poles, not towards the bike).

Now I want someone to tell me where i can get a specifically made bracket to hold a small number plate, and some aftermarket (motrax) indicators.

i am really crap at anything too hands on - hence the ready-made solution.

I realize people ask this at least once a week - but im a bit stoopid like that... i need reminding.

Happy typing!
:twisted:

peteS4
07-09-2004, 08:22 PM
i got an led foxtail rear light for £40..... a set of black tinycators for £30........ and cut and bent a set of feeler gauges to suit..........used .70 and .80 i think !!!!!!! the others were just too thin........... took about 2 hours start to finish and up to the point where i was knocked off, people said it looked good.............. but i like to be hands on.............. good luck

Paranoid Dave
07-09-2004, 08:34 PM
i think you'll find it called the

'choperation ©'

lets get it right now shall we ;)

JMo
07-09-2004, 08:35 PM
DB me ol' fruit - take a look at the pic, and I'll email you the instructions...

xxx

SazzaG
07-09-2004, 08:38 PM
Those have to be the biggest chicken strips I've ever seen.

JMo
07-09-2004, 08:41 PM
That's because it's a brand new tyre...

xxx

(watch it you!)

SazzaG
07-09-2004, 08:44 PM
That's because it's a brand new tyre...

A likely story! Wondered what the writing down the middle was. Thought you might have found somewhere to put those Hornet stickers.

Back to the thread! peteS4, Jen's tail chops are high class (Dixxie being her second patient). Did she add in the bits where you should swear?

Saz

peteS4
07-09-2004, 08:50 PM
think you got the wrong person sazz.. i dont need help chopping................. in fact if you ask mad hatter, my arse is very cute indeed............... mine was running with high level carbon termis so looked really good............. tinycators were hiden under rear seat cowl too

SazzaG
07-09-2004, 08:52 PM
Oops, didn't scroll up far enough to see who started the thread!

Your arse sounds lovely. Long live the tail chop club!

Saz

peteS4
07-09-2004, 08:55 PM
and i will chop again and again,................ i love the look....... but i have plans for my next baby.................. i have a certain seat unit i want to fit that i havent seen done before,.............. not on a monnie anyway......... and needs a chop to work............... maybe even a whole new rear subframe

Paranoid Dave
07-09-2004, 09:02 PM
sooo old hat dear, been there done that ;) :lol:

CK & AK
07-09-2004, 09:06 PM
wonder which seat unit then Pete?
Have seen so far:
MV original & MV copies
916/996/998 originals & copy types too
DP rear pod cowl
also a couple of other ones that didnt work for me
subframes also that have been removed, or radically chopped

c'mon - you can tell us, we wont tell anyone else..... :rolleyes:

C :)

Paranoid Dave
07-09-2004, 09:17 PM
the old kwak Z ??
Mille ??

I know you want one of those comfy ones with coloured piping and Monster embroided into it, like all the local bandit owners seem to have. Maybe a harley style with tassles.

Best choice for me would be Harley flat tracker tail, now that would look good on a monster.

Are we getting warm pete?

DevilBoy
07-09-2004, 09:29 PM
Why is it that whenever the serios topic of the "Choperation"tm comes up, everyone starts puffin thier chests out and beatin them like silver backs?

men...

ang on, i'm one of them!

Anyway - so, answer still needed. ill tell you what - can anyone who has pictures of thier tails - post op - post them below, and ill see which one i want to adorn by babies bum, and ask how you did yours!

the perfect opportunity to get your testosterone glands buzzing!

Let the games begin!

peteS4
07-09-2004, 09:33 PM
i already told you how i did mine...... i told you the parts i bought.......... the bits of metal i found on the garage floor to complete the job and how long it took......... i cant show you a pic cos i dont have a digi cam............... but if you just took a little look through the mods section........ you will see all the pics you want............. find all the advice you need............... in fact................ THE ANSWER YOU ARE LOOKING FOR..................... now yes we may like to beat our chest's................. but lazy we're not :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

DevilBoy
07-09-2004, 09:35 PM
ooooooohhh, get him!

(i am holding my handbag at chin height at the moment)

Ok - ill look myself then shall I?

:(

peteS4
07-09-2004, 09:38 PM
sorry fella but theres lots of info in there.. all you could want.............. theres no point in asking everyone to re-post pics and stuff when its there already.................. and i mean EVERYTHING................ all the different types of chop, half chop.............. led or standard light........ carbon rear ends,.............. ends with built in indicators................ also............. look in the link at the top.............. ducatisuite has a blow by blow page on how to do it........... complete with pics................

DevilBoy
07-09-2004, 09:40 PM
Link at the top?

I aint seeing it man... wheres me glasses?

better put me handbag down first!

peteS4
07-09-2004, 09:40 PM
in fact................ just for you..................... and only if you drop the hand bag.............. and trust me you should............... not known as the rabid dog for nothing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! http://www.ducatisuite.com/tailchop.html

peteS4
07-09-2004, 09:42 PM
i dont agree with how he did the indicators....... not many do i think.............. but thats the part thats down to choice........... the main op is shown here though

DevilBoy
07-09-2004, 09:44 PM
Ah ha!

excellent, cheers Pete!

Now, back to my original question. (Dont maul me pete). Is there any sort of bracket or something that will hold the number plate and small indicators on?

I dont wanna make my own - im crap at creating things.

Cheers/Sorry

Scotty
07-09-2004, 09:45 PM
think you got the wrong person sazz.. i dont need help chopping................. in fact if you ask mad hatter, my arse is very cute indeed............... mine was running with high level carbon termis so looked really good............. tinycators were hiden under rear seat cowl too

you got a picture of these hidden indicators im sure this is where they was ment to live under the seat cowel out of site

no camra uh nee mind doh

peteS4
07-09-2004, 09:46 PM
look in the mods section.............. we all have our own way of doing it............. i'm sure in one of the threads theres something about stuart at spareshack doing something to hold it all together after a chop but could be wrong................ get ya self a cuppa and have a nice look through anything about tail chops

Paranoid Dave
07-09-2004, 09:49 PM
that ducatisuite bloke, have you seen his helmet?

errrm, i mean, the hard one he uses when he's riding....

I forgot all about it, nearly fell off my seat laughing the first time i saw it. :lol:

peteS4
07-09-2004, 09:50 PM
i'll tell you what i'll do........... chappers has a digi cam and is coming over to mine for coffee (nudge nudge wink wink) on thursday........... mines in my garage waiting for the insurance to write it off........ but the rear end is spotless............... i'll take loads of pics.............. seat off......... seat on.............. brackets i made.............. led rear light and tinycators hiden under seat cowl then................ will post that night................ gives me an excuse to get her into my bedroom asi will claim i dont know how to do it !!!!!!!!!!! hehehe

DevilBoy
07-09-2004, 09:52 PM
Sneaky pete, very Sneaky.

make sure to log off any suss sites before she visits the bedroom though!!

You dont have to go to all that trouble though - I know roughly what to do... hacksaw here - file there, etc...

i just wanna see some finished products, and decide what I want mine to look like!

Im going through the posts now - so ill see what I find out there...

Scotty
07-09-2004, 09:54 PM
we only want bike pics least you get carried away photographing ;)

peteS4
07-09-2004, 10:02 PM
i have no idea what your talking about.............. my pc is a no filth zone.....................but going back to the pics......... its no problem mate................ there are sooooo many types of indicator on the market its hard to chose,.............. a few of us have gone for the tinycator, its by motrax........... for some reason their site isnt working at moment but all good bike shops stock them.............they really do look the biz

Paranoid Dave
07-09-2004, 10:02 PM
i'll tell you what i'll do........... chappers has a digi cam and is coming over to mine for coffee (nudge nudge wink wink) on thursday........... mines in my garage waiting for the insurance to write it off........ but the rear end is spotless............... i'll take loads of pics.............. seat off......... seat on.............. brackets i made.............. led rear light and tinycators hiden under seat cowl then................ will post that night................ gives me an excuse to get her into my bedroom asi will claim i dont know how to do it !!!!!!!!!!! hehehe

It's a good jon your lady don't read this forum or your games up innit ;)

I would post a pic of kylie but I fear I may have cut a bit much. I have a very old dusty photo of the chop though when it was done, but different frame to the S4.

peteS4
07-09-2004, 10:05 PM
she does read this forum............... my girlie is chappers.............. always puts the jokes on here...............its gona be fun when she reads this............. maybe i will be posting the pics alone after all :(

JMo
07-09-2004, 10:18 PM
l theres something about stuart at spareshack doing something to hold it all together after a chop but could be wrong...

You're not, but it is - Collie got one and it doesn't fit properly without a bit (alot) of filing - and all it does is hold the numberplate - you'd still need one of those 'arseend' things that Motrax do if you want to mount the indicators behind the numberplate, and then they would get in the way of you hi-level pipes DB...

Also, the Ducati-suite thing is only applicable to the older U-frame suspension Monsters, not the post '01 and S4 frames...

You need the JMo guv...

I'll email it to you...

xxx

DevilBoy
07-09-2004, 10:19 PM
Well, Ive looked through all the posts I can stomach, and I havent found a chop that I really really like!

And I havent found an S4 with a chop! - or maybe my eyes are going funny?

I dunno... Woe is me.

ill see what JMO has to offer... then get back to y'all.

:)

JMo
07-09-2004, 10:27 PM
One thing Stu does do that you might like is a replacement rear lamp lens, that has LED indicators built into the ends - ie. the centre section is red LEDs for brake/tail, the area around the screw holes at each end are orange - so you don't need seperate indicators at all if you like - and that's two less brackets you'll have to make...

xxx

DevilBoy
07-09-2004, 10:31 PM
Yeah - ive seen that one... another thing I aint too sure about!

I want people to see me indicating - crashing aint to nice...

Cheers for the instructions - ive printed em out, and i'll read them over tomorrow.

Ill search around and post again when I make my mind up what I want - but for now - Cheers all!

JMo
07-09-2004, 10:33 PM
S4 frame is the same as mine, and Sazza's and Rich's and Banshee's.... (need I go on?!)

More pix below - the principle is the same for all the post '01 bikes...

xxx

peteS4
07-09-2004, 11:26 PM
my bike is an o2 s4 so you can see how it looks when i sort out the pics on thursday

peteS4
07-09-2004, 11:30 PM
if moneys not a prob... try something like this http://www.carbonworld.de/oscommerce/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_6&products_id=539

A Yerbury
08-09-2004, 08:01 AM
well DB the chop is the chop is the chop. you just chop. wodeva you use to mount the indys and plate is entirely up to you as there are myriad ways of achieving the same ish results. cut the darn thing of first then worry about the fiddly bits! I used cheapskate bendy aluminium with some flush motrax lights (orange never white) stuck on the rear light. May change this as the rest of the bike has improved over the year the bent metal is looking a bit "shonky" and needs to catch up.
Alex.

Chappers
08-09-2004, 09:44 AM
It's a good job your lady don't read this forum or your games up innit ;)

Guess what...games up! :p

steviej
08-09-2004, 09:59 AM
CHOP CHOP CHOP

Arnie
08-09-2004, 03:39 PM
Why not - and I'm not voluntering :lol: Put all the various versions of the tail chop into the FAQ thread. I know there is one in there already but every one seems to go about this a different way. At least then it will save us having this discussion over and over.

P.S JMO that is a mighty fine tail (chop) I wouldn't mind the "how to" as well

Paranoid Dave
08-09-2004, 05:47 PM
she does read this forum............... my girlie is chappers.............. always puts the jokes on here...............its gona be fun when she reads this............. maybe i will be posting the pics alone after all :(

There may be a ;) icon but there's not a 'I'm taking the ****' icon. I knew that, it's why i posted it. :rolleyes: I know it's not like me to take the **** so maybe that's why you got confused. 'insert **** taking smilie here' :D