PDA

View Full Version : Gritty throttle

DevilBoy
01-09-2004, 09:54 PM
hello all

you may or may not be aware that recently i came off my s4 at about 30, and scratched the hell out of it!

The right handlebar was removed completely, and since getting some lovely new clip-ons, ive had some concerns about the throttle...

Firstly, I put all the bits back on, and did up all the bolts, and when i wind the throttle, it is really gritty, and not at all smooth like it used to be!

Secondly, on the other side, the choke leaver, and the indicators, seem to be alot stiffer than they used to be!

Anyone got any ideas - mainly about the first one...

Can i buy a new throttle assembly and cable?

Cheers
:bunny: :twisted:

A Yerbury
01-09-2004, 10:24 PM
undo the housing and blast wd down each cable to clean. then pour/inject some light oil down there (I used bicycle chain oil) all's now very smooth and snappy. simple to do but a bit of a fiddle getting the throttle housing all back together (20 minutes all in so not too bad)

DevilBoy
01-09-2004, 10:26 PM
righteyo - ill try that on the weekend...

ill get back to you.

Cheers A!

Pedro
01-09-2004, 10:35 PM
It is possible to reassemble the throttle housing incorrectly and while it still works it feels gritty. When I fitted new cables, I fitted the lower end first and could get them to run right in the twist grip as there wasn't enough slack to reassemble correctly. Had to release the lower end and start again. It was a right pain and took me about an hour to figure out.....

Where the cables enter the housing there is a small white plastic guide - it was this that I couldn't get the cables to run over without enough slack.

HTH

Ped

stef
02-09-2004, 08:10 AM
i did mine a couple of weeks back and suffered the same headache as pedro. as a result, the closing cable was twisted and a few threads broke... that's 18 pounds sir !

A Yerbury
02-09-2004, 09:10 AM
you should get enough slack through the adjusters? I think I undid mine first then screwed em back in.

DesmoDog
02-09-2004, 10:54 AM
Stef, better to find out that way than the way I did on my last monnie - overtaking a tipper truck on a hill, wahhey. Well that's not exactly what I said at the time. I think it might have been "mummy"!

DevilBoy
07-09-2004, 11:39 AM
Another look has shown another problem...
the throttle doesnt seem to be springing back into position, if you know what i mean.
It could be classed as cruise control, or death on a stick...

Anyone know what that could be?

Cheers
:twisted:

Bodybag
20-05-2006, 09:58 AM
How did you get this throttle problem sorted out cos I have exactly the same problem with mine.

Phil

Scotty
20-05-2006, 10:22 AM
well after a trip through gravel grass n mud ive just 'fixed' the same problem
its complicated , what ya have to do is take it apart and clean it , and the lube it up again

ok from a few years of fetteling pushbikes you want to run a light oil town the throttel cable and greese the twist grip assembly also id give the spring etc a good dowse of w4d0 or equilivent , and your supposed to have 2 degrees of free play anyway

1001 posts eh does that somehow qualify me for the less than real life click ?

uh the spring im on about on the other end of the cable butterfly opener mech bit thing that once was carbs :freak:

Bodybag
20-05-2006, 02:41 PM
More easy to fix than I thought. It was the bar end weight that was causing my woes. It was a bit loose a few weeks ago so I'd tightened it up. Turns out that it was squeezing on the throttle grip just a bit too much. Stuck a washer in behind it and its all smooth and free again. :mand:

McMONSTRO
20-05-2006, 05:29 PM
Hey Bodybag! Had exactally the same happen on my S4, and did exactally the same fix!

McM

nick40
20-05-2006, 07:49 PM
Mate

If your throttle aint snapping shut I will bet a penny to a pound of sh1t that your cables aint running properly throught the white plastic guide that pedro mentioned, I had that problem with mine and it was one of the reasons i contemplated putting a match to my bike last week, however, if you fiddle with it, cables that is, then it should be ok I messed about with mine for an hour before the wife came home and eventually got it right.

A bit finbar saunders but its hard to explain Fnar Fnar

DevilBoy
22-05-2006, 10:07 AM
I cant remember how i got mine sorted now!
I was on allsorts of painkillers when i was fixing it back up.
And like magic, out of the other end came a scratched up working replica of my once beautifull shiney monster.

I aint too mechanically minded like, so it can't have been that hard a job!

CK & AK
22-05-2006, 10:39 AM
or for greater action - try the quick action throttle assy from Venhill engineering (Dorking).
They do mail order, and these cost approx £35. Just ensure you order the correct one for the return cable (we also replace the cable too)
Wouldnt be without them :cool: