PDA

View Full Version : S4R insurance

queen_gpants
04-09-2004, 05:39 PM
As I am now seriously thinking about upgrading the 888 & M900 to an S4R I thought I'd get some insurance quotes.

My current policy has both bikes on and finishes next month and I'll have 5 years NCB so I thought insuring an S4R would be easy....would it heck! :eek:

Tried various online insurance companies, the ones who will give you a quote there and then, waded my way through pages of questions about my status, occupation etc - all very amusing as no one ever seems to have heard of an inventory clerk, I've now promoted myself to a surveyor! :lol:

Finally get the bit asking about what bike am I buying and do any of these companies list the S4R...no!

Some ask you to type in the bike model then later ask you to confirm what model it is from a drop down list, every bloody ducati under the sun except the one I want to insure! :confused:

So I gave up and rang my own insurance company who tell me they can insure the bike for £30 until my current policy expires but cannot give me a quote for the S4R at this moment in time....now I'm confused and getting very pissed off!

The guy says he'll ring my insurance company back and try and get a quote from them, yeah great thanks for the effort mate!

Two hours later I finally get a call back and am quoted £450 f/c with limited mileage and £500 excess.

Not bad I thought but I feel like I've been round the houses today.

Just thought I'd share this as it seems very strange that the S4R has been available since April 2003 but the insurance companies ddon't recognise it!

CK & AK
04-09-2004, 07:01 PM
Celeste - give Carole Nash a call - I had a quote from them in Late Dec 03 for the S4R & also the M1000sie - that I have got.
Ducati Insurance, Insuremyducati.com & Wicked Quotes all quoted too.
There was about £40 difference between the bikes as I recall - as they are a group apart.

My renewal has just been haggled about today, and is costing me FC = £240, £300 excess (up by £100 from last year), 4 yrs no claims, unlimited mileage, commuting, legal bits, full breakdown - inc Europe, home start etc...

Unless I find a company that will beat that, I'll go ahead next week - but must have all the 'extras' included.....

Good Luck,

CK

queen_gpants
05-09-2004, 09:14 AM
Thanks Charlotte

I will try Carole Nash, haven't used them since I started riding Dukes as they wouldn't insure me on the 888 even though they had insured me with 2 yrs ncb on a GSXR600 with full race system etc! :confused:

I just wonder how these insurance companies work as you either can't get a quote or the premiums are ridiculous, I got quoted £875 f/c on a website yesterday with £750 excess!!

I've had one accident, non fault and settled, clean licence, bike garaged etc etc

I'm sure I can beat the £450 quoted by Premium Choice but it means ringing around which I hate doing. Plus they are happy to insure bikes with lots of modifications which of course most companies won't do.

PaulS
05-09-2004, 10:50 AM
I find this insurance business bizarre too. Every year I get about ten quotes that vary by about £500 but the vast majority of them are for insurance from NU but through different brokers or front organisations. I started with (and stayed with) Ducati Insurance. Even though the people that front it have changed (originally Tangent down in Devon who I think got bought out by Ramasis) to Ramasis (who also own Wicked) it has remained the cheapest for me and is still NU. As they deal with a lot of Ducatis they expect you to have Termis and extra carbon, etc... and don't seem to load the premiums because of it.

S4R Dude
06-09-2004, 09:40 PM
Hi, try Sheraton Brokers on 01329 833250 (Hampshire), i was more than surprised at their price and i suspect you might be too.

Best of luck.

peteS4
07-09-2004, 12:15 AM
the problem i found with the s4r is it's the same group as the new m1000 but no one has the s4r on the books............ ask them for a quote on a m1000 but also tell them what the bike is............... was the only way i found to get a quote

slob
07-09-2004, 12:14 PM
celeste,
give ducati insurance a bell, surely they should know what an s4r is. they quoted me 25% lower that carole nash who i'd been with for many years.
they're on 08704 10 60 60.
also rss have just become a broker and where 10% cheaper than carole nash,
they're on 0870 190 00 33

Bobble
07-09-2004, 02:51 PM
I tred Ducati insurance on Sat for a quote on my S4r and Africa Twin, they quoted £560. for both. Carol Nash (renewel) £413. I'm 40, no convictions,points etc in past 5 years (go back 6 years though..... :o ) It just goes to show how important it is to phone around :lol:

queen_gpants
08-09-2004, 08:22 AM
So far I've had the following quotes:

Biketeam £412 f/c with £400 excess and protected NCB etc

Premium Choice (my current broker) £450 with £500 excess, limited mileage 3k a year, no parking in London, parking bays etc, I wouldn't anyway!

Ducati Insurance £560 with £350 excess

Norwich Union (online quote) £896! I think I'll be giving them the finger!

It does help to shop around but I hate phoning brokers, you have to listen to that poncey music while they keep you on hold, then they disconnect you at least twice! Then all the boring, droll questions from some spotty faced oik who doesnt know the first thing about motorbikes!

I will persevere though :rolleyes:

berto
12-09-2004, 04:53 PM
:cool: Try Ducati Insurance 08704 106060 ask for Luke(don't bother with anyone else if he isnt there call back)and tell him Robert from DucatiGlasgow recommended him... :burnout: