PDA

View Full Version : Madhatters Monster - Trashed - Help!

madhatter
23-08-2004, 08:07 AM
Those of you who know me, will be aware that I have put a lot of effort into buying a handlebar fairing, bellypan, seat cowl, 2002 tea tray, new indicators, carbon side panels and exhaust guards, ART anodised exhaust cans etc and have spent time doing corse pin-striping and other similar touches to personalise my Monster.

So, you can imaging my pleasure when yesterday around 4.00pm on my way back from the Northants NCC Bike show, I passed a garage on the brow of a hill on the A5, which had an accident with approximately 45 gallons of white paint running across my lane of the road!! :eek: :eek: With traffic coming in the other direction and nowhere to go, I went through this wave of white paint at around 65mph!! :eek: :eek: . I was 45 miles from home and when I got to a Petrol Station with a Jet Wash, it turned out to be gloss paint, not emusion.

My Black Monnie looked like someone had thrown a 10 gallon bucket of white paint at the front of it. Wheels, hugger, frame, lights, clocks, tank and all the goodies that I mentioned above!! :eek: :eek:

After five hours of scrubbing with white spirit, Mrs Madhatter and I have removed about 95% of it and I think some black T-Cut will remove the last from the plastic and carbon bits. Most of it has gone from my black wheels, and the hugger, frame, lights, clocks, tank etc.

I am left however with the undertray completely smothered in white paint, which I couldn't get off in time. This I will just spray with black paint, unless someone out there has one or knows of one that I can have???

The engine is also now half matt silver and half gloss white! :eek: My question is; as this is a non-high temperature engine paint, will it crack and craze if I get the engine nice and hot and allow me to scrub it off??? Any ideas from anybody???

I know I should have done it as an insurance job, but with the blind panic that set in, all I could think of was getting the paint off before it completely dried. Plus I don't want to pay higher premiums!

Pete S4 has gone off up the A5 this morning to get some photographs of the site and try to get the name of the garage owner, I would like to try to get some compensation either through mutual agreement, or through a small claims court. Any advice from our legal gurus; Nic the Breif or Little Monster?? What are my chances :confused:

So....that's my sorry tale of woe.....I'm now completely and utterly pi55ed off!!! :mad:

Chris
23-08-2004, 08:13 AM
****!!! I would have stopped there and then. I'm sure you should be able to claim compensation, you shouldn't have to claim it off your own insurance. There must be numerous other drivers in the same situation. You were lucky to not have skidded on it, wet paint is probably quite slippy. Do you have white chicken strips now?

madhatter
23-08-2004, 08:20 AM
****!!! I would have stopped there and then. I'm sure you should be able to claim compensation, you shouldn't have to claim it off your own insurance. There must be numerous other drivers in the same situation. You were lucky to not have skidded on it, wet paint is probably quite slippy. Do you have white chicken strips now?

I had Mrs Madhatter with me on her 125 and as I said, the blind panic set in to just get the paint off as quick as possible, no rationale thought of stopping due to this. I hate to think how many other car drivers and motorcyclists also drove through this!!! As, I also said, I was coming back from the "Northamptonshire National Chopper Club" bike show, these guys think nothing of spending 20 - 25k on a bike, some of their custom paint jobs are over £2,000 - if any of them got hit by this, the garage could be a smouldering burnt out ruin with the owner nailed to the Garage sign above it!!

A Yerbury
23-08-2004, 08:46 AM
blimey! Its probably to early to see the funny side....Im sure someone at the spot will have taken details and given the amounts then the bill may be aware of it. The paint on the engine should be a lot easier to do when warmed up just going to take a while. good luck.
Alex.
ps.If you wanted a white paint job this would have been a cheapskates cause to celebrate!

madhatter
23-08-2004, 10:29 AM
blimey! Its probably to early to see the funny side.....If you wanted a white paint job this would have been a cheapskates cause to celebrate!

Alex, regretably the funny-side is a long way off yet, but indeed this is an excellent cheapskate method for re-spraying your motorcycle. :(

Our old friends at the Northamptonshire Constabulary have paused for 30 seconds from catching speeding motorcyclists with their cameras hiding behind bushes and issuing correction orders for noisy cans, to come to my aid. They tell me that although there is an incidence report raised for this, if the investigating officer can not prove that the tidel wave of white paint was the cause of the garage and didn't just "fall off the back of a lorry", I have no option other than to put in my own claim, to my own insurance! :eek:

At least this comforts me slightly that I made the right choice by getting home and "doing it myself" as I can almost hear the non-claims discount evapourating and the premium quadrupling from my insurers.

Looks like I may just need to repaint the engine (in location on the bike if possible) and replace the tyres (MOT chap said they need replacing in about 1,000 miles anyway.........Deep Sigh of Resignation!!! :(

gary tompkins
23-08-2004, 10:44 AM
If the paint is turpentine based (as suggested by the fact that you managed to get most off using white spirit) you will have to make sure you get rid of ALL of it prior to repainting. Cellulose paint will react badly with any turps based paint giving a horrible crazed/cracked surface finish. I found this out the hard way :(

I know hindsight etc.. is a wonderfull thing, but you said the white paint was covering your side of the road - was wondering why you didn't ride round it on the other side of the road or footpath?

Chappers
23-08-2004, 10:57 AM
I know hindsight etc.. is a wonderfull thing, but you said the white paint was covering your side of the road - was wondering why you didn't ride round it on the other side of the road or footpath?

He didn't have anywhere to go though, otherwise he probably would of locked-up and stacked it - Madhatter no more :( :( :(

":eek: :eek: With traffic coming in the other direction and nowhere to go, I went through this wave of white paint at around 65mph!! :eek: "

madhatter
23-08-2004, 10:58 AM
:( I know hindsight etc.. is a wonderfull thing, but you said the white paint was covering your side of the road - was wondering why you didn't ride round it on the other side of the road or footpath?

65mph up a hill....get to the brow of the hill.....10 feet in front of me there appears to be something wet on the road.....juggernauts and cars coming towards me from other direction.....I was travelling through it almost before I saw what it was....no time to avoid, brake, pull emergency paracute, nothing... :eek:

The number of white lines down the road beyond it would indicate that I am far, far from alone in having got splattered!!! :mad:

Thanks for the advice Gary, about Cellulose paint reacting with the turps based paint. Looks like many hours will be spent with a wire brush.....what about nitromors or paint stripper....or would this react horribly with any of the metal alloys used on the standard monster engine? :confused:

Looks like Chappers got there just before me.....that's about the way it was, don't like to think what would have happened if I been braking hard as I slid into that lot with juggernauts coming straight towards me.....Madhatter Paste probably...

A Yerbury
23-08-2004, 11:16 AM
I used nitromors on my engine and cases no problems, very quick clean and easy in fact. you dont need many hours with a wire brush either. get a couple of wire brush drill bits. I got one circular one and two small pointy jobs. I (being captain cheapo) didnt buy those stone looking kits but they look good for the fiddly bits, having said that the drill and brush combo went fine. Its all dead easy given the right paint (check my lengthy email!!) I take it you are doing the engine black? Imo the best looking and by far the most practical/easy to apply and maintain. Mechanic didnt belive my bike was an m reg as it looked so tidy. feel free to drop in for a brew and a look should you find yourself this way.

sidtheparrot
23-08-2004, 11:21 AM
Very sorry to hear of your bad news mate, I'm sure that if the paint had fallen off the back of a lorry, someone would have taken the reg plate and reported it to the garage.
I assume that someone would have been behind the lorry at the time and been a little pi55ed off when the paint fell off.
You could try reporting it to your insurance to see if anyone else has made a claim at the same time and date, all the insurance companies seem to work together (sharing info) so it might be worth a try.

Hope you get sorted soon

Chris

madhatter
23-08-2004, 11:27 AM
I used nitromors on my engine and cases no problems, very quick clean and easy in fact....

Thanks Alex, I did get your nicely detailed mail and it looks like I may be having to follow some of your "Captain Cheaptastico" techniques earlier than planned. I have one of the wire brush drill bits, will get another and trim it down for smaller details. Will give the nitromors a bash as well now I'm sure its not going to melt my enginer cases and cam covers!

Bugger the insurance company, I'll fix it up better myself! :mad:

madhatter
23-08-2004, 11:32 AM
I'm sure that if the paint had fallen off the back of a lorry, someone would have taken the reg plate and reported it...... try reporting it to your insurance to see if anyone else has made a claim at the same time and date, all the insurance companies seem to work together (sharing info) so it might be worth a try....

The fact "The Bill" seem to be investigating where the paint came from, concerns me that maybe someone didn't see it happen or report it....good advice about the insurance company, I'll ring them and ask the question, possibly report it, but still see no point in making a claim against my own insurance. There's enough knowledge and experience on this forum to sort almost anything!!

A Yerbury
23-08-2004, 11:45 AM
well said chum. its all straightforward and a good opportunity to get in there and have a poke around, take a few pics and have a nose about as there may be a body out there you could get some ££ back as compensation without troubling your olwn policy. once you have the fins, engine done the cases can be done without being taken off, masking is a drag but having tried both options theres not a lot in it. after painting the cases I used a bit of grease proof paper (cheap) as a barrier against frame/hoses etc whilst sliding the sods back in. (ok Ive removed all those bits now but when they were over the covers it meant I didnt mark them when putting back on.
tata.
ps heres your new temp club logo...

A Yerbury
23-08-2004, 11:46 AM
oops sorry I meant cam covers there instead of cases re paper barrier (you know wot i mean)

A Yerbury
23-08-2004, 11:48 AM
ps no lewd references to the smatterings of white goo in the logo plz folks!!!

Chappers
23-08-2004, 11:53 AM
ps no lewd references to the smatterings of white goo in the logo plz folks!!!

I was just about to say that those markings looked awfully familiar but I wasn't referring to paint :twisted:

I'm seriously hoping Madhatter can chuckle to that picture :confused: :)

Julie
23-08-2004, 11:57 AM
Hi Madhatter

Sorry to hear about this, hope you get it sorted soon.

Take care mate
Julie

madhatter
23-08-2004, 12:11 PM
I was just about to say that those markings looked awfully familiar but I wasn't referring to paint..... I'm seriously hoping Madhatter can chuckle to that......

:mad: I know where you work and what car you drive! :mad:

......only joking.. :D

madhatter
23-08-2004, 12:17 PM
Hi Madhatter, sorry to hear about this, hope you get it sorted soon.Take care mate. Julie

Julie, it was just a combination of absolute blind panic to get it the 45miles home as quickly as possible (knowing it was drying all the time I was riding) and then heart breaking to see the absolute state it was in, given the time and effort I've put into it.... :mad: :mad:

.....you should have seen her poor little tea-tray, absolutely covered in white paint... :( ...took hours of reconstructive surgery to get it back to shape......thank God I didn't cut it off, or I'd have a white stripe a foot wide up my back and over most of the seat!!!

See Jmo!!!!.....tea-trays are a valuable safety feature!! :)

Chappers
23-08-2004, 01:13 PM
:mad: I know where you work and what car you drive! :mad:
......only joking.. :D

Bring it on big boy :D

madhatter
23-08-2004, 03:07 PM
Bring it on big boy :D

Brave words indeed, from someone only slightly larger than the average Koala!

Chappers
23-08-2004, 03:27 PM
Brave words indeed, from someone only slightly larger than the average Koala!

Now now Mr Madhatter, don't be picking on little ole me, you know I'll grass you up to Mrs Madhatter :D

How weird is that...the Koala is actually my fave animal and that is no lie hun!?!? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Little Monster
23-08-2004, 05:41 PM
Madhatter - that is such bad luck, after all your hard work. bike must be looking a bit more Limp than Pimp right now then.

You'd have a valid cause of action for this one to sue for compensation - just a question of identifying the culprit - you'd have to go via the Motor Insurers Buereau if untraced lorry driver (and i can't remember if you can proceed for pure property damage against the MIB).

all things considered, it sounds to me like you've done the best thing in concentrating on getting the thing sorted.

I am not sure but I think that if you report the incident to your insurer they'll log it as a claim even if you don't claim under your own insurance - no fault claim. Not sure if you are obliged to report it tho. Sorry - i've got my Monday head on.

gary tompkins
23-08-2004, 06:09 PM
:(

65mph up a hill....get to the brow of the hill.....10 feet in front of me there appears to be something wet on the road.....juggernauts and cars coming towards me from other direction.....I was travelling through it almost before I saw what it was....no time to avoid, brake, pull emergency paracute, nothing... :eek:

The number of white lines down the road beyond it would indicate that I am far, far from alone in having got splattered!!! :mad:

Thanks for the advice Gary, about Cellulose paint reacting with the turps based paint. Looks like many hours will be spent with a wire brush.....what about nitromors or paint stripper....or would this react horribly with any of the metal alloys used on the standard monster engine? :confused:

Looks like Chappers got there just before me.....that's about the way it was, don't like to think what would have happened if I been braking hard as I slid into that lot with juggernauts coming straight towards me.....Madhatter Paste probably...

Ahh... I see no where to go - what a bummer. Nitromores strips just about anything (including skin if you don't wear rubber gloves) and may take the original paint off the engine too. If your planning to re-paint anyway this won't be a problem, but I think nitromores might attack plastic too so be carefull where you splash it ;)

Good luck with the clean up operation

Scotty
23-08-2004, 09:15 PM
today i cleaned a load of high temp paint off alu with some chloroform worked quite well

just thoguht id leave some verbal diareah hereabouts

Duncan
23-08-2004, 09:29 PM
Of course, you could just paint the whole thing white, fit panniers and a blue light and look like a Bolognese copper.

madhatter
24-08-2004, 09:46 AM
Little Monster....Thanks for the advice.....I'll leave the insurance company well alone then, I don't want a claim of any description registered and I don't need their assistance anyway.. :)

Scotty.....Slightly disturbed that you are using Chloroform as a cleaning material.. :eek: ...how many times did you pass out and even more worrying, what else do you use it for that you have it at home.. :twisted:

Duncan.....Alex Yerbury, a similar master of the art of "Cheapskaterism" as myself, has already suggested that I should paint the whole thing white in this manner.....Only Fatbloke is allowed to own a white Monster (it's written in the small print). ;)

Latest Update: Only a little paint remains on the front and directly underneath the engine, plus the undertray, which should come off with a wire brush. All the plastic and carbon bodywork, frame, lights, indicators, clocks, wheels etc are now paint flec free. My boots are however a complete write-off unless black and white spangley boots become fasionable!

And the Police??......not a sodding word....... :mad:

steviej
24-08-2004, 10:27 AM
Crazy skies are wild above me now
Winter howling at my face
And everything I held so dear
Disappeared without a trace

Ahhhhhh Earl Gray............................ :D

A Yerbury
24-08-2004, 10:41 AM
dont you mean that your boots are a complete "white off" a ha ha ha ha........not terribly funny at all in fact............or paint them all white and from far of you will look like you have a pair of "alpinestars white smx" boots, at a fraction of the price!?

Scotty
24-08-2004, 11:03 AM
ahh no chloroform at home its at work id like to say i only ever use it in a fume cupboard but i can't be arsed wi any of that never passed out yet though do often get a bad head when using it ;)

Chloroform is the wonder solvent of preference takes everything off but is very bad for plastic type stuff

madhatter
24-08-2004, 05:34 PM
dont you mean that your boots are a complete "white off" a ha ha ha ha........not terribly funny at all in fact............or paint them all white and from far of you will look like you have a pair of "alpinestars white smx" boots, at a fraction of the price!?

Alex, you've got a wicked sense of humour.. :lol: :lol: ...when are you leaving the UK? Maybe I should pop up for that brew before you bugger off to sunnier lands! ;) :D

A Yerbury
24-08-2004, 06:36 PM
you say the sweetest things steven@siemens. pop up any time for a drinking and making each other laugh situation. I am about to do that right now as I have a chum up from londres from back in the days. leaving end of sept. Normandy not that sunny but the cheeses are good, the ladies sound lovely and the vin n'est pas trop cher.
adieu.

Little Monster
24-08-2004, 07:50 PM
Madhatter - not advice, just a comment - would get struck off for giving any dodgy advice..... :rolleyes:

what are your boots made of that they are more screwed than the bike. soak them in something potent. they'll probably survive it. ;)

madhatter
24-08-2004, 08:03 PM
Madhatter - not advice, just a comment - would get struck off for giving any dodgy advice..... :rolleyes: ...

This from somebody who made a libelous comment about me being a pimp!! ;)
Now my Monnie is silver & Gold and black and white...a sort of italian Michael Jackson...thanks anyway for your comments (not advice), they were useful.

Little Monster
24-08-2004, 08:15 PM
pimp :p :p :p :p :p

Scotty
24-08-2004, 08:59 PM
what are your boots made of that they are more screwed than the bike. soak them in something potent. they'll probably survive it. ;)

Chloroform its wonderful

errm no dont do that :D

madhatter
25-08-2004, 06:49 AM
Chloroform its wonderful.....

Scotty.....you really are begining to frighten me.... :D :D

Got home after work yesterday and began trying to make a motorbike out of the frame, wheels and engine that sits in my backyard. To help keep me inspired with this, it continued to pi55 down for the next hour and a half. :mad:

Well, everything that was taken off and cleaned (fairing, lights, clocks, indicators, mudguard, bellypan, tank, seat, seat cowl, tea-tray, rear light, indicators, number plate and reflector, hugger, exhaust guards, side panels, exhaust cans) is now bolted back on the Monnie and it doesn't look that bad....a bit more TLC with some cleaner and polish and it should be ok (except tyres and some of the engine). :D

Thanks to everyone for their advice and support, my soul is slowing moving on the road to repair! ;)