PDA

View Full Version : Temperature light

Runningman
02-09-2004, 01:31 PM
Hi all
This might seem silly to the really technical amongst you but
the temperature warning light came up and stayed on for the last few minutes of my journey in this morning on the S4.

Do I simply top up with water or does my local dealer need to be involved?

Any advice gratefully received; I've got to get home on it tonight.
r

PaulS
02-09-2004, 01:46 PM
I wouldn't top up the water level unless it's below the "MIN" mark with the bike vertical and the engine cold. Does the engine seem very hot and are both fans on and staying on? What temperature is the LCD readout showing? My experience of Ducati (oil pressure) warning lights suggests it's more likely to be an electrical problem causing the light to come on than a "real" problem but you can't be too careful. Haven't you recently had the engine re-built?

Runningman
02-09-2004, 04:52 PM
Thanks Paul
Yes, it has just had extensive work carried out on the engine,
I checked the coolant level and its right up at the radiator cap; the bike was stone cold and upright.

I've spoken with someone at... whisper it... Daytona, and they said it may be the temperature sensors playing up.

The bike appears to be behaving itself and I take your point about the lights, my M750 used to light up like a christmas tree some nights.

I'll monitor it it on the way home.
Thanks for your help

Pedro
02-09-2004, 09:39 PM
It may be as simple as an airlock in the coolant system. Usedto happen toone ofmy old carsand could be cured by squeezing one of the lower rubber pipes quickly. Could be worth a try???

Ped

Runningman
03-09-2004, 01:53 PM
Thanks fellas
To those of you who could'nt sleep last night, I got home without seeing the temp light again. I'm putting it down to sitting too long in traffic on Regent St.

Thanks for the advice.
r

PaulS
03-09-2004, 02:44 PM
Yes, did have a restless night wondering if you were stranded in some desolate part of town! Seriously, you mentioned checking the coolant level by taking the cap off of the radiator. You know you should be looking at the plastic expansion bottle between the two cylinders don't you? It has MAX and MIN marks and should be checked cold.