PDA

View Full Version : engine rebiuld

relic
24-08-2004, 07:09 PM
Just got my first Ducati it's a M900 (carb) with a damaged crank case. The chain snapped and wrapped around the front sprocket cracking the crank case. The plan is to strip the engine, get the crank case welded, then rebuild the engine.

]NOW THE QUESTIONS[/U]

Which workshop manual should i use?

Should i use Ducati gaskets?

What other work should i do while its in bits?

Should i get a second hand engine?

Should i break it for spares?

spacemonkey
24-08-2004, 07:47 PM
Don't know how old the bike is, but could be an idea to do the rings while it's apart. Some Ducati gaskets are no longer available, from what I hear, but they do a special instant gasket that dissolves or whatever so as no lumps float around the engine. If the bike was poorly run in then bore glaze would be a prob, hence, do the rings to be safe. The ring sets are bloody expensive though. I was charged £160 just for the ring sets!!! Try www.spareshack.com (or.co.uk??) for spare parts at a greatly reduced rate. You could try to get a second hand engine but you'd have more luck getting a two headed cat at Tescos.

A Yerbury
24-08-2004, 07:57 PM
the only manual is Haynes and ducati now do threebond instant gasket for the engine, very easy and safe as it doesnt harden up. it looks like you have ducati brand toothpaste which is a good thing I think. your choices seem a tad extreme I take it the crack cant be welded in situ? and option 5 is linked (logically) with option 4!