PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Seals

pooh
22-08-2004, 09:04 PM
Does anybody know if you can buy seal kits for the clutch slave cylinder on a 900 monster or do you have to buy a full cylinder.

Ian

Albie
22-08-2004, 09:14 PM
Yes you can no more than a tenner I think . There are 2 .The piston seal and the front one where the grease is packed behind, Very easy to do. But there is a knack to bleeding the system.

Advice. Top up reservoir halfway make sure bleed nipple done up. sit on bike and lean the bike over to right until fluid nearly to top of master cylinder and then pump clutch .keep topping up now and again and bubbles will come out if leant over. just keep a little pressure on clutch lever and you will see them.

mick
22-08-2004, 09:18 PM
I'm pretty sure it depends which slave cylinder u have :confused: The early type u can replace the seals but not the later type..

Mick

Pedro
22-08-2004, 09:59 PM
Ian

forget the pukka Ducati ones, they're ****e! Went through three sets in one weekend a while ago!

It's more likely that the cylinder is scored and causing the seals to wear - if so, bin it and buy a new one, there's no reliable way to recover them. For what its worth, the later type of cylinder is much better sealed from the crap that the chain throws at it. If you have the early one (with the piston that comes out from the inner end) then swap it for the later type - you need a push rod too. The push rod is from a 748/998 and costs about £25 plus vat. Get the two little o rings too that go on the push rod. The later cylinders are about £65 plus Vat I think.

If you think the cylinder is ok but just the seals are knackered, then there is an after market piston and seal kit that improves matters and costs about £15-20. Can't remember who makes them but Spareshack stocks them.

Hope this helps

Ped

Albie
22-08-2004, 10:07 PM
Very good advice Pedro
Have had probs with my clutch recently as you may know. Sorted but as you say there are better aftermarket parts. Always depends on budget I guess.

NattyBoy
22-08-2004, 10:11 PM
Pooh...I have one brand new mark 2 clutch slave cylinder left in my ex dealer stock (like the one I sold Pedro)..£45 including postage if you want it..

Cheers
Nat

pooh
23-08-2004, 12:06 AM
Natty mines a 2001 900S is it the right one for my bike if so I might be interested when i am sure it is the cylinder that is leaking as i have stripped it off the side of the engine and i cannot see any fluid around it but am losing fluid from the reservoir. will have a better look tomorrow when it is daylight.

Ian

NattyBoy
23-08-2004, 07:25 AM
Im sure the slaves are generic Ian..its just the push rod on the early models thats different I think...

Let me know if I can help anyway mate..

Nat

Pedro
23-08-2004, 12:09 PM
The later cylinders need a 748/998 pushrod but otherwise bolt right on.

Ped